Window Bounce Back when Rolling Up

Hello all,

I have an issue with my passenger window. When I roll it up, it bounces back to its lower position again. This happens independently of which method I use including remote key fob and door lock (as per the manual). To bring it all the way up I have to press little by little until the point where it normally bounces is "jumped". Then when it is about 2/3 up it stops again so I need to go all the way little by little to close the damn window.

I have tried holding the button down for 5 seconds since reaching the bottom position and then try to bring it up to hold it for another 5 sec when in top position. But obviously it still bounces back mid-job. I have tried  to follow the manual:

• turn the key in the lock of the driver door into the closing position and hold it there until all of the windows are closed
  • release the key,
  • again insert the key and turn it into the closing position for about 3 seconds.

In both cases the issue to complete the cycle is that the window bounces back in its way back up.

Can anyone shine a light here? I have been doing as much of a search as I can but I can find no other input that the two methods already tried.

Video Demonstration

Thank you for any help you can provide

Edited by kris_kristofferson

6 minutes ago, Tech1e said:

Clean the window channels and just blip the window close a small bit at a time. When it gets to the top hold it up again until the motor clicks. 

I have already done that and sprayed heavily with silicone spray and it has not improved a bit. I just don't think it is resistance related but I could be wrong

edit: I have re-read and understood now what you mean. I will try to do it  but I think in one of the million tries I did today I tested it. Will let you know what the outcome is.

Edited by kris_kristofferson

Mine does the same occasionally when it's warm.

I believe it's the anti pinch mechanism to stop the window chopping fingers etc off. Not tried to fix it but it could be the channels or the gear in the window motor is also known to wear.

Edited by langers2k
typo

You can override the finger pinch torque limiter so you can close the window.

From my handbook:

The electrically operated power windows are fitted with a force limiter. It reduces the risk of bruises or injuries when closing the windows.

If there is an obstacle, the closing process is stopped and the window goes down by several centimetres.

If the obstacle prevents the window from being closed during the next 10 sec- onds, the closing process is interrupted once again and the window goes down by several centimetres.

You must try to close the window once again within 10 seconds after the window has gone down twice, even if the obstacle was not yet removed, the closing proc- ess is stopped. During this time it is not possible to automatically close the win- dow. The force limiter is still switched on.

The force limiter is only switched off, if you attempt to close the window within the next 10 seconds – the window closes now with full strength!

If you wait longer than 10 seconds, the force limiter is switched on again. 

Edited by pikpilot
font size increased to standard

Mine does the same, stops in the same two places when it's warm. I'm sure it's electrically triggered too, as it can do the same if I put the front windows up then do the backs and it'll trigger.

@Tech1e - You say about the motor, is there adaptation to be done or is it symptomatic of a knackered motor?

4 minutes ago, Tech1e said:

Yes, the adaptation is done by holding the switch in the close position when the window is already closed.

So let me see if I get the process straight so I can try it out when I get home later today:

1. Window in top position
  2. Press all the way down holding the button 
  3. Window in lower position, hold the down button 5sec
  4. Window in lower position, press bit by bit until it reaches top position
  5. Window in top position, hold the down button 5sec

Is this the process as you are describing?

thx

17 hours ago, kris_kristofferson said:

Awesome. Will let you know later this eve if it worked.

Thanks

Nothing. Same reaction as before. 

However, could it mean a different diagnosis that when it reaches the bounce back position it goes all the way down? I have to point out that there are 2 positions where this happens. When it is about 1/3 open and when it is about 2/3 open. In both cases it goes back down (at normal speed) to fully open position.

Thanks for the help

Easy to deduce if its reversing due to meeting resistance.

Stand beside the open door with the window down, press the button to raise the window in one go, as the glass rises sandwich it between your hands and give it some power assistance to overcome any tight spots, if it rises to the top with assistance its a friction/obstruction issue.

I had to do the above with the sunroof on my MK1 Octavia in hot weather.

Same issue here. Sometimes giving assistance helps, but sometimes the darned thing will go down again (esp. at the 1/3 point) even if I'm pulling it up rather strongly.

I had the doorseals replaced when I got the car (100k km on the odo back then) because they weren't very efficient at wiping water off the windows. Still aren't, and it was a rather expensive operation. How much is a new motor, and how much would replacing it set me back? Can any workshop determine if this is indeed the only possible repair or would you have to go to an official VW workshop for that?

• 6 months later...

Eventually took the car to the mechanic. He took the inside panel apart and could see that there is some resistance in the guides when going up enough to trigger the "safety bounce back" function. Sprayed some silicone down the guide and issue stopped. Only solution is to change the motor which costs a small fortune for the potential gain. 

Thought I would post what the outcome was in the end.

I have also known the bounce function to kick in when the vehicle has been stopped near trees, etc on hot days. The glass gets covered in sap and that alone, can be enough to prevent the windows from closing properly. You may even see the rubber trying to pull into the door as it lowers. In this instance, a good clean with soapy water, screen wash, etc will help. Amazing how easily just a little sap can fudge up the mechanism. 

• 2 months later...

It is due to the heat. With cold weather the rubber contracts just slightly. With the heat, it expands generating more friction with the window in its travel up. It ends up triggering the antipinch security and it bounces back.

Try silicone spray down the guides repeatedly and it should help.  

• 4 weeks later...
On 30/03/2020 at 12:39, kris_kristofferson said:

It is due to the heat. With cold weather the rubber contracts just slightly. With the heat, it expands generating more friction with the window in its travel up. It ends up triggering the antipinch security and it bounces back.

Try silicone spray down the guides repeatedly and it should help.  

Hi all, 

Today was the day of fixings this window. I was a bit surprised to see a rivited metal covering the guides 😔. Tried to spray some silicone via some holes after removing plugs, but does not seems to help 😣