vRS 245 v Superb 272 Sportline Plus or vRS 230?

MrRee

Hi

Time to buy myself another vehicle.

I want to tow a small caravan (1200kg) and want it to deliver solo in the performance stakes.

The Dealers know very little about Towing/Trailer Prep - Towbars - electrics, instead saying they leave all that to Tommy the Towbar man who they call in.

Taken a Superb 272 4x4 Sportsline out and it blew me away - very much like my old Subaru Impreza Turbo from back in the day 20 years ago! Brilliant!

Taken 2 Octavia 245 vRS's out and these deliver thrills too - I like the 'make believe' sound actually.

I like the spec of the Challenge, but they are very rare at the moment (some hold up in the build at the factory or something?).

Drive the deal are offering brand new prices which are less than the Skoda dealers are asking for 6,000 mile demo vRS's or cars from the Skoda HQ in Milton Keynes. Anyone any experience of Drive the Deal?

I see that Trailer Prep is possible at £180 and a Towbar for around £500 when specing a new car - is this worth it? Dealer says that Towbar Tommy can wire it in so it works (but I think I want it properly integrated into the electrics of the car) - waste of money??

The vRS 230's are so much cheaper than the 245's ... would anyone in the real world notice any difference?

I don't need the space of the Superb (only 2 of us) but the 272 4x4 is a blinder - what a sleeper on the road - anyone here own one?

Anyone tow a caravan with the vRS or Superb? Does it tow well in the sports trims?

I can't have a diesel as I do 5 miles a day for most of the time and the dpf will just blocked up - so, must be a petrol.

Any advice, tips, towbar fitting tips, car choice and why?

Thanks, sorry for the long post .... I don't change my cars often, every 10 years, and things move on.

Another thing, I want to pay cash but lose out on the 'incentives', I've been told I can take the pcp - cancel the day after - pay it off - no fees, just a day or two of interest, anyone done this successfully? It's going to take a lot of confidence to do that and hope it pays off!?

I have a 245 vRS Challenge Estate on order due for delivery first week in September.

I have ordered the factory fitted removable tow bar at £560.

Reasons.

Have a look on youtube and see how much is involved fitting a tow bar! External body parts and plenty of internal trim front and rear and then hacking into the main loom!

All this on a brand new car!

I have a mate who had a brand new Audi A6, who had an aftermarket tow bar fitted. The car was never quite right again ( wipers kept coming on randomly ).

Audi placed the blame fairly and squarely on the aftermarket tow bar fit!

In the end he got shot of the car. He also paid a £1000 for the fit!

So factory fit at £560 by the experts is a no brainer IMHO!

When removed it looks totally slick including the electrics being out of sight.

I ordered through drive the deal and they were super easy to deal with and I saved a packet!

You may still be able to order vRS in manual but I think the DSG is not an option.

Take the PCP and then cancel.

You have full legal rights which are easy to find on the internet. Apart from the fact within 14 days you have "cooling off" period so can cancel i.e settle the account with ZERO financial obligations.

If you leave it a little longer then yes you can be charged interest on the amount but again this is regulated by financial law and not a random amount they make up! You can also pay off any amount owing at any time. e.g you owe £20k. You pay off £19.9k one month. The next month you settle the account.....they can only charge interest on the amount owing i.e £100! All totally legal and above board and fully regulated.

Hope this all helps.

14 hours ago, MrRee said:

Another thing, I want to pay cash but lose out on the 'incentives', I've been told I can take the pcp - cancel the day after - pay it off - no fees, just a day or two of interest, anyone done this successfully? It's going to take a lot of confidence to do that and hope it pays off!?

You can sign on the dotted line then ring the finance company and settle the finance. 

Simples

Thanks for this.

I don't think the tow bar comes with any electrics from the factory, just the tow prep?

Any negatives to drive the deal?

What advantage is there in paying the finance off, bar £100, then clearing the whole a month later ...... why not the full straightaway?

Does the DCC on the Challenge affect towing?

Edited by MrRee

Ref Drive the Deal ...... I'm not happy having someone drive my new car to my home, can you collect? Or have it low loaded? I'm guessing these places are in the Midlands area?

1 hour ago, MrRee said:

What advantage is there in paying the finance off, bar £100, then clearing the whole a month later ...... why not the full straightaway?

In yesterday's Express:

IMG_1814.jpg

Gaz

Edited by 132

2 hours ago, MrRee said:

Thanks for this.

I don't think the tow bar comes with any electrics from the factory, just the tow prep?

Any negatives to drive the deal?

Does the DCC on the Challenge affect towing?

Tow bar prep is £180 that is just electrics.

Full fit is £560 all in.

After 14 days they can charge you interest on the outstanding amount. The smaller that amount the smaller the interest payment! 

2 hours ago, MrRee said:

Ref Drive the Deal ...... I'm not happy having someone drive my new car to my home, can you collect? Or have it low loaded? I'm guessing these places are in the Midlands area?

I am picking up myself from Great Yarmouth. Going to enjoy the drive home to Wales! Low loader is an option. But I want to make sure I am happy with the car before I drive off the forecourt! 

6 minutes ago, andygman said:

Tow bar prep is £180 that is just electrics.

Full fit is £560 all in.

After 14 days they can charge you interest on the outstanding amount. The smaller that amount the smaller the interest payment! 

I see, I thought they could charge you the daily rate of interest during the 14 days - but can charge up to 2 months interest if outstanding balance cleared after the 14 days. My point is, why leave £100 balance? Why not just clear everything within 14 days? Puzzled to the reason?

What if they have a clause which says if you cancel you must repay any incentives?

What a fantastic run in from Great Yarmouth to Wales! Brilliant! Catching the train there?

There's only 2 big Skoda dealers I can think of who may be able to swing deals with Skoda and that's Marshalls and Simpsons - I bought my Subaru Impreza from Simpsons Swindon 20 years ago!

Keep us/me posted how it all pans out ... 

12 minutes ago, MrRee said:

I see, I thought they could charge you the daily rate of interest during the 14 days - but can charge up to 2 months interest if outstanding balance cleared after the 14 days. My point is, why leave £100 balance? Why not just clear everything within 14 days? Puzzled to the reason?

What if they have a clause which says if you cancel you must repay any incentives?

It was an example. You could clear an amount then get a bank loan the next month after credit rating had reset.

16 minutes ago, MrRee said:

What a fantastic run in from Great Yarmouth to Wales! Brilliant! Catching the train there?

There's only 2 big Skoda dealers I can think of who may be able to swing deals with Skoda and that's Marshalls and Simpsons - I bought my Subaru Impreza from Simpsons Swindon 20 years ago!

Keep us/me posted how it all pans out ... 

Yep. Train there. Getting it from Simpsons. With drive the deal as soon as dealer gets your deposit they give you a call so you know where it's coming from. Will be travelling across country not touching any motorway. Have a route from my AA Biker roads of Great Britain! 

10 minutes ago, andygman said:

It was an example. You could clear an amount then get a bank loan the next month after credit rating had reset.

They won't have a clause like that! It's all a figures game. They really don't care. They just shift the units and meet their targets. 

If you want the 245 then drivethedeal is a good place to get it from. Ditto the advice about paying the PCP off early. 

The 272 is a different beast and yes there are many of us in the MK3 superb section. The main advantage is the AWD which means you can use the accelerative performance pretty much all the time, anywhere. 

• Administrators

We're right in the middle of a model change, the new octavia and the FL superb. So DriveThe.. don't have superbs on book at the moment.

For context I got a carwow offer on a standard sportline plus 272 for 28k. Most of the used 6mth models are that price.

A used model listed for 26k (loads of options) is getting 21k on we buy any car, they offered me the webuyanycar rate for mine, I'm going in with the same kindness. Given they also told me once, options don't add that much value on a used car.

@MrRee same predicatment, only two of us, occasionally 4 with mates for a weekend. Octavia is more than big enough. Mostly alone and want to make fun/good progress come rain or shine. It's a last car for a decade choice and whilst I am sorely tempted by other marques, I'm kind of welded to this one for the moment :)

I'm equally stuck between the vRS and the 272. I do feel over 240hp, awd begins to make sense for real world, real road, real conditions.

I'm also seeing L&K octy diesels for 26k still too high ( most of my journeys can be over 5miles if I walk more :) )

https://www.briskoda.net/forums/forum/171-skoda-superb-owners/

Edited by ColinD

• Administrators

To complicate matters more, I have a 10yr old 230ps volvo v50 T5 est, sat outside. A new Quaiffe LSD and remap is <2k, the car is only worth 3k... but that combo is still considerably less than a new octy 245. Ok I get I don't have auto and lane control blah alike, I really want to change and that change needs the new tech otherwise it's not a 'change'.

I had a 245 for a week and other than the obvious difference, it didn't feel noticably quicker than the 230 volvo.  It's very hard to judge as with the 230 and 245, 15hp on paper. The electronic diff and other stuff meant you could make better use of the power. The volvo torque steers a fair bit when in the right mood ;)

2 hours ago, ColinD said:

To complicate matters more, I have a 10yr old 230ps volvo v50 T5 est, sat outside. A new Quaiffe LSD and remap is <2k, the car is only worth 3k... but that combo is still considerably less than a new octy 245. Ok I get I don't have auto and lane control blah alike, I really want to change and that change needs the new tech otherwise it's not a 'change'.

I had a 245 for a week and other than the obvious difference, it didn't feel noticably quicker than the 230 volvo.  It's very hard to judge as with the 230 and 245, 15hp on paper. The electronic diff and other stuff meant you could make better use of the power. The volvo torque steers a fair bit when in the right mood ;)

You'd want the 280/272 for a change then. Otherwise I don't see the point in replacing a (assuming) good front driver with another front driver with the similar power. 

• Administrators

Quite and for @MrRee the 272 from scoobie might be a similar 'change'. That said the interiors/tech from 10+years is a significant difference. Even more so if the model was at the end of it's run 10+years ago, meaning more like a 15year gap in tech...

Although I suspect towing with a superb or subaru will feel scarily similar in fuel numbers.

20 hours ago, ColinD said:

Quite and for @MrRee the 272 from scoobie might be a similar 'change'. That said the interiors/tech from 10+years is a significant difference. Even more so if the model was at the end of it's run 10+years ago, meaning more like a 15year gap in tech...

Although I suspect towing with a superb or subaru will feel scarily similar in fuel numbers.

The superb will be more efficient overall with the new engine tech. But yes, in terms of driving performance I.e. speed, acceleration, would be similar. But DSG is a whole new experience compared to a manual. 

Thanks to all for their comments ..... is the best Carwow figure the very best that can be achieved through the dealer network if I go in alone - ie, without the huge buying power of Drive the ... ?

Anyone haggled the Carwow price down? There's £1000 difference, enough to spec a sunroof and pay for 2 years car tax!

• Administrators

There is more in the pot. Carwow have processing fees, skip them that's 300ish. There might not be much left on paper. 

Apart from the bit we don't see which is the target bonus. Hit that they get paid.

If course they all have expensive houses, gloss white walls to clean, everyone has to eat right 😆.

The slightly used ones are the concern for me pricing wise.

Some stick out as expensive and resoulty will not budge on price, others will and come down quite quickly. I've got a near 10k swing in the cost to change between 270's that are intrinsically the same and maybe six mths age difference.

I think a relationship with the dealer is worth more, in the long term, but ultimately it's dog eat dog and that guy might leave next week and just wants another scratch on his post.

I've not run a new superb through yet... Brb.

There is apparently a way to check if a car has trailer prep - a code in the boot? Something like PD7?

I have looked as some say it's on the boot floor, there is a white paper sticker on the underside of the floor with numbers on - is this it?

Anyone got a photo with this code on so I can know what I'm looking for?