Terrible BCA return experience

So sadly the much loved 2017 SE Tech had to go back on Thursday. I would have extended had the monthly not more than doubled in price (WTAF?).

Anyway the car was freshly cleaned and pretty much A1 condition, I had picked up 3 small stone chips that I think are absolutely expected over two years on the bumper and bonnet, all seemingly within the parameters on the BCA guidelines.

After nearly two hours of inspection the BCA rep asks me to sign the report, obviously I ask whether there is any return cost and he said yes around £350.

I ask him to show me what for, and he points to five marks, four stone chips and one mark on the door sill.

I get my cleaning cloth out and the dirty mark on the sill disappears....

So that's four chips in total still totaling £350...

I ask him to give me a cost breakdown and to remove the cost for the one I have just cleaned....

"Sorry can't do that as the report is already submitted" 

I ask again and am told that BCA will likely waive the costs for the chips but suggests I take my own photos, which if course I do.

Driver departs with car, I am still unclear what the cost is so I am straight on the phone to BCA and VWFS to complain - but nothing can be done until report is processed.

I am told that takes 24 hours so I try again yesterday (Friday) , three times and am promised a call back - nothing.

Is my experience unique?

VWFS have really hacked me off for a number of reasons, both with the crazy extension costs (after first being given a completely wrong price) and that despite agreeing an informal extension they claim no knowledge of that.

Terrible service has tarnished a nice car and decent PCH deal in 2017.

Still not sure what to replace the Superb with, Volvo still looks a good option but not convinced.

Edited by Flatjack

Unfortunately this is what can happen when returning a pcp/lease car and some auction sites  are worse than others. 

Could you not have touched  up the stone chips beforehand yourself  ?

Might have saved you a few Bob 😎

2 hours ago, Flatjack said:

Still not sure what to replace the Superb with, Volvo still looks a good option but not convinced.

I'm surprised that you didn't line something up prior to your old one going back?

5 hours ago, john999boy said:

I'm surprised that you didn't line something up prior to your old one going back?

What is there of the space, comfort and performance available that comes close?

• Audi A4 is lovely car but smaller and claustrophobic in comparison. Also very dark inside. 
  • Octavia is a step down, has a handbrake and those lights. New model is months away.
  • Karoq just isn't of the same standard
  • Audi A6 comes close in most areas but is very expensive in a decent spec
  • V60 comes close in most areas but is very expensive in a decent spec
  • V90 cheapest available replacement and best VFM but its a huge car
  • E Class nice but costly.
  • New Superb wasn't available when I needed to order and now it is its just off the scale in terms of monthly PCH

So what else is there????

1 hour ago, Flatjack said:

What is there of the space, comfort and performance available that comes close?

• Audi A4 is lovely car but smaller and claustrophobic in comparison. Also very dark inside. 
  • Octavia is a step down, has a handbrake and those lights. New model is months away.
  • Karoq just isn't of the same standard
  • Audi A6 comes close in most areas but is very expensive in a decent spec
  • V60 comes close in most areas but is very expensive in a decent spec
  • V90 cheapest available replacement and best VFM but its a huge car
  • E Class nice but costly.
  • New Superb wasn't available when I needed to order and now it is its just off the scale in terms of monthly PCH

So what else is there????

V90 surely isn't much bigger than the superb. 

Could have considered buying the superb at end of lease? This is one of the reasons I dislike PCP as it is uncertain you'll get another good deal at the end. That is assuming you got a stonker deal in the first place, and liked the car. Maybe look at a Passat or arteon? 

I could have purchased at end of the PCH but BCA were asking too much.

i am basing a two year old Superb loosing £4K a year for next two years and at that price I can get a new V90 without any risk.

i can get a brand new A4 Avant Auto with Tech Pack for similar money (remaining old B9 model stock).

V60 and A6 are both at least £50 more per month than both on PCH.

@Flatjack Before I got my Superb I had an i40 estate. When that came to the end of a 5 year lease (long time)... I had it cleaned and detailed in and out.

There were a couple of stone chips on the bonnet, but Lombard finance had a guide as to what was accepted as fair wear and tear and some alloy scuffs too.

I took tons of photos as I was expecting some sort of bullsh... from them; they didn't disappoint and told me that there was a mismatch in the paint colours on the doors from a dodgy repair, which was interesting as I'd had the bonnet changed after someone reversed a low loader into me but never the doors. However, they were asked to provide evidence of this, oh and by the way they said they wanted £950 too because of the damage!

They continued that they had photographic evidence and they sent a couple to me. They told me that there was a crease in the door skin that hadn't been repaired properly.

As you can see in the photo there is no dicky repair and the crease they referred to was part of the body styling.

They continued wanting the money threatening court if we didn't pay up.

The auction house was Manheim in Leeds but I found out that the chargeback on Lease cars is a £120million business so no wonder they try it on with everyone.

We were told that they would drop the charge if we leased another car - thanks but no!

We asked them to stop the threats as they were flogging a dead horse with their arguments and we'd counter claim.

A couple of days later the offered a GOGW and dropped their claim (how nice of them 🤔).

My Superb has 1 year left on its PCP but my intention is to buy it outright when the finance expires so fingers crossed I won't have to deal with this boococks again..

IMAG1008.jpg

• Like 1

All chips in my situation were 3mm or less however I was still charged over and above the guide price for those.

That is why I was so incredulous!

This is one, I mean its 1mm at most.......🙂

(See attached)

chip_1.jpg

17 hours ago, Flatjack said:

I could have purchased at end of the PCH but BCA were asking too much.

i am basing a two year old Superb loosing £4K a year for next two years and at that price I can get a new V90 without any risk.

i can get a brand new A4 Avant Auto with Tech Pack for similar money (remaining old B9 model stock).

V60 and A6 are both at least £50 more per month than both on PCH.

You'd have to plan to keep the car longer for the figures to make sense. 

But I do wonder is it really only 4k a year for a new v90 on pcp? 300per month plus 1k initial? That's quite a steal. 

End of the day PCP is perpetual. With outright ownership, yes you might be losing the same or more in depreciation for the first 4 years or so but after that, it's all good stuff and you get options. 

The inconsistency of inspection has put me off PCP and PCH, 

I had a Yeti on 2 year deal, for some reason BCA sent someone to fully check the car day before pickup, he noted it as clean, no marks, and put a BCA inspected sticker on windscreen. Next day driver came to collect and he decided it needed inspecting again, and was now dirty.  How it got from clean to dirty whilst parked on my drive in the dry in 15 hours just proves the oiks they employ make up their own standards and ignore the guidelines. 

We have had our other car, a Roomster, over 6 years, much nicer feeling once it is fully paid for, and you can keep it as long as you like.  No worrying about if next car will be delivered on time and how much per month.  We will part exchange it on our timetable, (probably in 2 years) not at a set date

• Like 2

@Flatjack Any further news on the charges?  Did you contest? The charges schedule is via the link, see screen shot, but if you are within damage lints then NO! Don't pay.

https://www.vwfinance.co.uk/en/privatecustomers/how_agreements_work/contract_hire/at_the_end_of_agreement.html

Screenshot 2019-07-31 at 13.44.19.png

Edited by Bud

On 28/07/2019 at 13:27, Flatjack said:

Yes see just above, its four per panel.

There we was just the one the bonnet 🙂

Still fuming....

why did'nt you not just touch it up yourself ?

you might have got away with it  😎

This one is VWFS, the last one (Octavia) was Alphabet.

Alphabet also use BCA and they had a two stage process.  Inspector comes and checks the car over, advises no charges...  I was expecting a wheel scrape to be charged but had checked beforehand and their charge was cheaper than chips away.  The inspector advised it was within allowance and there were no charges, left me with a copy of his report and left saying a collection driver would be along.

An hour later the driver arrived and started inspecting the car.  I challenged him, told him it had been done and showed him m copy.  He looked disappointed, stopped the inspection and took the car . . . . 

Will see what happens when this one goes back.

So far I prefer Alphabet - their tyre policy covers more and I hate VW asking for mileage every time I call - it is not rented on 2000 miles a month but 24000 a year, I can do all 24000 in one month if I want!