Karoq seats uncomfortable?

headshotskoda

Hi Guys.

I have a brand new Karoq Style version and just finding it so hard to get use to the bucket seats on them, they are doing some number on my back.

Anyone else having similar issues? Especially feeling it on the lower back.

The car is lovely to drive but those seats are killing me.

I wonder is it possible to get different seats for the Kaorq? The current seats are not electric so i'm wondering would it be possible to change them to different seats that Skoda provide (if they do) or just  seats from a different car altogether?

Apologies if this is a silly question but have you tried adjusting the lumbar (lower back) support? There should be a lever on the side of the back of your seat to make it stick into your back more or less.

6 minutes ago, HeavyMetalRich said:

Apologies if this is a silly question but have you tried adjusting the lumbar (lower back) support? There should be a lever on the side of the back of your seat to make it stick into your back more or less.

Yup I have, felt no difference on it i'm afraid

That's very unfortunate. I sometime get tightness in my lower back but I haven't had much since I got my Karoq. They're possibly different seats though, mine is a Scout model. Not everyone can get comfortable in every kind of seat though. I hope you find a solution.

I found the same when I first got it but within a couple of weeks it was fine, after altering steering reach / rake and fiddling with seat adjustment.

I have herniated discs and I'm pretty concerned by this topic. I ordered a Sportline edition with the Alcantara seats. The test drives in the Karoq fabric sports seats and the Kodiaq vRS Alcantara seats were good, so I hope it's gonna be all right.

• Like 1

@deltasys

I just recently got my diagnosis of prolapsed discs fallowing a MRI, not seen a surgeon yet.

Anyway my Alhambra is agony to drive now and so are other cars that usually i enjoyed driving up to the start of this year.

I have had to get out the sciatica cushion that i have used over the years in various loan cars and other peoples cars.

It gets sat on or used behind me in what ever way gives the best comfort if the seat is bad.  Often the issue for me is short seat bases and pressure on my thigh.

Last winter i bought a real sheepskin rug (rather than a seat cover) to use on my seats to give comfort.

Now with decent seats in my daily drive and also heated seats it is redundant.

post-86161-0-27317900-1437042381.jpg.095478e163fc78c377b0775d2fc8d402.jpg

post-86161-0-56439100-1437042406.jpg.34a8f1b7646b0744d577e753cdd46b36.jpg.08af72293261866ad4cc7d1ed1ea1a32.jpg

post-86161-0-97341400-1437042355.jpg.019fa7640d875ca3eb43c75e99ab544e.jpg.73d8966c384b87d7ec795a7f52dfe042.jpg

Edited by Roottootemoot

On 30/07/2019 at 21:47, Kenny R said:

In no vehicle ever have I been able to comfortably keep my right heel on the ground and move between the brake and accelerator.

Am I deformed? 

One of the reasons I sold my Octavia as I could never get it really comfortable on long runs but it does make me wonder how we all manage with no steering wheel adjustment and a driver seat with only horizontal adjustment 

2 hours ago, Sad555 said:

One of the reasons I sold my Octavia as I could never get it really comfortable on long runs but it does make me wonder how we all manage with no steering wheel adjustment and a driver seat with only horizontal adjustment 

I blame it on Brexit!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

My problem with the uncomfortable seat is a lack of shoulder support, and too much stuffing at the top of the seat.  My head is about 1 to 1 1/2 inches away from the head restraint.

I have tried every position known to man with it, and have now resorted to a small pillow with a strap to at least fill the void.

I have an 1.6 diesel SE-L with Alcantara, and I will be getting rid of the car in early 2020, as I cannot live with it now.  I used to enjoy driving, now I loathe it, especially now doing 70 miles round trip every day.  An expensive mistake.  I wish I had gone for a Tucson now, as I had one of these on hire in Serbia earlier this year.  Drove from Belgrade to Montenegro and back, and not a twinge.  Current car, I want to get out after 20 minutes.

Plus the DSG judders when reversing and setting off, plus it hunting for the right gear.  It is a real pain, and my last VAG product.  This is on a 68 plate registered in January of this year.

22 hours ago, Award1244 said:

I have an 1.6 diesel SE-L with Alcantara, and I will be getting rid of the car in early 2020, as I cannot live with it now.

It is a real pain, and my last VAG product.  This is on a 68 plate registered in January of this year.

As the above says, when it comes to seat comfort everyone is different. I didn't find the Octavia that comfortable (mainly due to lack of thigh support) but the electric seats cured that. Our SEAT isn't as bad but never had an issue with other VW products, in fact I bought my first Golf  (mk5) back in 2007 mainly because I found it very comfortable.

But just querying - you say you used to enjoy driving, the seat on the Karoq is uncomfortable and you'll never buy another VAG product.  Yet you list an Indium Grey 2016 VW Passat 2.0 as a current car? The seating in your Passat is bad too? Must say that'd be a first because of everything I've read and experienced about the latest Passat, I'm not aware of seat comfort being an issue - quite the opposite actually, I thought the Passat won awards for it's seating. 

Edited by Guest

? Who were the judges and who were issuing awards?  What car / AUTOCAR can make a car Car of the year before on sale to the general public or before their journalists even drive a right hand drive UK spec car in the UK.      Ps,  some are deaf dumb and blind and have no knowledge of 1.5tsi evo having issues.  Award winners. 

Edited by Roottootemoot

On 10/08/2019 at 10:28, Scot5 said:

As the above says, when it comes to seat comfort everyone is different. I didn't find the Octavia that comfortable (mainly due to lack of thigh support) but the electric seats cured that. Our SEAT isn't as bad but never had an issue with other VW products, in fact I bought my first Golf  (mk5) back in 2007 mainly because I found it very comfortable.

But just querying - you say you used to enjoy driving, the seat on the Karoq is uncomfortable and you'll never buy another VAG product.  Yet you list an Indium Grey 2016 VW Passat 2.0 as a current car? The seating in your Passat is bad too? Must say that'd be a first because of everything I've read and experienced about the latest Passat, I'm not aware of seat comfort being an issue - quite the opposite actually, I thought the Passat won awards for it's seating. 

The Passat is a lease car and goes back this Thursday, and I have bought a plug in Optima estate (6 months old/1200 miles on the clock).  The Passat had another issue with it keep cutting out when you come to restart it when hot.  It was never sorted properly by the dealers or VW, who insisted that it was a software glitch.  But multiple resets/change of fobs etc did not solve it.

Regarding the seating, the Passat was fine as it had the extending bit for the thigh.

The Karoq is just plain uncomfortable as I said, for me.  As you say, everyone is different, but this is the first car I have ever owned where I dread a journey of more than a few miles.  To put that into context, since mid January this year, it has now covered 14000 miles, so I have given it every chance.

To be honest When I first got my Superb II I struggled with the seat, however I think part of the problem was almost too much adjustment combined with seat squab bolsters that were a bit too snug for my ample frame. Despite being tall and large I raised the seat slightly and for the first time in my driving career pulled the seat forward a notch and adjusted the steering wheel reach to be slightly further away - I also persuaded the metal frame holding the plastic trim either side of the seat base to be a touch wider  - now it's heaven!!

A lot of later cars for me are now over bolstered though - even Volvos!

Seat comfort can be unique to a person though - my best ever previous car seat was the one fitted to my Saab 9000cs

Edited by bigjohn

I don't have any problem with the seat in my Karoq now although it did take me a while to adjust it to be comfortable. With a lower back problem what initially seems fine can cause issues on longer runs hence it took a while to find the better setting. This is my first car with an electric seat with memory so at least when I pick it up from a service I should be able to reset it right away after the nine foot tall service person has driven the car.

If I recall correctly the best seat I had was from a Ford Mondeo estate from 2002, like driving a mattress that handled the twisties but required 2 post codes to park.

In future I'll definitely consider an electric seat with memory on the next car.

Edited by Hairball

• 2 weeks later...

I too have huge issues with the seats in my brand new Karoq. Get a pretty severe upper back/shoulder pain whenever I drive it, and I’ve never had any issues with back pain before in or out of any car. Really hope it goes away otherwise I will have to get rid of this truly fantastic car. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm really sorry for "bumping" the thread, but I've been driving my new car (Karoq with "comfort seats", as they're called here in Sweden at least) for about 2000 km now and my back/neck/shoulders are KILLING me 😞 

I'm all sore and have to stand up all day at work since it hurts too much sitting down. Never experienced anything even remotely similar from any other car (and I drive a lot of cars)? I've tried adjusting the seat in every imaginable way but to no avail. My emergency solution as of today is using not one but two pillows, as well as asking others to drive me around while I'm in the back seats.

I was actually at the world premiere of the Karoq in 2017 and have been wanting one ever since. I had a loaner over a couple of days but that one had the sports seats so I didn't experience the back issue. What should I do? Do you think it will get better with time or should I just try to sell it or whatnot (which will cost me a small fortune)? 

Anyway, lesson learned - check car seats much more thoroughly in the future before buying 😞  

Had similar problems, but solved with advice from physio and the link in this thread. Had the seat set to high and straightened the back rest. Took a bit of fiddling with settings to get it right. Physio gave me some exercises warned it can take up to 10 weeks to settle. 

1 hour ago, Mr Rubble said:

Had similar problems, but solved with advice from physio and the link in this thread. Had the seat set to high and straightened the back rest. Took a bit of fiddling with settings to get it right. Physio gave me some exercises warned it can take up to 10 weeks to settle. 

Thanks! :) 

I've always enjoyed driving and I've never looked forward to any car as much as I did now so I am both annoyed and rather sad about the situation. Feels hopeless. I've never had any back or neck issues what so ever and I've driven at least 20-30 different cars over the last couple of years - none of which have given me any pain or issues, and I haven't been forced to reflect on my driving position in any car. I honestly didn't think that a standard car seat could result in this much pain and discomfort. The Karoq has almost ruined driving for me (and I love driving and cars). Today, I managed to switch cars with a friend who drives a Toyota Yaris and felt really jealous, which is saying a lot. 

Update: tried a couple of new driving positions based on the instructions - didn’t really help. Bought and tried five different products ranging from pillows to seat covers and nothing worked. Drove a Volvo for an hour today and felt I was in heaven. Drove a Toyota and felt I was in heaven again. Back to the Karoq’s ”comfort seats” - hell. Words can’t describe how much I regret this purchase (even though I LOVE everything else about the car). I just asked the salesman if it’s possible to exchange the front seats to the sports seats (which I found much, much more comfortable) but my guess is that he’ll say no given that it’s a lease. As of right now, I would be willing to pay pretty much anything to swap the seats.