Best Dash Cam

I have a BlackVue DR650GW-2 - nice, discrete, easy to self install and does the trick.  It does seem to be quite fussy about what micro SD card you use in it though. I've had it for about 5 years now.

1 hour ago, Llwyngwernog said:

Advice and recommendations please of best Dash Cam .

Regards

Depends your definition of best i suppose?  I recently bought Nextbase 322 because it had good reviews, clear picture quality, does all the basic stuff well, has the new easy dismount fixing. It was also well priced - you can buy the camera, 32gb card, filter and carry pouch for £99 at Halfords right now.  I paid £84 a few months ago (minus filter) from Ebay -  VAG garages often sell them there, fully guaranteed.  You can also add a rear cam to the 322 if that takes your fancy.

There are higher models in the range which are bulkier and had features like built-in Alexa ( wtf ! ). Some may constitute those as 'best' but I couldn't quite see the point of spending extra money on features I'd never use.

I have the Blackvue DR750S in my car.  Not cheap but I bought it because it has a parking mode so will record any outside activity when the car is parked.  I also bought a Cellink Neo 6 battery which powers the camera with the ignition off.  All easy enough to install yourself.  Best of luck with your choice.

Not that helpful, but I have Nextbase 212 and I wouldn't recommend it.

• Sucker pad falls off the screen
  • Way bigger than it needs to be (quite tall when you include the mount + doesn't really need a screen IMO)
  • Time drifts so all the clips have the wrong time stamp
  • SD card gets full of parking mode clips which are write-protected and then there's no space for regular clips
  • Thanks 1

Very happy with my Nextbase 522gw. I think it’s a great piece of kit for the money and a big step up from the 512gw (I own both, the 512 is now in the wife’s car and 522 is in mine). Can get the front and rear cameras fitted from Halfords for £203 all in at the moment, plus a micro SD card but they are much cheaper from amazon than Halfords. Front camera alone is £119. 

The picture quality is very good, the app is easy to use and view/share videos from and the features on the camera are great. Not bothered with any of the Alexa stuff, personally. 

5 hours ago, maffyou said:

Very happy with my Nextbase 522gw. I think it’s a great piece of kit for the money and a big step up from the 512gw (I own both, the 512 is now in the wife’s car and 522 is in mine). Can get the front and rear cameras fitted from Halfords for £203 all in at the moment, plus a micro SD card but they are much cheaper from amazon than Halfords. Front camera alone is £119. 

The picture quality is very good, the app is easy to use and view/share videos from and the features on the camera are great. Not bothered with any of the Alexa stuff, personally. 

Where is the camera fitted?

Does it affect the sun visor?

Thanks 

4 hours ago, JD52 said:

Where is the camera fitted?

Does it affect the sun visor?

Thanks 

Not fitted in an Octy I’m afraid so can’t be certain but in 3 different cars (C4 Cactus, Qashqai, Arteon) I’ve had no issues placing it. It’s gone to the left side of the mirror, partly behind the mirror, in each car without any issues or interference with anything (visors, auto dimming mirror). 

Also found that the suction mount does the job well, too, and avoids having to use the sticky 3M pads on your windscreen. 

@Llwyngwernog as dashcam are a doubla-egded sword (ie. Can used against as well as for you) I'd suggest the best dashcam will have a single touch FORMAT SD Card feature.

Formate you'll note not merely delete however, being so small, I'd suggest in extreme cases, swallowing the SD Card should suffice !!!

Thought I'd just update this:

I just went to buy another 322GW for a friend. Halfords still offering that 322GW + 32GB memory card + filter + carry pouch for £99.

But when buying thru TopCashBack ( 3% cashback for Halfords) a further promotion code appeared, enter DASHCAM10 at checkout for a 10% discount. ( works for any dashcam.)  So final price was £89.10 less 3% cashback -  £86.

But then factor in Halfords offering £10 voucher for any purchase over £50 at the moment and...  I've also got £10 to spend in store.

Seems quite a good deal - even to a Scotsman!

Edited by Guest