Cruise control not working

Hi All,

Ever since I bought the car, last year, the cruise control hasn't worked.

I put quite a lot of miles in, so would really like to get this sorted.

Is there anything I can do to get to the bottom of this myself, or do I need to pay a fortune at a Skoda garage?

Thanks,

Damian

Hi Tech1e,

I assume that a VCDS is something that I don't have! :-)

Is it a bit of Skoda computery kit?

I'm also assuming that it'd be too expensive to buy one just to debug this issue.

Do I need to go to a Skoda garage, or use this forum to find someone near me with one?

I live in Somerset, in between Cheddar and Weston Super Mare. Not too far from Bristol.

Thanks,

Damian

Hi UrbanPanzer,

Thanks for this. I'm embarrassed to say that I've never even looked where the fuse box is! Does 'by knees' mean under the drivers seat, or under the steering wheel?

I'll find it.

And I've got a Diesel car, so thanks for pointing me to fuse number 30! I'll check it out.

Thanks,

Damian

I checked the fuses yesterday.

I have a diesel Fabia (1.9 I believe), but fuse number 30 was empty.

However, my manual seemed to say that Cruise control was in with some other stuff in number 32, and that one did have a fuse.

Does that mean that it's not the fuse? Or should there ALSO be something in number 30?

Thanks,

Damian

Right, apart from the switch on the stalk, everything else is controlled by the Engine ECU

Fuse 32 is correct for your car, controls brake pedal and clutch pedal switch and cruise. Is the fuse ok  ?

The brake pedal switch has 2 switches inside it, one for brake lights and one for cruise, if its faulty I would think it would stop cruise working.

Edited by UrbanPanzer

Hi UrbanPanzer,

I'm pretty sure that the break lights are OK.

We've had the car for about a year now, and the Cruise control has never worked, so I'd like to think that I've had breaks in that time! 🙂

I can't check the break lights at the moment, but yes, I'm sure that they are fine.

I have wondered about the switch on the stalk in the past. If looks like it should rotate further left to go to the 'On' position. However, I've tried pushing it quite hard and it seems to just be as far as it will go.

I've thought about trying to look inside the stalk, for any problems, but I've no idea if that's possible.

14 minutes ago, DamianS said:

Hi UrbanPanzer,

I'm pretty sure that the break lights are OK.

We've had the car for about a year now, and the Cruise control has never worked, so I'd like to think that I've had breaks in that time! 🙂

I can't check the break lights at the moment, but yes, I'm sure that they are fine.

I have wondered about the switch on the stalk in the past. If looks like it should rotate further left to go to the 'On' position. However, I've tried pushing it quite hard and it seems to just be as far as it will go.

I've thought about trying to look inside the stalk, for any problems, but I've no idea if that's possible.

Aaaarrrrggghh 🤭😛

1FF6375C-BF07-4A03-861B-9DBDAC2CEDB2.jpeg

• Haha 2

Here are the positions on mine.

The 'Off' is obviously off.

The 'On' position looks like is should go further. Is that right?

And the 'Cancel' position (which 'rocker's back to the left on release) looks OK.

Am I clutching at straws to think that the 'On' position is just not moving for enough? I have tried pushing it further but obviously don't want to break anything.

There was also a comment about 2 switched in the break pedal. Where are they and how can I check them?

Thanks,

Damian

2019-08-20 13.50.25.jpg

2019-08-20 13.50.32.jpg

2019-08-20 13.50.45.jpg

Hi, 

It may be a similar issue I've had, not been able to find any resolution yet :(:

https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/462808-cruise-control-not-working/

https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/407904-2007-fabia-3-cruise-control-not-working/

Would be interesting to see if you mange to resolve. 

Thanks 

David 

On 20/08/2019 at 16:20, DamianS said:

Here are the positions on mine.

The 'Off' is obviously off.

The 'On' position looks like is should go further. Is that right?

And the 'Cancel' position (which 'rocker's back to the left on release) looks OK.

Am I clutching at straws to think that the 'On' position is just not moving for enough? I have tried pushing it further but obviously don't want to break anything.

There was also a comment about 2 switched in the break pedal. Where are they and how can I check them?

Thanks,

Damian

2019-08-20 13.50.25.jpg

2019-08-20 13.50.32.jpg

2019-08-20 13.50.45.jpg

The only way to check all switch functions is with VCDS or a diag system that will read live data. Have that issue diagnosed in 5 minutes.  What you reckon @sharky09?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tech1e said:

The only way to check all switch functions is with VCDS or a diag system that will read live data. Have that issue diagnosed in 5 minutes.  What you reckon @sharky09?

Tech1e fixed my cruise control after using the VCDS to find that the rocker switch on the end + wasn't working, all sorted in less than 15 mins to fit a new stalk😉

Edited by sharky09
  • Like 1

• 2 years later...

i bought a fabia tdi 1.9 scout estate 59 plate with 200k on it my cruise control doesn't work either ill check the fuse tomorrow 

ive had 5 mk1 vrs this is my first mk2 fabia drives really well for the millage great on fuel also 

(i also have a seat leon  1p1 with 300bhp 07 plate crap on fuel getting 240 miles on full tank of fuel 

reason why i got the fabia to get more miles