How tinted are the windows?

My L&K is still a foetus in the factory but I’ve got a question about the Skoda ‘privacy glass’ which is apparently a feature that comes with it. 

Basically im keen to know how dark this glass is, especially at the back of the car? 

Can you see through it easily? I’m not expecting to be driving VIPs around but I enjoy it pretty dark mainly for the kids. 

So is it dark? Or is it just slightly darker than the front windows and I’ll have to take it in somewhere post delivery to get proper tints?

thanks

james

I don’t like strongly tinted windows at the rear (my mate’s Jaguar estate looks like a van because of them), so I was pleased to find that my compulsory deeper rear tint is quite mild - somewhat darker than the front windows, but still transparent to outside onlookers.

I think this pic of a Kodiaq with that tint shows it well - visibly darker than the front windows but not "limo" dark tint.   Your passengers can see through it. I have it on my Superb and my passengers have described it as "like wearing sunglasses in other cars"....

KodiaqTint.jpg.7a86558fd1aa39521f8c29b86cf79267.jpg

• Like 1

As above, the factory tint is much lighter than some other brands.

I would have liked it darker, but didn’t bother adding to it, as I did with my previous Superb.

And a Volvo 20 years ago.

C9890F8D-259C-4B7B-B56F-FD6F0AFA4591.jpeg

DC138A66-E05F-4BD6-8BA5-CA0017C891E8.jpeg

Edited by BoxerBoy

If your main concern is the kids in the back, you should have added the kids pack with rear sun blinds and remote child lock activation, or the sun blind option on its own.

3 minutes ago, Kenny R said:

If your main concern is the kids in the back, you should have added the kids pack with rear sun blinds and remote child lock activation, or the sun blind option on its own.

Ive got that included but I’m sure the blinds won’t be up 24/7 so was hoping for nice dark windows! 

Thanks for the responses above! 

Darker windows may well look better in the daylight - but are positively dangerous when driving in the hours of darkness. 

It was one of the things that put me off of buying a Volvo as I needed to be triple sure when checking for vehicles through those windows.

Just now, C2atb said:

The privacy glass is a very very light tint I had my rears tinted within days mainly for security 

Thanks I think I’ll end up doing the same. 

I remember when having previous cars tinted the whole door panel has to come off to remove the glass. Could be hard to stomach on a car only days old. 

Was this the case with yours? Is that still how it’s done?

Another option is to fit sun shades. This means you could leave the rear windows down during a hot day without insects and crap coming into the car. 

Car Shades *

I have a set fitted to my Octy Scout which has Sunset Glass fitted as standard. 

Screenshot_20190117-193902_Gallery.thumb.jpg.6ff930e5b40906523eb64e926bbcb349.jpg

* I could have sworn mine came from Vanstyle but they don't appear to make them for Skoda now. 

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, ZacDaMan72 said:

Mines fairly dark - I've got the sleep pack, so sunset glass + window shades.

IMG_1943.thumb.JPG.38260c8cd415b91b83c352eaf84224a3.JPG

This looks great and is how I’d like mine. 

I’m a bit confused now as I saw a sportline today and the backs looked quite dark. Darker than some of the images on this thread. Possibly sleep pack. Possibly camera effects etc. 

Anyone know the the difference between ‘privacy glass’ and ‘tinted windows’? Specs for L&K on Skoda website list both!

45 minutes ago, ChinChiminey85 said:

This looks great and is how I’d like mine. 

I’m a bit confused now as I saw a sportline today and the backs looked quite dark. Darker than some of the images on this thread. Possibly sleep pack. Possibly camera effects etc. 

Anyone know the the difference between ‘privacy glass’ and ‘tinted windows’? Specs for L&K on Skoda website list both!

I would say that my picture was a bit dark, here’s a more ‘faithful’ posture. 

DD3BC9C3-2F6F-418A-A754-6EAEB0D87DE8.thumb.png.147e1b94e195599fc7d514f0591f7696.png

Privacy glass is...privacy glass, and tinted windows refers to the UV resistant green tint to the glass. I wonder if privacy glass is different to ‘sunset’ glass which is what I have. 

On 18/08/2019 at 13:04, ZacDaMan72 said:

Mines fairly dark - I've got the sleep pack, so sunset glass + window shades.

IMG_1943.thumb.JPG.38260c8cd415b91b83c352eaf84224a3.JPG

Isn't the sleep pack sunset + accoustic  windows (+ carpets + moving headrest and cloth).

So it shouldn't be darker than just sunset windows. I was told it's about 30% shading.

In which market?

In the UK all Kodiaq's get 'Privacy Glass' as standard, which is essentially 'Sunset Glass'. The description for the 'Sleep Pack' is misleading by stating "tinted rear windows" are included, suggesting you're getting something over and above Privacy Glass, which I don't believe to be the case.

I suspect the description for the 'Sleep Pack' has been carried over from when we had the base level 'S' specification that did not get 'Privacy Glass' as standard, so if you added the 'Sleep Pack' then you got the darkened glass...

image.png.03ff3d49612be8637cf3d8c7e18d35ac.png

My MY19 car doesn’t have acoustic windows I don’t think. When I roll down the windows it looks like a single pane of glass instead of two layers. I don’t see any acoustic branding on the little conformation stuff on the corner. 

1 minute ago, ChinChiminey85 said:

Looks much better! ☝🏻

Seems as though I may have to book mine in for when it arrives. Love the running boards too. 

I wouldn’t book it in immediately, there seems to be some variance that you should decide for yourself in person. 

D

54 minutes ago, toleander said:

This is my Kodiaq with sleep pack, so barely tinted that I had to do something:

20190823-085015.jpg

And this is it, with Llumar films on the back windows:

20190823-185411.jpg

Did you apply those Llumar films yourself, or did you get it done by a professional?

Do they look good from the inside as well?  (no bubbles etc)

And is it easy to remove? Since it's a company car I will have to remove the film in 4 years when I return the car.

But I agree, sleep pack/sunshade isn't shaded enough to my taste either.

I went to the authorized installer, seems to me it's too much for my diy capabilities. :)

No bubbles at all, but I would like a tiny bit more visibility from the inside. I mean, it's ok, but on a cloudy day or at night it could be better. Maybe a shade lightr film would be better (this one is LATI 15, maybe LATI 35 would be better choice).

Shouldn't be a problem to remove, just heat it with a hair dryer and pull, but be careful with the rear window to not damage window heater.