EARTHS

Jimt0

Hi. I'm trying to fit a dash cam to my 2013 Fabia Scout 1.6 diesel & need an earth point in the front of the cabin. I want to wire it so that the power goes off with the ignition, not like the standard socket. Any suggestions, please?

1 hour ago, Tech1e said:

For an earth? Anything metal on the body. 

I know that  I can connect to  anything metal.The problem is there is nothing metal accessable in the front of the cabin. All fixing screws appear to go into plastic.

Its been a while since I did it but you can find a switched live in the fuse box under the steering column. I used a piggy back fuse holder, and an earth can be found with one of the fuse box mounting screws. As above.

If you use the screw on the right hand side of the fuse box you can get an earth from that or if you  take of the driver side dash panel that will gain you access to the dashboard steel frame. If you want to use the proper earth point that  is under the centre console.

Edited by skoman

I have just fitted a dashcam in my daughter's Fabia II "properly". It was just in the 12V socket and drained the battery once.

I have moved the red / yellow wire in SB47 to SB25 - there are no heated seats in our Fabia - which is only live with the ignition on. As said before the bolt on the right of the fuse holder is earthed.

I have attached a copy of "official" earth points from ELSAWIN.

Earth Points.pdf

Thanks for that. How easy was it to move the wire. I assume that the fuse box has to be removed. On my MK.1 diesel Fabia, I found that the connecters on the back of the fuse box were almost impossible to remove without destroying them.

It is a bit fiddly.

Take the cover off the fuse holder.

Unscrew the fuse holder with a Torx driver.

Take the soft cover off under the dash above the pedals. It is just pushed in.

Drop the fuse holder down beneath the dash and look for the red / yellow wire in position 47. It is fused with a 15Amp fuse.

There are 2 purple squares on the opposite side to the main wiring trunk in the fuse holder. They are locking the fuses into place. Go under the purple clip on the row for fuse 47 with a small screwdriver and gently pull it out, later do the same on the other side for fuse 25.

Now unlock the wire from its position. Use the terminal remover tool to unclip the wire terminal from its position and simply move it to position 25.

If you do not have a terminal remove tool you can use small, long nails, BUT this way you want to disconnect the battery.

Put a 15Amp fuse into position 25. Test whether your sockets ONLY come on with ignition on. Job done

Push the purple locking clips back in, screw the fuse holder into its place, put the soft cover back under he dashboard.

Fuse holder.pdf

Edited by 26DIPP