Wireless Apple CarPlay

MiniEggs

Hi

Does anyone have Wireless CarPlay on their Scala ?

Is the connection reliable ?

What phone do you have ?

If not on wireless charge pad what is the battery drain on the phone like if you are navigating with Apple Maps and playing podcasts/music that are located on the phone ?  10% per hour ?

Thanks in advance

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

That is great to hear !

A few questions

1) Any auto re-connect problems when getting into car from house as your phone switches wifi networks

2) Can you listen to the FM/DAB radio at the same time as navigating with apple maps

3) When navigating with Apple Maps do you get turn directions on the driver display or only the infotainment

4) Does your Scala have built in nav ? If it does can you navigate with it at the same time as using Carplay audio (spotify etc)

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

We picked our Kamiq up on Saturday and have been using the Wireless Android Auto - Seems okay, most frusttrating thing is that on the Bolero unit you don't have the option to add a sim card. As you have to connect to the cars WLAN/hotspot for the wireless to work, you then lose internet on your device as it tries to use the hotspot for internet which doesn't have internet access due to no sim card. This means you only have offline maps (in Google Maps) and no access to music unless saved on the device. All said and done, that made the wireless connectivity pretty pointless! If we had the SEL with the other head unit that had SIM compatability then it would be brilliant. Big pitfall imo

• 1 month later...

Hi guys!

I have just received my Scala (Israel) and I love it!

Can you please share whether your Smartlink is wireless or cable-only?

I have a OnePlus 7T with Android 10.0 and an iPhone 8 with the latest iOS 13.3 but it only seem to connect to CarPlay / Android Auto via the cable, no wireless connection. 😥

Judging by this link, the Scala and the Kamiq should have wireless Smartlink already..

Do you have a wireless Smartlink connecting or cable-only as well?

Thanks, Daniel

Wireless Smartlink+ is an option is some countries. In the Netherlands, it is not an option (unfortunately). You can check if you have a menu setting for WLAN in the setup menu. It should be above or below the Bluetooth menu setting.

10 hours ago, jesse_s93 said:

Wireless Smartlink+ is an option is some countries. In the Netherlands, it is not an option (unfortunately). You can check if you have a menu setting for WLAN in the setup menu. It should be above or below the Bluetooth menu setting.

Thank you, I see now the wording "optional" in the article I have linked to.. Bummer..

In Bulgaria wireless android auto was being advertised on the site and it was an option with the Wi-Fi hotspot. I ordered it and before the arrival of the car i contacted the dealer to confirm this option. The dealer surprised me with : Ooo this option will not be available for now, there were troubles with the implementation, they can't make it work, and so on.  Since then the option had been removed. 

And after i received the car (they gave me floor mats and other stuff for the inconvenience) i learned that this function will be available with the KAMIQ :( . So, i use the USB.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have recently bought a Scala with the Wireless Smartlink option and it's not as easy as I expected. Part of it is the compatibility issue and Android auto not being avalable in my countries google store, but there is barely any information on the official pages of Skoda or Android Auto which doesn't help.

Maybe it has changed now with some software updates and was different before but I f**** around with it trying to connect Android Auto wirelessly and I want to share my experience and what I found out.

Android Auto (*Disclaimer* - I don't have a supported phone for wireless android auto so I wasn't able to connect it, but here is the information I found out so far and tried myself)

1) If you don't have Android 10 you need to download the Android Auto app. You better hope you are in country where it's available in the Google play store or you need to install it "unofficially".

2) You have to have a supported phone. I don't remember the exact models but it's some higher end Samsung phones, some Xiaomi phones, and anything above a One Plus 6T.

3) Once these conditions are met you have to setup the access point in the car. I have an Amundsen infotainment but the setting should be similar in the other ones (just follow your owners manual). The option "Infotainment system as hotspot" has to be turned on. You can setup the wifi password and the hotspot name there as well. 

4) For Android devices with Android 9 you need to turn on "Developer settings" in android auto. There you select "Add Wireless projection to settings" and then you need to turn "Enable wireless projection"  on.  (I am writing this very broadly because that's what I read online but I wasn't able to get it working on my phone. If you want more info just let me know)

5) Once you connect the phone via cable and setup android auto it should take you through some other steps to setup the wireless connection and it should be done.

There is also the "how will my phone get internet once I am connected to the cars wifi" issue. You need to turn on the developer options of your android phone and then enable the "Mobile data always active" setting. That way your phone will be connected to the car wifi but will use Mobile data for everything else.

I also noticed an information that the Wireless Smartlink might be geo-fenced for some countries and will be turned off automatically once you cross the boarder of that country. This is probably why it's not available everywhere and there are "technical issues" with it.

CarPlay

1) Compatibility is again a question here. I just know that iPhoneX with the latest software is working so your mileage may vary.

2) Connect the phone via Bluetooth to the car

3) The phone and the car automatically offer to use Wireless CarPlay. Upon confirming it takes about 10 - 30 seconds for setup and then the phone connects and CarPlay appears on the screen.

From my experience the car play is connecting exactly as I expected. Once the car turns on it automatically loads CarPlay an continues from where it was left. It also uses Mobile Data while connected to the cars wifi. Car play was just so much less of a hassle to setup, but I want to keep using Android so a phone upgrade is inevitable for me.

Hope this helps

On 27/01/2020 at 09:20, t0r3r0s said:

Have somebody info hoW acitivate smartlink on skoda scala and sWing radio system , i have button app but my dealer say me ,thay cant activate me this option

I have Scala with Swing also. The phone needs to support Smartlink. 

When I connect my Huawei phone via USB, there is no smartlink option as the phone does not support it. Only the Android Auto option is available and Smartlink is Greyed out.

However when I connect my old Samsung S8 the Smartlink option appears on the Swing Screen as well as Andriod Auto and it connects.

Both phones are Android 9.

I have access to other phones so will try a few options, but it needs the phone to support it mainly.

I dont know if this is any different where you are due to country differences  (Im in New Zealand)