Oil filter help required

Bigbadpod

In the middle of changing my oil and filter, everything was going well until I tried to extract the filter from the housing. The filter I've been supplied with is the simple 'extended doughnut ' type, with no wee knob bit sticking out the end. I took the lid off the filter housing relatively easily, but there was no lollipop stick plunger attached to it. Ok, I thought, it must just need popped back on the lid once I've got the filter out. Thing is, what was left in the housing is nothing like any filter setup I've seen after hours of trawling the net. It's got a wee spring assembly situated in the middle of a plastic cap, and I may be wrong but the filter itself looks like it's got metal mesh sides! The damn thing won't budge. I tried prying it out with a screwdriver and pliers, but it's only started to break the plastic top. Don't want random bits of plastic making their way into the system. At the moment I've kinda given up, resigning myself to keeping the old filter in place, but I really don't want to start the engine without taking it out and making sure the housing is free from debris. Can't even buy a new housing, cause that damn thing's still stuck fast in there. 

HELP!!! Please....

That's what I thought. Trouble is, it's stuck in so fast that I've started to break it trying to remove it. Don't mind buying a new one, just don't want to have wee dods of plastic making their way into the engine. 

6 minutes ago, Wino said:

The cap part is stuck inside the filter, or the filter is stuck inside the housing?

The top part of plastic is attached to a stem that runs through the filter and located in the bottom of the housing on two o-rings.

Should just pop up

9 minutes ago, Wino said:

Yeah, my point was, is he trying to pull the cap bit out while leaving the filter behind, or is he attempting and failing to remove both parts together.

The latter must be easier.

I see what you mean. Yes I would slide something down the side of the filter and hook into that and pull up.

Hmmm interesting, has something from the filter broken off revealing the parts you never see or has part of the cap come off and stuck to the top of the filter? Must be one or the other. Have a look inside your cap.

Update when you find an answer, looks like a bit of a nightmare.

8 minutes ago, VRS_White_Hatch said:

Hmmm interesting, has something from the filter broken off revealing the parts you never see or has part of the cap come off and stuck to the top of the filter? Must be one or the other. Have a look inside your cap.

Update when you find an answer, looks like a bit of a nightmare.

Guess you didn't read many of the posts that answer that very question?

Try and get the filter out first if you can, if not concentrate on lifting the central portion but be aware it must be a straight pull and not levered from one side only, when its attached the unscrewing is progressive and the pulling force is linear and along the axis but there is often considerable resistance from the O rings considering the large leverage applied with whatever is being used to undo the filter housing.

I am not suprised it is being very reluctant, it has already parted company with the housing cap, the ideal tool would be a slide hammer with some sort of collet to grip what remains, I know that nobody will have that but its to give an idea of the force required and the direction that it must be applied.

Good luck, its a cruel blow when something like that happens during what should be a simple 5 minute job and the car becomes immobilised, just like the guy recently with the engine that wont fire after a fuel filetr change.

4 hours ago, Wino said:

Guess you didn't read many of the posts that answer that very question?

Yeah sorry somehow I read the top couple of posts then jumped past some of the replies, either my laptop jumped or I was distracted by 2 unruly grandchildren and a Labrador mooching about.

I have only ever had 1 car that used this filter type and never seen anything like it. having priced a Skoda interim oil and filter change today at £200 I will certainly be doing my own.  

Thanks for all the replies. I've resigned myself to purchasing a new cap (with stick), as I'm pretty sure it's going to get destroyed by the time I get it out - my efforts so far have broken a bit of the plastic - have a good look at the pic. To the folks who have said it should pop right out etc, trust me - it's bloody solid! I'm not a wee weak-wristed nancy either...

The spring bit in the middle is a bit confusing, I can push it in and turn it ( but it doesn't turn the whole thing), made me wonder if there was some kind of alternative filter assembly to the usual 'stick and doughnut ' as pictured above. That's why I've held off on the brute force up til now...🙃

Update! Having ordered the new cap assembly, but needing to use the car in the meantime, I got an oil pressure sensor warning up this morning, so pulled into b&q carpark to see what the problem was. After trawling through this excellent forum yet again, I found someone with a similar warning a wee while back, and part of the advice given to him was the filter cap may be on too tight. So I went out to unscrew it and see if my previous guddling about had maybe broken more off the filter assembly than I thought, only to be very pleasantly surprised to see the filter lifting out with the cap!! Woohoo! I had tightened it up a bit more than I meant to, but it obviously managed to pop back onto the spline in the process. The old filter, pictured below, had a bit more plastic on it than the new bosch one, but I don't think that had anything to do with my problem. However, I did have to go and get a £42 diagnostic done to clear the code(s), all of which I wàs told were passive, probably historical and now cleared. 

I've no idea why that spline was stuck so fast, and then came out so easily when the lid popped back on., but I've got a  new one coming from tinternet which can stay fresh until the next oil change! Cheers guys.

20190903_112814.jpg