Yeti Winter Wheels as Spare?

PK316

Hi Folks

Can Yeti Winter Wheels be used as a Spare?

lve just bought a 2016 1.2 TSI DSG Yeti on 17” alloys that has no spare, only the gloop. 

I want to get a set of winter tyres and wonder if one of these can be used as my spare?

Questions

1.Winters seem to come in both 16” & 17” - would only 17” be safe?

2. I plan to buy the boot kit including jack etc with thin floor - would Winters make the floor too high? There seem to to views suggesting it’s either ‘too high’ or ‘just right.’

much appreciated!

pk

No idea about the fitting in the boot but you could use a winter as a spare but with the proviso that you would have to treat it as a temporary spare with a speed limit of 50mph as the winter, as you already know, has totally different grip characteristics. As to Yeti sizes, someone with more knowledge will come along.

I have 16" winter wheels and tyres and 17" normal alloys.

The rolling radius is virtually the same, although effective grip will differ across the axle.

The standard spare is a 16" steel rim and tyre that is slightly narrower than the 17" tyre. In some markets the car would be supplied on a full set of these 16" steel wheels and narrower tyres.

I believe you can legally use the winter wheel as a spare, but it must have the 50mph yellow sticker on it when used like this.

18 minutes ago, PK316 said:

Much appreciated!

any comments about the boot floor height e.g. with standard tyre used in winter with the 4 winters on?

The standard spare is thinner (195/60/R16) than normal road wheels (usually 225 for R17 and 205 or 215 for winter R16 tyres) and will not fit at all neatly under the regular floor. You will have a decided “hump” which will further reduce your boot size and also make using the boot more problematical.

Ask yourself whether you really need a spare tyre, you have the “gloop” but can also easily buy a plugging kit off eBay. Also you aren’t going to even think about changing/repairing your wheel by the side of a road - it’s one of the most dangerous thing you can do and people die doing just that as passing traffic kills them.

18 hours ago, kenfowler3966 said:

I believe you can legally use the winter wheel as a spare, but it must have the 50mph yellow sticker on it when used like this.

Must it really?  This doesn't seem to mention a sticker in para 5, just the 50 limit:

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1986/1078/regulation/26/made

I can understand why selling a spacesaver without a sticker might be a bit dodgy, but can't see that the OP can't legally use the winter wheel without.  

11 minutes ago, kenfowler3966 said:

How else would the police know you are exceeding 50mph on a mixture of tyres? BUt you are right, it does not mention the sticker.

I'm pretty certain the sticker is there to warn the consumer fitting the spare wheel not to exceed 50mph, not to aid policing that limit.  True "skinny" space savers are probably the greatest cause of 50+ concern and are easily detected.  

• 2 weeks later...

Hi folks

forgive the late post ... I’ve struggled to find this thread I started!

Got a phone call this afternoon from one of the three nearest Skoda dealers whom I’d contacted on this topic.

they said that they’ve now got some used Steelies for a Yeti with little used tyres ...

when I asked the size they said 205/55/16

Now my reading of this and other forums most Yeti owners suggest 215/60/16 are better both for looks and comfort, and I couldn’t find anything in the manual.

Your comments welcomed on the 205/55/16s, please?

Not sure that 55 16's are an approved size for Yeti? In any case your speedometer will be inaccurate because of reduced tyre circumference. Better find some wheels with 205 60 R16's or 215 60 R16's which are type approved and will provide a much better ride  comfort.

14 hours ago, PK316 said:

Hi folks

forgive the late post ... I’ve struggled to find this thread I started!

Got a phone call this afternoon from one of the three nearest Skoda dealers whom I’d contacted on this topic.

they said that they’ve now got some used Steelies for a Yeti with little used tyres ...

when I asked the size they said 205/55/16

Now my reading of this and other forums most Yeti owners suggest 215/60/16 are better both for looks and comfort, and I couldn’t find anything in the manual.

Your comments welcomed on the 205/55/16s, please?

Have you read the tyre size thread in the Yeti Guides section here?
That lists all the approved sizes.
As others have said the 205/55r16 are the approved size for the spare wheel.

Hi Llanigraham

Ive enjoyed many of your posts and appreciate the advice. 

Sorry if I wasn’t clear in OP. Ive read this forum and YOC and understand the official spare is a 195/60/16 tyre fitted to a 6J 16 rim. 

My reading of the forums suggested several members preferred 215/60/16 for Winters for both comfort and looks (roller skate!) but I’m keen to hear from folk using 205/55/16s as winter tyres. 

Id plan to use a winter as spare in summer and vice versa and aware I’d need to build up the boot floor support. 

Much appreciated

pk

Good to know that 55 16's are approved size. However don't forget that as your Yeti is calibrated for 17" 55's that if you change to 16" 55' s then your speedo will over-read. If you use 60 16's then difference between rolling circumference of them and 55 17's is negligible, so speedo will be accurate.

• Haha 1

They speedo's are not accurate to the actual speed, over by various percentage / mph / kph even from new tyres / tread to still legal tread left, tyre pressures high / eco or withing the lower range,

So until you might be changing tyre sizes or doing the business changing the 'brain'.

Being 'calibrated' is a bit of a wish and a dream far removed from reality.

Edited by Roottootemoot

Little point in fitting tyres for use in winter / snow or even just going up farm tracks and lowering the low points of the car going with the slightly less circumference of tyres.

Maybe just the difference between Ooo and Ahhh but it is supposed to be a SUV even if just a FWD one. They are capable on the right tyres.

3 hours ago, Roottootemoot said:

Little point in fitting tyres for use in winter / snow or even just going up farm tracks and lowering the low points of the car going with the slightly less circumference of tyres.

Maybe just the difference between Ooo and Ahhh but it is supposed to be a SUV even if just a FWD one. They are capable on the right tyres.

?? Its the rolling radius that matters and that virtually is the same within a few mm at most. Otherwise the speedo error would be even worse... or just possibly spot on with true speed.

I drive on 17" low profile in the summer and 16" winters in the winter! According to my true speed app the speedo change is less than 1 mph, and the ground clearance is near identical.

• Like 1

Thanks very much for chipping in Kenfowler3966 and Roottootemoot - very useful comments. 

Does anyone other than Urrell use 205/55/16 Winters and want to comment, please?

thanks

pk

8 hours ago, PK316 said:

Urrell, how do they drive on your Greenline? How would they do on a 1.2 TSI?

They drive fine and are nearly half the price of 17" tyres as they are such a popular size.
Lots on here managed to get them from the fitted to new cars from the factory .
I recently had 2 Michelin Cross Climate + tyres fitted for £146:60 all in.