Oil leaks and huge quote to fix

Hi, I'm in a quandary and seek advice. I have a 2010 Octavia Scout, 1.8tfsi. already had a replacement chain and drive shaft. I'm not a hard driver, driving it the same as my previous reliable tank of a Fabia. I drive 240miles a week mostly motorway.

Recent Skoda service noted 5 oil leaks...and Flexi joint issue.

Engine sump seal oil leak, rear crank oil seal, gear box oil leak, transfer case oil leak, and rear differential oil leak. A lot of work. Well over a 4 figure sum.

On top of that, two flexi joints in the exhaust. One of which I'm told is connected to the catalytic converter (one piece) - is this true or can a Flexi joint be replaced on its own? Otherwise that is another pricey item....

I cannot afford a new car!

Should I get the Skoda garage to do the work? Look elsewhere for cheaper garage? Etc etc never been in this quandary before.

Advice please.

Edited by northturton

MOT last weekend noted a "bit" of oil, but not something to panic about or cause a fail. But it was like that for last year's service... Noticing a little bit.. This year's service put red markers on my check list, here here here here here......think I'll visit an independent and get their opinion.

I'm not noticing loss of oil. And I have no means to look underneath.

Not many years ago every engine from every manufacturer would have that list of leaks (which I expect are nothing more than minor weepeages) by the very first service.

My MK1 Octavia engine was dirty, oil mixed with dust everywhere, the undertray always had oil in it and I would sometimes pressure washer it clean, it came from all the area you mention but never in any quantity that left a drip on the floor where it was parked and in 325000 miles I never had to top up any oils, it still had the original gearbox oil.

When I got the MK2 I was shocked how clean it all was for a to me dirty diesel engine, the sump and undertray were so clean that you could eat your dinner off it, that does not mean that if it subsequently leaks trace amounts from any of the areas that yours does that it will require any attention.

My benchmark is that I expect to clean the undertray from time to time, even at every service, thats its job to catch the odd drip but when I notice any drips or stains on the surface where I park then its time to investigate.

IMO the garage are trying it on, if you complained about the same on a vehicle you had bought from them second hand they would say "they all do that sir".

If its only an advisory on mot I would be tempted to clean it all up as best I could and keep an eye on the situation. I see no benefit taking a nine year old car to a dealer for regular servicing they will always find issues.

If it's not dripping on the floor overnight I'd not be concerned. The crank seal leaking might be worth keeping an eye on, as if it contaminates the clutch it could slip, but I suspect it's nothing to worry about.

The exhaust issues can probably be fixed for a reasonable price by going to an exhaust franchise, the main dealer is only going to fleece you to fix issues like these, which are entirely in keeping with the age of the vehicle.

I'd just get a second set of eyes on it by your local independent mechanic, some of those might be very very slow leaks that don't need to be taken care of immediately. Probably gonna cost a third of that to fix them opposed to Skoda. 

How much is it leaking oil, (an old trick is to roll out some wallpaper lining paper under the car and checking it following morning), cheap and easy to get in any diy store.

As already mentioned, get exhaust done at exhaust centre not main dealer, then seek out a good independent garage