Car intermittently won’t start, after sitting idle

Kitchengirl

Hi. I have a kodiaq 2018 2.0 TDi which sometimes doesn’t start after I’ve been sitting in car for awhile. Been back to dealership in NZ twice and they can’t find anything wrong, even replaced the ignition button last week, but it did it again tonight. If I’ve been sitting in the car with the engine off (eg for 20mins), sometimes it won’t start, like it has a flat battery... just ticks over and doesn’t fire. All the warning lights on the RPM dial come up, then all go out, except the Emissions Control light. I keep pressing the ignition button on/off (sometimes 10 - 30 times), foot on the brake pedal, then suddenly it randomly starts and all is fine. Any clues as to what this is about? TIA

8 hours ago, WaterMelonMan said:

....Battery?  I think there were issues with Moll batteries on pre 2019 cars.  This would only likely strike true if you were drawing current whilst sitting in car for a while using air-con / lights / Touchscreen / music etc.

Yes, sometimes I have a light on, but it happens during the day as well. As they’re all LEDs I thought it would be negligible, but obviously enough to make a difference. And once it does start, it goes fine. Thanks for your assistance.

This has happened to my Skoda Kodiaq 150TDI Diesel as well. Exactly the same problem. I think it is a battery problem. At least the dealer is claiming a new battery in warranty for me because of this problem.

No, mine is a Varta battery. Last week they replaced the starter switch, but the car exhibited the same problem two days later. Now they have run the "advanced diagnostic tool" on it and they have ordered a new CPU.... or whatever the car equivalent is. I'll update this post once that is installed. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, silver1011 said:

CPU or ECU?

Central Processing Unit / Engine Control Unit.

Or are they one and the same thing?

Engine control module most likely. I doubt they're swapping out the CAN gateway.