Budget All Season Tyres

k.young

• 4 weeks later...
On 17/10/2019 at 13:15, Skobia59 said:

It's time for me to replace the tyres on my Fabia and, having never had All Season tyres before, and considering the time of the year, I want to fit a set.

The required tyre size is 195 55 15 so I have a number of tyres of varying budgets to choose from.

As much as I would like to fit a set of the premium brands, I just can't justify forking out the extra money that they cost.  On the other hand I am unable to find much feedback on the Cheap-Cheap tyres so that is putting me off going down that path.

A good compromise that am quite keen on seems to be the Maxxis All Season AP2  but I am confused about the label information which appears to differ depending on which site you look at.  Some retail sites show the Fuel Efficiency of these tyres to be C but others show it as E. 

The Maxxis site shows these tyres to be rated E for Fuel Efficiency so I am presuming that must be correct, however I would still like to know why some retailers show it as C.

Am I being a moron and missing something?

Despite my sending emails to both Maxxis and one of the retailers asking for clarification, disappointingly I have not received a reply.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

On 17/10/2019 at 17:25, Skobia59 said:

In fairness, and following on from my earlier post, this afternoon I have received a reply to my query from Maxxis. 

Seems that it may be best to check on the manufacturers own website for information on any tyre you are interested in. 

Thanks.

On 17/10/2019 at 21:23, AGFalco said:

You can have the 'same tyre' but with different ratings.

This can be due to a new batch that has been retested.

Thanks AG Falco

Just out of interest, when they arrived last week, the labels that were attached to the tyres that I purchased, which are Maxxis AP2 All Season tyres and size 195/55/15, showed ratings of Fuel Economy = C, Wet Grip = B, and Noise = 69db.

2 hours ago, Skobia59 said:

Just out of interest, when they arrived last week, the labels that were attached to the tyres that I purchased, which are Maxxis AP2 All Season tyres and size 195/55/15, showed ratings of Fuel Economy = C, Wet Grip = B, and Noise = 69db.

So Maxxis have re-tested them and have got better ratings than last time.

I still haven't found any average rated tyres. ie Fuel Economy = D & Wet Grip = D. 😉

Thanks AG Falco

• 10 months later...

Right, I'm gonna drag this thread to the surface again. 

I did fit the Accelera's (only a pair) last December..........and they are still on the front of the car, maybe 60,000kms. I am going to buy another 4 and fit them in the next couple of weeks. I've never had a set of tyres last as long and I never once thought "****, I've made a mistake"..........also I'm still alive. I drive in all conditions unless I can't actually get the car out of the housing estate and I found these to be absolutely fine.

• 1 month later...

60k Kms is pretty impressive to be fair!

And for the price is also very impressive. You tend to find the cheap tyres significantly compromise on longevity in order to boost grip and performance to perform better in the tests.

• Like 1