Oil pressure warning indicator

I recently had my MK3 petrol octavia serviced (interim) which has been ok for a few weeks until yesterday when the oil pressure warning light came on a beeped a few times.

I managed to drive it home (about a mile away) and checked oil levels and error codes. It all looks ok. It fires up ok (following day) and the warning light doesn't come on. However, i don't want to risk driving it.

Is this likely to be the sump pickup or sensor problem? 

It could be, 

and it could be an oil filter issue as in the tech / fitter has not removed a rubber sealed / over tightened the filter.

The warning light might not come on for another 60 miles or so since the last time and since the bonnet was opened.

Edited by Roottootemoot

Thanks, I'll get the mechanic to take a look.

If it was the filter would that not have triggered the warning earlier? I've probably done 400 miles since the service.

So what's the deal with the waning light? Does it only come on at set times then?

With Low Oil light or message if you open the bonnet for 30 seconds and do nothing the light still goes out, or if you put in oil znd not enough the light is out and the oil is still low.

Then with some engines the Low Oil pressure light can come on before the low oil light.

I had it when i had hooky oil in a 1.4TSI Twincharger, correct level, wrong oil, low oil pressure.

?

So was the Oil Pressure light this time on the same kind of trip that you have done to get to 400 miles since the service?

What oil is on the Invoice, are you getting VW504 / 507 so 5w 30 FS III or what they leave the factory with for over 18 months. 

VW508 / 509 so 0w 20 FS IV ?

• Thanks 1

The warning came on and off after stopping at a supermarket and came on when leaving the car park. During the drive home it went off and on again, but hasn't stayed on.

Good shout on the oil, I use an independent garage that I trust, but will check the invoice.

Is it not only oil level warning that can get reset by opening the bonnet George?

If the OP is correctly describing the warning as low pressure (red warning light?) I don't believe the bonnet switch is involved in that monitoring system.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Roottootemoot said:

With Low Oil light or message if you open the bonnet for 30 seconds and do nothing the light still goes out, or if you put in oil znd not enough the light is out and the oil is still low.

Then with some engines the Low Oil pressure light can come on before the low oil light.

I had it when i had hooky oil in a 1.4TSI Twincharger, correct level, wrong oil, low oil pressure.

?

So was the Oil Pressure light this time on the same kind of trip that you have done to get to 400 miles since the service?

What oil is on the Invoice, are you getting VW504 / 507 so 5w 30 FS III or what they leave the factory with for over 18 months. 

VW508 / 509 so 0w 20 FS IV ?

Oil quoted on invoice as: 5w/30 fully synthetic low saps long life oil.

No idea if only the bonnet does the Oil Level warning on this car.

On mine with the Low Oil Pressure it went out after the bonnet opened.

Try it, remove the oil filler cap, drive the car and see if the Low oil Pressure Light / message comes on.

Then open the bonnet for 30 seconds and dont put the cap on and see.

Or maybe not.....

1 minute ago, Roottootemoot said:

On mine with the Low Oil Pressure it went out after the bonnet opened

How long was it before you started up the engine, since switching it off? Just cooling down a bit will help a low pressure situation as the viscosity will increase as it cools.

• Like 1

@Wino

I was about 1 mile from home after putting in Mobile 1 i got in a swap from a man in a van.

Oil and filter change, took it for a run, warmed up, thrashed it just getting home, Red Oil can, stopped popped the bonnet and pulled the dipstick and knew what the story was, shut the bonnet, drove home, changed oil and filter, then went and 'kicked his arse'.

........................... Re OP.

2014 so 5w 30 FS III is honkey dory.

Back to the technician then. 

Edited by Roottootemoot

This description is for mk1 Fabia, but to my eyes it suggests that cycling the ignition will reset the pressure warning, and it will only come back on if the conditions for triggering it re-occur. Maybe you nursed it home the last mile without exceeding 1500rpm, so it wouldn't be expected to come on?

If the oil pressure switch is opened for only 0.5 … 3

seconds at an engine speed of more than 1500 rpm,

this is stored in the dash panel insert. If this situation

occurs 3 times when the engine is running, the oil

pressure warning is immediately activated and is also

not cancelled below an engine speed of 1500 rpm.

The oil pressure warning is cancelled once the oil

pressure switch is closed for more than 5 seconds at

an engine speed of more than 1500 rpm, or if the „ignition

is switched off“.

Edit: info in subsequent posts suggests that the system on the OP's car is much more involved, so the way the warnings are triggered and reset is likely to be completely different.

Edited by Wino
  • Like 1

@magicpants

Check that oil filler cap.  On / off and all well.

@Wino

Closed the bonnet the Red Oil Can light was out.

New-used / Replacement engine in my Volvo S60.

Drove quicky someplace for 140 miles and on the Motorway the 'Low Oil Pressure Light' came on, 

openned the bonnet, dipped the oil, removed the Oil Filler cap, put it on correctly then no issues for another 3 years.

Not even an Oil change.

Sometimes life and car problems are the simplest of things that have you ready to cry.

S60 2.0 T Engine 004.JPG

Edited by Roottootemoot
  • Like 1

What's the relevance of the oil filler cap George?  

Ah, I see, this was on a Volvo. No idea how their oil pressure warning systems operate, but I wouldn't expect that a Skoda would necessarily be similar. Worth a free 2-second check though.

50 minutes ago, magicpants said:

Car was registered September 2014 and has roughly 36,000 on the clock.

Much too young to have pick-up blockage problems I'd imagine.

Do you know your engine code? Might be able to find some specifics about pressure switch(es) whereabouts on your engine if I had that. Usually a single-wire connector on the head, but not certain on recent stuff, there was talk of something inside the oil pump itself some time ago, I forget which engine though.

Edited by Wino

Engine code is: CHHB (5E3) 162kw

Been out to warm it up and it runs and sounds fine with no warning lights. Oil temp up to 100c and unable reproduce the issue, which will also be difficult for garage to assess and prove that they've resolved the issue.

I suppose they could undertake a pressure test.

Edited by magicpants

I've just had 4 days of incident free running... No oil pressure sensor failure warnings, no UBAs from the Front Assist system, nothing.

It's like the car knows that it's in trouble and it doesn't want to go to the car doctor (garage) to have a right good seeing to and have its automotive backside smacked.

39 minutes ago, magicpants said:

Engine code is: CHHB (5E3) 162kw

There are three different part numbers listed for oil pressure switches for this engine (amongst the item 7s on this page: https://skoda.7zap.com/en/cz/octavia/oct/2014-753/9/919-919040/

That suggests there are at least two switches maybe even three, as the pressure ranges are all different.  I'll have a look at wiring diagrams next and see what I can find, but dinner's ready now. :)

This may be relevant, about half way down this document: http://www.vaglinks.com/vaglinks_com/Docs/SSP/VWUSA.COM_SSP_922903_2.0L_4V_TFSI_Engine.pdf

Complex system if that doc covers your engine too.

Edited by Wino
added link to ssp

Update: been to work and back today, only 25 mile trip, but all good. No warning lights.

I already have an ELM237 dongle, but interested to see if obd11 will provide any further insight. What does it provide extra, in terms of diagnostics, compared to ELM237?