Ignition switch (w/ Kessy) restoration

• 1 month later...

Did this on Monday in my lunch break.

It really is very simple and straight forward. Took 15 - 20 minutes tops.

Was really having to press on the button previously and now the lightest touch switches the ignition on and off. 

Great guide and helped a lot. The clips are a bit of a pain but nothing too bad

Paul

• 9 months later...

10 months later and I sat in a car park this morning and had problems stopping the engine so when I got home it was time to give it a go...

Thanks to all that provided photos and tips so far - I've taken a few more to fill in any gaps.

First of all this is the (blurred) view from underneath the steering column showing the torx screw to undo

image.thumb.jpeg.d1bf7299ee53d86071831dbec412c1b7.jpeg

Once that's done drop the steering column to the lowest possible position and pull out the wheel as close to yourself as possible.

Leave the adjustment leaver down otherwise it gets in the way later...

Now pull the top cover towards you a little until you can grasp it and then lever it up out of the way. I didn't try detaching it at the back and just propped it up.

image.thumb.jpeg.3d49530eedb1bb4e8a4d83cafabd790e.jpeg

At this point I started the engine when I realised I had to turn the wheel.  First of all I turned the wheel a quarter turn left so that I could get to the left-hand screw. This is quite fiddly to extract once loose as there's not quite enough room to get the screw out without tilting it sideways and I lost it into the bottom case.

image.thumb.jpeg.a1fdeae7afad310f4a5c349145ad78c1.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.98cd5b8ffc99adb9a212a53afc0ef835.jpeg

Turn the wheel to the right to access the other screw and repeat. Strangely I found the access to the screw uneven as if the shroud wasn't symmetrical.

image.thumb.jpeg.1f46951e6c67b57e863c385487427393.jpeg

At this point the lower shroud can be gently wiggle downwards - don't pull it too much as the wires are (obviously) attached to the stop/start button. I found that carefully rotating the shroud around gave me better access to the connectors.

The aerial connector has a clip that needs pressing in with a small screwdriver in order for it to be disconnected.

image.thumb.jpeg.3c545b7112a7af0a25ad017baab14f5f.jpeg

The switch connector clip sits under the red arrow - press this down towards the front of the switch with a small screwdriver and gently pull the wire connector in the direction of the yellow arrow. At this point I took the shroud into the house to continue,

image.thumb.jpeg.72689eab483ed88d8efb8acc27bba71b.jpeg

To remove the switch from the shroud insert a small screwdriver down the side of the two metal clips and press the clips in. I found that I could do one clip at a time by gently holding the switch to one side. Then push the switch out from behind.

image.thumb.jpeg.4f689e6f8a9f6e1a9637fa268b7259b6.jpeg

(No picture for this one) The metal clips need removing from the switch. They have small locking tabs in the middle that need levering out a little. I used a screwdriver in the hole at the top of the clip to push it out. You may want to stab yourself in the hand with said screwdriver whilst undertaking the manoeuvre...

As others have noted the label needs peeling back a little to reveal the fourth plastic locking tab. I also used a couple of pins to hold two of the tabs open whilst popping out the other two. At this point I stabbed myself with the pins and the switch fell apart.

With the top removed and the components recovered the switch should look like this - note orientation of the circuit board.

image.thumb.jpeg.60ea99bc3713cdaa9df932ef1b9ca801.jpeg

When disassembled (and kept in the same orientation) it looks like this:

image.thumb.jpeg.9503bfadd210f7587e68b7939b0ffd4f.jpeg

I found that the metal contacts on the circuit board were clean and the dirt was on the blue contact pads in the rubber. I used isopropyl alcohol on a cotton bud to clean all the parts.

Reassembling the switch is the reverse of the above though note that once the metal clips are in place the locking tabs will need pushing back into position again.

Once the switch is back in the lower shroud and connected back up it's just a case of jiggling to have it fit around the stalks. Though there appear to be clips at the back of it they don't seem to engage with anything. With the engine on again the two screws next to the steering wheel can be reinserted. They have captive nuts behind them and I needed to wiggle to line them up.

To fit the top shroud look closely at the back - the two circled areas have a hook on the bottom shroud that act like hinges when clipping the top back in. This then helps line everything up to be clipped back together and the lower torx screw to be put back.

image.thumb.jpeg.f7edea59f0a568b53bbda039298e2d24.jpeg

My ignition button is like new again.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 8 months later...