Ignition switch (w/ Kessy) restoration

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick addendum to JFCarters instructions. These are super and were great to find; I would definitely not have undertaken this job had I not found this. My switch was getting increasingly sticky to the point where I was getting worried that it would soon fail to start at all. Having completed this job over the weekend it now just requires the faintest of touches. Very satisfying!

I would say however that this job while relatively easy can be a bit tricky in places. I wouldn't leave it until late on a Sunday afternoon which will leave you with the sun going down when trying to put the steering column casing back together again....

The following additional info on one or two points from the original may help anyone who follows. 

Its worth pulling out the steering wheel to full extent to give you room for manouevre on removing the case. (Yes...totally obvious in hindsight)

The 'four tabs to lift' had me stumped for a while as three of them are hidden at first! I've reattached JFCarters original image with an arrow to show where a gentle insertion and push of a small screwdriver will slide the holding clips on either side out of their grooves revealing two more plastic tabs. The fourth is under the part number sticker.

I'm sure there is likely an easy way for those in the know (and please post if there is), but those tabs nearly broke my heart. I eventually resolved it by inserting some fine plastic pieces under the tabs when I lifted each one. (Don't do this job if you're not in a good mood or if your well of patience is run low).

Once opened, the rest of the job ran pretty smoothly. I found conductive grease hard to locate so I just ended up with cleaning, letting dry and then reassembling. It may be that I'll be revisiting sooner than if I had the grease but for now its working perfectly.

All in all, kudos to JFCarter again for original post, and fair play for undertaking originally without having instructions to hand!

SkMK3_ignition.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, ReaF said:

Just a quick addendum to JFCarters instructions. These are super and were great to find; I would definitely not have undertaken this job had I not found this. My switch was getting increasingly sticky to the point where I was getting worried that it would soon fail to start at all. Having completed this job over the weekend it now just requires the faintest of touches. Very satisfying!

I would say however that this job while relatively easy can be a bit tricky in places. I wouldn't leave it until late on a Sunday afternoon which will leave you with the sun going down when trying to put the steering column casing back together again....

The following additional info on one or two points from the original may help anyone who follows. 

Its worth pulling out the steering wheel to full extent to give you room for manouevre on removing the case. (Yes...totally obvious in hindsight)

The 'four tabs to lift' had me stumped for a while as three of them are hidden at first! I've reattached JFCarters original image with an arrow to show where a gentle insertion and push of a small screwdriver will slide the holding clips on either side out of their grooves revealing two more plastic tabs. The fourth is under the part number sticker.

I'm sure there is likely an easy way for those in the know (and please post if there is), but those tabs nearly broke my heart. I eventually resolved it by inserting some fine plastic pieces under the tabs when I lifted each one. (Don't do this job if you're not in a good mood or if your well of patience is run low).

Once opened, the rest of the job ran pretty smoothly. I found conductive grease hard to locate so I just ended up with cleaning, letting dry and then reassembling. It may be that I'll be revisiting sooner than if I had the grease but for now its working perfectly.

All in all, kudos to JFCarter again for original post, and fair play for undertaking originally without having instructions to hand!

SkMK3_ignition.jpg

Hello ReaF!

Thank you very much for your addendum.

I litterally forgot to mention the two steel tabs on the sides, which need to be slid to reveal the plastic tabs underneath.

Sorry you wasted some time at this stage... I could have been more precise.

The plastic tabs are relatively delicate. I used 2 small screwdrivers to lift 2 of them and the other 2 with spudgers from a mobile phone repair kit.

Thank you ReaF for these essential precisions.

Concerning the conductive grease, I used copper grease. I guess you could use carbon based grease as well, always in a very small quantity.

Found JFCarter's post last week as my ignition has been getting more and more hit and miss lately. On one occasion I was sat on my Mum's drive for 5 minutes trying all sorts of weird methods of pushing the %$**£@$ button!

Anyway, I bought some contact cleaner from Halfords and got the car to myself this morning to crack on with the job. So, I fussed and faffed with the steering column shroud until I realised that I could pull the lever and drop the column away from the shroud, making it so much easier. Then, once I'd got the switch out I could only see two tabs (one partly hidden under the sticky label), until I sussed that I needed to gently prise the metal retainers backwards off the switch to get at the other two.

The tabs, the tabs, oh my giddy aunt THE %$**£@$ TAAAABS! 

One of them already had a crack along its centre line so was effectively acting like two tabs! No small bits of plastic to hand - I believe that there was steam coming out of my ears at this point. What was to hand was my wife's sewing box, and eventually, brain in gear, I came up with a masterplan. Some fine pins, slid in under the tabs, and I emerge the victor!

Out popped a rather dirty contact pad and button assembly. Having already raided the make-up drawer (the wife's, just in case you're wondering) earlier for some cotton buds, Hey Presto! - everything's squeaky clean in no time.

Refitted everything - this is the best bit because it's quick and easy, having learned from my mistakes during the first half. Well, it would have been had I not lost the final screw through the %$**£@$ POINTLESS HOLE to the side of the screw position in the lower shroud! So, having removed the shroud a second time, found the screw, refitted the shroud, and ever so carefully refitted the screw with the aid of torch and mirror, I'm done.

Ignition now working like a dream - all that's left to do is calm down with a cuppa, bask in the glory of £30+ and labour costs saved, then go on the forum to mention a couple of potential pitfalls for the unwary.

What, someone's got there before me? Oh %$**£@$ !!!!

Seriously though, thanks due to both JFCarter and ReaF for the excellent info above. 

• Haha 1

• 6 months later...

Hi everyone, I have the same problem with the button on my Octavia Scout, tomorrow I'm going to repair the button following these fantastic instructions but I have a question, is it necessary to disconnect the battery to remove the button? @JFCarter @ReaF Thanks a lot!

Hi &errece

I didn't for mine and no issues. Advice is; take your time, be patient, work in good light...and don't forget to breathe!😉

Best of luck. It's a very satisfying fix when completed. 

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Replaced my switch this morning using these instructions. All went OK. I bought a new one (about £40) as didn't want to risk being stranded by breaking the old switch. Whole thing took less than 15 mins and  was easier than I thought. I then dismantled the old switch and cleaned it which may now work better. It wasn't that dirty inside. 

Thanks for the pics, they really helped and saved me a few quid.

Thanks for this.. just popped on tonight as my superb has started doing this.. at first I thought I wasn't hitting the button right, but the wife has said the same thing.. mines 28 months old with 30k on it.. will ring the dealer and book it in.. 

• 3 months later...

With a 2016 L&K with 45k miles I suspect I might have need of this thread at some point. So far the starter button has been OK but just once or twice it has hesitated when trying to start. Not sure if this was due to the button itself or the ailing battery in the colder weather. 

Judging by the number of people needing this info perhaps this should be a sticky thread?   

Had my car a day and it started doing this (MY2017 but only 10k on the clock). Got the car through Arnold Clark and as there is no service garage of theirs around me have told me to take it to my local skoda dealer and they will foot the bill. Hopefully Skoda manage to sort it tomorrow. 

Am having to push the whole steering column up at the moment to get the thing to start and switch off! 

• 9 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Thank you to everyone , especially JF Carter, Daiton and Paddymallon. I managed to get the switch out and clean the contacts. Those little clips on the switch casing are little s**#s! 
I may still order a new switch though. Mine still needs a hefty push to work, though a big improvement.