Rear axle bushes how do I know the size?

Hi,

Wife's 2007 1.4 16V Automatic needs the rear axle bushes replaced. She has lost the rear end of it a few times at relatively low speed. I didn't believe her until the other day when it did it to me. Looked under it & the bushes are falling apart! I tried measuring with a vernier but it's awkward to see. I measured roughly 67mm but can't be sure. I see they come in 69mm & 72.5mm Don't want to get the wrong ones on order & get stuck! Is there a fool proof way of knowing without taking the car apart?

This page shows the two part number possibilities as item 9.

the 6Q0...version suits cars with PR number 0N7 for the rear axle, if you scroll up to the item 1 part numbers you'll see that the rear beams that have this PR code are described as "for vehicle with sports suspension"

I very much doubt that your wife's car has such suspension.  Look for a part number sticker on the rear beam if you want to be very sure.  Have a good look at the rear beam while you're at it; perhaps it has got bent by a previous owner and caused the rear wheels to point at funny angles or something? Tyre age/condition on rear?

https://skoda.7zap.com/en/cz/fabia/fab/2007-453/5/500-500020/#1

Edited by Wino

Well, went to fit the bushes today &............I got the wrong sie. I needed 69mm. Luckily local supplier had them in stock, unfortunately they are the metal Febi uprated ones. SO far I have one half in & a load of 12mm bar & nuts with striped threads...............

On 10/10/2019 at 10:35, RobLarby said:

The 72.5mm bush has been removed by Powerflex and they now only offer 69mm, I assume they are all 69mm and your measurement sounds about right

Did you miss this?

49 minutes ago, Zebedee2001 said:

Well, went to fit the bushes today &............I got the wrong sie. I needed 69mm. Luckily local supplier had them in stock, unfortunately they are the metal Febi uprated ones. SO far I have one half in & a load of 12mm bar & nuts with striped threads...............

It would seem so...

You need a high tensile fine threaded bush tool and lube to get it fitted.

On 09/10/2019 at 21:24, Zebedee2001 said:

Hi,

Wife's 2007 1.4 16V Automatic needs the rear axle bushes replaced. She has lost the rear end of it a few times at relatively low speed. I didn't believe her until the other day when it did it to me. Looked under it & the bushes are falling apart! I tried measuring with a vernier but it's awkward to see. I measured roughly 67mm but can't be sure. I see they come in 69mm & 72.5mm Don't want to get the wrong ones on order & get stuck! Is there a fool proof way of knowing without taking the car apart?

Are bushes gone indeed? I wasn’t able to kill them during 12 years / 274k km on bad Latvian roads (same year Furby as Yours; sold her this year with original rear bushes and passed MOT).

Oversteer, initiated by wrong tyre pressure “front vs rear”, also will make feeling that rear axle tends to “pass” front axle on corners- also on slow speed.

Back it out, clean it up and use lube. For cutting on lathe we used castor oil back in the (school) day for aluminium.

High tensile threaded rod from any good engineering place (on a nearby industrial park). Though stripping 12mm threaded rod <winces>. Reads like it's stuck/binding.

J.