..another Yeti replacement thread - Seat Arona?

Stubod

Hi all, looking to change Yeti sometime soon, I have noted some older threads regarding a possible replacement, just wondering if anybody had considered / is considering the relatively new  Seat Arona as a possible option? (aware no AWD option).

I looked at one at Sinclairs when the Yeti was in for a service and was most unimpressed. Seemed to be very gloomy inside and the finish internally and externally wasn't of Yeti quality.

• Like 2

Hi Graham and ta for the reply.....I agree the Yeti is a tough act to follow. I have also looked at a T-roc and Q2, and neither seem to be of "Yeti quality". Kind of got used to leather seats and all the toys as well! Still may consider a newer 1.2 if I can find a good one. I also fance an auto box as I have been promising myself on e for the last few year and hopefully past 2016 they have sorted all the "DSG" issues?

Looking at what is available on the market generally (not just VAG) I am pleased I bagged one of the last Yetis to be made and put a 5 year warranty on it.  Yeti isn't perfect but it still ticks more boxes for me than any other car.

DSG on my 2017 Yeti is noticeably smoother than on my 2013 Roomster and having enjoyed DSG for five years, I would not want to revert to manual.  By 2016/17 the DSG issues are all but sorted, but there are still occasional reports of a slipping clutch getting fixed under warranty.

• Like 2

I think the Skoda Karoq / SEAT Ateca is the closest alternative to the Yeti.

The Skoda Kamiq (not yet launched) / SEAT Arona are more Fabia / Ibiza sized...

https://www.briskoda.net/forums/forum/390-skoda-kamiq/

Edited by silver1011
  • Like 1

I looked at an Arona but it is way smaller than the Yeti and I wasn't overly impressed with the price of a good spec one, so have ordered a Karoq on a 3 + 36 month PCH deal (Current Yeti is also on a PCH finishing in December). The Karoq SE Technology comes with a lot of kit as standard and drives very well - nice and quiet and smoother over bumps than the Yeti.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, silver1011 said:

I think the Skoda Karoq / SEAT Ateca is the closest alternative to the Yeti.

The Skoda Kamiq (not yet launched) / SEAT Arona are more Fabia / Ibiza sized...

Not really, Aroma, VW T Cross and soon to be released Kamiq are closest in size to Yeti. Karoq and Ateca are both larger.

T Cross has good reviews but a well spec'd one is £25k plus and no leather seats. Interiors are a bit gloomy as well - as are those of Arona and according to the Skoda website so is the new Kamiq!

I'm so glad I bought one of the last Yeti's because I've no idea what I'll replace it with when I come to change. New 2008 or Volvo XC40 (if I can afford it).

• Like 1

Things are a bit tight space wise in an Arona, but if having a 1.0TSI / DSG i would have that in a Arona rather than in a Karoq/Ateca,

not driven a 1.0 TSI Kamiq but have a Scala.  So so, gets you along.

Edited by Roottootemoot
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Expatman said:

Not really, Aroma, VW T Cross and soon to be released Kamiq are closest in size to Yeti. Karoq and Ateca are both larger.

If you went from a Yeti to an Arona / Kamiq you'd instantly see that they're quite a lot smaller, hence the Karoq being a closer alternative.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, silver1011 said:

If you went from a Yeti to an Arona / Kamiq you'd instantly see that they're quite a lot smaller, hence the Karoq being a closer alternative.

Hmmm, reviews of Kamiq stress interior space over competitors so will wait and see in the metal.

• Like 1

From what @dodger21 mentioned earlier ("the Kamiq is 17mm longer than the Yeti same width but not as tall") then you might be right.

I guess a lot of the Yeti's perceived size comes from it's height.

Edited by silver1011
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, silver1011 said:

From what @dodger21 mentioned earlier ("the Kamiq is 17mm longer than the Yeti same width but not as tall") then you might be right.

I guess a lot of the Yeti's perceived size comes from it's height.

Yes, and I am particularly interested in the seat height from the ground. Do you sit as high up as the Yeti or is it more slightly taller hatchback height?

• Like 1

I suspect the latter.

A big part of the Yeti's appeal to me are it's chunky (robust) looks, the huge arch gaps (from the top of the tyre to the wing) being of particular appeal 😂

• Like 2

Hi all, and many thanks for all the input. Karoq looks a bit big for me, (and possibly suits the 1.5 engine better, but not keen on one of those given the recent reliability reports, also higher cost), I will get myself a test drive in an Arona before I do anything else.....

https://www.automobiledimension.com/

useful site for car size comparisons...

Edited by Stubod

I had a Yeti for 2 years, and now have an Arona, so hopefully qualified to answer this.  I had a Yeti 1.2 DSG (110) SE, now got Arona Xcelence Lux 1.0 DSG

The Arona is a smaller car, it is fwd only.  It’s a very good car, but there are niggles (and some evidence of penny pinching).  The Arona is more powerful, better fuel economy, much better infotainment and sound system, and has some equipment not on Yeti like ACC, blind spot monitor, rear view camera etc

But it is lot more basic in back seats no grab handles, no rear interior light, no folding armrest, no cup holders, no varioflex Seats etc

Which is better?

for a family the Yeti, for a couple the Arona 

• Like 3

Hi John, and thanks for the input. There are only the 2 of us, so the above is useful to know. I must admit the Yeti rear seat system is brill, and would take some beating. For big hols we normally just take the seats out! I would like to fit a tow bar to next car, purely for the purpose of using a bike rack.

1 hour ago, SurreyJohn said:

I had a Yeti for 2 years, and now have an Arona, so hopefully qualified to answer this.  I had a Yeti 1.2 DSG (110) SE, now got Arona Xcelence Lux 1.0 DSG

The Arona is a smaller car, it is fwd only.  It’s a very good car, but there are niggles (and some evidence of penny pinching).  The Arona is more powerful, better fuel economy, much better infotainment and sound system, and has some equipment not on Yeti like ACC, blind spot monitor, rear view camera etc

But it is lot more basic in back seats no grab handles, no rear interior light, no folding armrest, no cup holders, no varioflex Seats etc

Which is better?

for a family the Yeti, for a couple the Arona 

Good to hear from someone who has real experience of both cars. What about seat ride height? Do you feel that you sit lower in the Arona, the Yeti is much taller overall but I am interested in seating position rather than overall height.

Incidentally from the few reports on the Kamiq I have read I think it is much plusher inside than the Arona - and according to some reports than the T Cross - soft feel dashboard, door cappings etc. which are hard plastic in the Arona and T Cross. Reviewer was surprised that the VW was finished to a lower quality “feel” standard than the Skoda. Guess we will have to wait until we see a Kamiq to know for sure but I would surely miss the brightness of my current Yeti’s interior with the pale leather seating and light trimming for headlining etc. (SE-L model), I spec’d reversing camera, electric drivers seat but, of course, no blind spot monitor or auto stopping - but I have driven for 55 years without those anyway!!

11 hours ago, Expatman said:

Good to hear from someone who has real experience of both cars. What about seat ride height? Do you feel that you sit lower in the Arona, the Yeti is much taller overall but I am interested in seating position rather than overall height.

Incidentally from the few reports on the Kamiq I have read I think it is much plusher inside than the Arona - and according to some reports than the T Cross - soft feel dashboard, door cappings etc. which are hard plastic in the Arona and T Cross. Reviewer was surprised that the VW was finished to a lower quality “feel” standard than the Skoda. Guess we will have to wait until we see a Kamiq to know for sure but I would surely miss the brightness of my current Yeti’s interior with the pale leather seating and light trimming for headlining etc. (SE-L model), I spec’d reversing camera, electric drivers seat but, of course, no blind spot monitor or auto stopping - but I have driven for 55 years without those anyway!!

The Yeti is taller and has a higher seating position, as Yeti is more SUV than crossover.

both are a bit taller so will see over cars in front, but not tall SUVs like Land Rovers

But shorter people may find they need to step up to sit the seat on Yeti when getting in, so those with dodgy knees and hips may prefer one over the other.

The Arona quality feel varies by spec, only higher spec get leather look dashboard, everything is built to a budget so can always find some cheaper plastics in door trim etc.  One oddity with Arona is lower spec comes with light coloured headlining, but higher spec get dark grey (presumably the Spanish see it as more classy).   The Arona specs are fixed (the only add on is spare wheel, tow bar prep, and on lower spec alarms), effectively just get a choice of 7 levels.  In theory means quick delivery in 2 weeks from stock at port, but often is a factory order taking 3 months.

The T-cross and Kamiq have lots of options, and as was demonstrated in Kamiq section it is possible to add £11k of options, and get a list price over £37k.  It is therefore much easier to get a better spec in the Kamiq than Arona, but it could easily cost you over £30k to do so.  (I paid under £20k for my top spec Arona Xcelence Lux 1.0 DSG which was nearly £4k off list).  The price has since gone up (and front seat heaters and digital dash are now added as standard, but the alcantara dropped to be replaced by unbranded microsuede)

My Yeti was due to go back 14 months ago, and the T-cross and Kamiq were not available then, and we were looking for something bit smaller so Skoda wasn't a choice then.  I am happy with the choice of Arona, yes would have liked leather (instead of alcantara), seat heaters and a heated windscreen, which you can get on a Kamiq.  But would I have been happy to have been asked for nearer £30k (or about 50% more than I paid) to get these, probably not.

• Like 2

At £32k for a fully spec’d Kamiq you could have a Volvo XC40 with petrol engine and automatic transmission and all the nice-to-haves! So I guess I will be keeping my Yeti for some time to come.

• Like 3

I had rather thought much the same.

And I would imagine, although I don't actualy know, that you would get a slightly warm feeling knowing your doing as much as you can to drive a safe car.

Looked and sat in a Arona immediately after looking at a T-Cross ( and a T-Roc) .

Choose the T-Cross seemed to have better visibility, seating felt higher. Arona did not appeal at all  and Seat lack of options would have been a pain.