window "chrome" trim removal

Not only an issue on the Superb.

This affects all Skoda trim, and the trim from many other manufacturers too.

It is mostly caused by cheap acidic chemicals (TFR - Traffic Film Remover, often referred to as truck wash) used by the £6 hand car wash outfits. Use them at your peril.

It is when you look at the state of some of the private hire taxi's around York.

As much as I admire the MkI Citroen Picasso, they are tough cars, and the number of them you still see on the road is a testament to that, they are all mostly looking dog rough now, yet are still pounding the streets of York city centre.

I'm guessing faded chrome trim is the least of these drivers worries!

Image result for citroen picasso taxi" 

On 05/11/2019 at 17:46, lichfielddriver said:

I need to fix it paint it or hide it to pass a council taxi test... 

quick fix, assuming you're where your username suggests?....pop down to Hexis nr Tippers Builders merchants and get some Silver Vinyl, cut into strips and cover up, trim with a sharp blade along the edges but not too near the paint work at a 45deg angle.

dangerous i know but if you get stuck.....PM me

21 minutes ago, olduns said:

quick fix, assuming you're where your username suggests?....pop down to Hexis nr Tippers Builders merchants and get some Silver Vinyl, cut into strips and cover up, trim with a sharp blade along the edges but not too near the paint work at a 45deg angle.

dangerous i know but if you get stuck.....PM me

actually found some chrome wrap sticky stuff that is an almost perfect match £3

but thanks for the "Tip"

On 06/11/2019 at 07:36, superbdreams said:

Unbelievable

At 7 years old they refuse to plate Taxis or Private Hire unless they can pass a council officials "immaculate" examination outside the council office

The funny thing is, after we spent £600 on another vehicle the council official came out to view the 62 plate car, it was parked next to a 66 plate taxi and she said...."which one am i checking"

The fact that there is this option in our regs isnt pointed out in the letter offering to replate till the car is 7 years old, quite a few have gone into big debt to but cars, i anticipate licensing will attempt to close the loophole

just had a quick go at the 'ghetto' fix....too cold for a proper go 😃

my trim isn't quite as bad as some but generally milky all over including the roof rails. bit of Silver vinyl from the cupboard.......

iN5CqXg.jpg

q7OSSkD.jpg

eTSoX4D.jpg

ExB1XOV.jpg

long term i'm erring towards Black for the windows and possibly Silver around the rear/front chrome trims.

I think the Taxi testers might take a dim view of the cosmetic looks of mine though, really need to clean it properly one day  😲

Lgq5L07.jpg

• 3 months later...
On 05/11/2019 at 22:08, silver1011 said:

Tainted chrome trim is a genuine cause to fail a council taxi test!? 😮

This is not chrome trim, it is plastic chrome effect trim so that should be a way out of it, I tried to claim it on my warranty but Skoda came back and said as it was trim and not part of the body it wasn't covered after 1 year, pay over £32K for a car and the trim is not covered !!!!!!

On 08/11/2019 at 15:10, olduns said:

I think the Taxi testers might take a dim view of the cosmetic looks of mine though, really need to clean it properly one day  😲

Lgq5L07.jpg

Judging by the moss growing on the seals I think the condition of the chrome trim is the least of your worries 😂

• 4 years later...