Dipstick levels on mk2 VRS

Hi all, I'm currently running my "low tech" oil consumption test on the vRS. This will be done over 2000 measured miles with regular checks of the dipstick. I'm 1500 miles in so far. It will eventually be topped up in 100ml stages to allow me to calculate the total used.

Dipped it the other day and it's half way down the hatched area when cold.

Question....

Does anyone actually know the total quantity between the top (max) line and the bottom (min) line ?

Thanks to all who have helped and supported me so far on the forum !

You would be better topping the oil up now and not running it low. Cold it should be up at the top of the Cross hatch or just above to have it at the top when at operating temp.   The oil capacity of 3.6 litre or actually 3.9 can be 1.3 to 1.5 litre low when at the bottom orange marker.  That might not even have the low oil level light on.  Not a good idea being 1/4 low in oil when not that much in in the first place.    ? Where was the oil when cold when you started your consumption test and where when at operating temp,? 

Hi Roottootemoot, 

Rightly or wrongly,  I waited til the car was cold and dipped it. Filled it to top hatched line. Checked when hot and it was approx 2-3mm above top hatch.  Wasn't much change over the first 700 miles. Dropped to top hatch at 1000 miles. Now at 1500 miles it's approx 1/2 way up the hatched area.

I'm slightly less concerned about the oil consumption than when we first spoke, but still want to see the test through for a definitive answer. 

I'm being careful and won't let the level drop dangerously low just to see out the 2000 miles.

I'm carrying a 1 litre oil just in case of emergencies.....

Thanks for all your help and advice. 

Further to last..    

I tend to park the car at work in the same spot and allow it to cool right down so all the oil drops back into the sump. Hopefully this keeps the level consistent and accurate.

Hi Roottootemoot, 

Yeah, this was what kicked the whole oil consumption panic off in the first place......I'd done about 2k miles and saw that if used 2/3 of the engine oil.

This was when I first came across the forum and the issues with the CAVE engine.

Admittedly, my car was parked in different places in the work car park do the levels varied depending on the spot I parked. That's why I'm trying to park in the same spot through the testing.

The master plan once the 2k test is done will be to drain oil, refill to exact capacity and repeat 2k test.

Cheers again for taking the time to reply. 

5 minutes ago, Wino said:

It sounds to me like you'll be able to answer your own question about qty versus level on hatched area soon. 

Keep up the good work.

Hi Wino, 

I know it's not "high tech" but it should work.......and all it cost me was the oil and a 35p plastic jug from Asda !!!

Cheaper than an official dealer test.

The reason I asked for the full/empty capacity on dipstick is a mate with a 1.4 Tsi Golf said he thinks it's only 500-600ml.

When you have 4 litres in to start, you can afford to lose the odd 500ml without an engine disaster.....

That's my thinking anyway. Could be proved very wrong.......🙄 

• Like 1

Roottootemoot, 

While I think of it.....a while back you advised me on the correct oil type saying it had to conform to VW 502 standard. I checked the Shell Helix I bought and it does comply.

Thanks for the heads up and advice !

20191101_150000.jpg

20191101_145950.jpg

Hi Oz Fabia,

Thanks for the info. Once I've finished my "test" I will see where the oil level ends up and measure how much I have to top up. With any luck that should also give me an idea of the max/min difference.

Thanks for your reply and help....

20 hours ago, Gerard2071 said:

Roottootemoot, 

While I think of it.....a while back you advised me on the correct oil type saying it had to conform to VW 502 standard. I checked the Shell Helix I bought and it does comply.

Thanks for the heads up and advice !

20191101_150000.jpg

20191101_145950.jpg

Gerard2071 looking at your photos i see your using 5w_40 I was Halfords recently getting oil for my 11 plate fabia vrs the guy recommend mobile 5w_30 excuse the ignorance will it make any difference haven't put it in yet don't know what oil is already in just a top up until a service oil sitting at half way in the hatch when cold

Hi Madvlad65,

Roottootemoot has previously stated to me that the oil needs to conform to VW502 standards. I think I remember he said 5w30 also, but maybe you should check direct with him.

Failing that, I'm sure a Google search will find the correct oil grade, or some suppliers offer suggested oils based on your car details/reg.

I would check the correct grade yourself, although I bought mine following a reg check on Euro Car Parts so ended up 5w40.

Good luck....

53 minutes ago, Gerard2071 said:

Hi Madvlad65,

Roottootemoot has previously stated to me that the oil needs to conform to VW502 standards. I think I remember he said 5w30 also, but maybe you should check direct with him.

Failing that, I'm sure a Google search will find the correct oil grade, or some suppliers offer suggested oils based on your car details/reg.

I would check the correct grade yourself, although I bought mine following a reg check on Euro Car Parts so ended up 5w40.

Good luck....

Thanks for the info will research a bit more