Looking at 1.2 TSI 110 vs 90ps, which one to choose?

I'm looking to "downgrade" from my SEAT Leon Cupra to a more sensible and cheaper to run car.

Currently im looking at the 90ps version of the Fabia because it is way more easy to find and also better priced.

But i read that the consumption on motorways could severly suffer on the 90ps version due to the 5speed gearbox, compared to the 6speed, is this correct?

What kind of mpg are you guys achieving with your 90ps and 110ps cars? Is there really a big diffrence?

I usually do about 15000-20000km per year with my car and i would say that 50-60% is 110-120km/roads.

Would i perhaps be better of with a 1.4 TDI or should a 90ps be fine?

Any advice would be appreciated!

I run a 90PS 5 speed and on a long motorway trip will better 60 MPG or less than 5 Lt/100KM during the summer.

5th gear at 2000 rpm equates to about 55 MPH - 88 KPH with mine.

But the fuel consumption I get is better than I was expecting.

I would have paid extra for the 6 speed gearbox if it was an option.

Thanks AG Falco

18 minutes ago, AGFalco said:

I run a 90PS 5 speed and on a long motorway trip will better 60 MPG or less than 5 Lt/100KM during the summer.

5th gear at 2000 rpm equates to about 55 MPH - 88 KPH with mine.

But the fuel consumption I get is better than I was expecting.

I would have paid extra for the 6 speed gearbox if it was an option.

Thanks AG Falco

Oh wow thats actually even better than what i had expected. What kind of speeds are you doing then?

If i would go for the 1.2 TSI 110ps 6speed i would need to get a SEAT Leon, so it will be a bit bigger and heavier than a Fabia. Also ofc it would be about 2000-2500gbp more expensive.

2 minutes ago, Snowman89 said:

What kind of speeds are you doing then?

At our speed limit for a motorway which is 70 MPH or 110 KPH.

Thanks AG Falco

If you still have any thoughts of sticking with a Leon, why not grab 1.5TSI one?

My wife has a 2015 VW Polo 1.2TSI 110PS 6speed and tends to average 54MPG over a years running with mixed use.

13 hours ago, rum4mo said:

If you still have any thoughts of sticking with a Leon, why not grab 1.5TSI one?

My wife has a 2015 VW Polo 1.2TSI 110PS 6speed and tends to average 54MPG over a years running with mixed use.

The main reason why I'm thinking of getting a 1.2 TSI is cost, running cost and depreciation. 

A 1.2 tsi 90ps Fabia 2017 35.000km would cost me 8.500euro, Leon 1.2 tsi 6speed 110ps 2018 22.000km about 12.000euro, a Leon 1.5 tsi 2019 50000km about 15.000 euro.

Also we have a new taxation system for cars in Sweden. Which would make the Fabia cost about 40euro/year and the 1.5 tsi about 200-300.

I'm also considering a older fabia 2013 with the 1.2 tsi 8v with 45.000km for about 5.000 euro, but it's difficult to decide..

My plan is to also have a fun track car on the side, so this car will just be a cheap car :) 

5 hours ago, Snowman89 said:

I'm also considering a older fabia 2013 with the 1.2 tsi 8v

I think this is the older engine with the cam chain.

Not as well liked it seems as the newer 1.2 TSI 16V with the cam belt.

In the UK petrol is now cheaper than Diesel.

So my choice three years to by petrol over diesel is proving to be good.

Thanks AG Falco

Edited by AGFalco
miss spell can/cam

With three on board my 1.2 90tsi (5 speed manual) estate does about 57 mpg on a long run and more like 52/54 on local roads. 'course the estate is a bit heavier than the plain old hatchback. Interestingly, I have noticed that the  mpg is definitely a tad better in 30 mph zones. I don't do diesels because I do mainly short local journeys and don't want problems with a DPF.

Been getting over 60mpg with the 1L 110 on a run, average speeds 50 / 60mph on motoways. Revs really drop down in 6th, can't remember what it is at 70mph.

50 to 60 mpg on the work runs 9 miles each way, country B roads.

You can treat the 6 speed box as 5 speed which is what i do on the daily roads i use, only one part for about a mile is good for 6th.