‘65 Plate Fabia - Poor Tickover In Winter

GF owns a late 2015 Fabia and when the weather gets cold, on start up the revs are very low. Once running, the tickover doesn’t settle at a constant rpm, but  self revs (if that makes sense) between normal and very low. 

Once the car car warms up, it’s fine.

Skoda have checked the car over and reckon it’s down to supermarket diesel, recommending only filling with premium fuel. This as helped a little, but it still seems a bit sluggish until it gets warmed up.

Has anyone suffered the same and did you get to the bottom of the problem.

TIA.

I did a report to the Mods so that this can be moved for you.

Others with the same car can comment.

More than half the diesels in the UK get Supermarket fuel and a 1.4TDI 3 cylinder VW engine really does not need Shell V-Power Nitro + to run correctly.

OT, 

but has your G/F's car had the Coolant Recall / Service Campaign work carried yet.

Pinned thread at the top of the Mk3 section.

When you talk next with the Dealerships 'Master Tech' have them check. Or ask in writing.

Don't trust the word of Service Desk staff who are unlikely to be buying premium diesel to run their TDI'.

Edited by Roottootemoot

Thanks for that 👍🏻

I’m not sure about the recall, but I’ll pass the information on when she gets home later this week. She’s currently roughing it up your way, at the Gleneagles Hotel 😉

• Like 1

On 16/11/2019 at 19:17, Walterzkoda said:

GF owns a late 2015 Fabia and when the weather gets cold, on start up the revs are very low. Once running, the tickover doesn’t settle at a constant rpm, but  self revs (if that makes sense) between normal and very low. 

Once the car car warms up, it’s fine.

I think you are going to have to be a little more specific on how 'low' the initial idle is and also what range it 'hunts' in. Most diesels are a bit 'lumpy' for a few seconds on cold start on cold days but this should clear in a few seconds.  Maybe you could post a video?

We live in at the top of the pennines at almost 1300ft up so winters can be really cold. TBH I've never had a diesel that has liked really cold starts in winter.

Since her visit to Skoda, she has started using main petrol station fuels, rather than supermarket stuff and to date, the issue hasn’t reoccurred. This winter may just be a better test for her as the temperatures haven’t yet dropped to where they were last year, when the problem first started.

If it starts doing it again I’ll get it on video and post. It was worst on tickover and sounded like the car was being constantly gently revved, but in fact the accelerator wasn’t being touched and the revving effect was coming from the revs dropping well below tickover, close to cutting out even, then returning to normal.

Does she ever give the engine a good work out when the engine oil is hot?

Has she tried some Diesel Injector cleaner followed by a tank of Italian tune up?

Thanks AG Falco 

It is Winter spec Diesel time again in the UK.

There is nothing special in standard diesel 'Shell Fuelsave or ESSO, BP, Jet, Gulf etc over the diesel / derv being delivered to Sainsbury, Asda, Tesco, Mossisons, Cosco

or anyplace else.

If you are paying for Premium Diesel then there will be additives not in the standard diesel.

She often runs the car from Stranraer to Durham to visit me and we often run the car down to London from my place in Durham, so it does get some long distance work outs. 

Not it sure about the injectors, but will check when she gets back from her Gleneagles break.

Morning,

i have a 15 plate, 1.4 TDI 90 bhp. I use Tesco fuel, i have done for the last 200k miles in my Skoda's and never an issue.

This morning i started mine i was getting after couple seconds its was idling at 1035 outside temp was 2.5 degrees.

On my run to the motorway stop a couple of times in traffic before it got up to temp and idle was still at 1035 same outside temp.

After a long run, i checked again at it was still 1035 idle, outside temp was 3.5.

Ive never had mine hunting as your say, i have had the RPM increase without touching anything sat at idle a couple of times, but its not a huge increase say from 950 to 1035. But never hunting around.

Whats the service history like on the car? Has it had the fuel filter/ air filter changed recently or due?

Any reduction in MPG? photo below is what i got, today, so could use to compare (sorry about the dust).

IMG_20191119_093326.jpg

I think it was meant that rather than a long distance workout, when its at a reasonable temperature give it some full throttle up close to the red line somewhere safe... If you haven't before or for a while expect a nice big soot cloud, perfect for giving that tailgater a gift 🤭 Used to do this in all the diesels I've owned, maybe its in my head but seemed to give it a clear out.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Walterzkoda said:

so it does get some long distance work outs. 

As above.

It needs hard work not a long gentle run.

Like full throttle to the red line all the way up a long hill. 😨

Thanks AG Falco

Thanks for all the replies.

She’s heading down to mine at the weekend, so I’ll get a bit more info. I do know it gets serviced regularly at Skoda in Dumfries. Chatting on the phone last night after her long weekend away, where the temperature was down to minus 5 and the car was fine.

Confused Cheese & AG Falco.... I missed that meaning, thanks for clarifying. I usually do the driving, so I’ll give it a good blast at the weekend.

• Like 1

Update - The boss lady’s Fabia has had a good hi-rev blast without any sign of carbon clearing, so I’m guessing it was already clean. Reading back through my earlier posts, I mentioned ‘premium’ fuels, when I should have said ‘non supermarket’. It is running fine atm, so fingers crossed the problem has been eliminated.

She is taking the water pump recall issue up with her local Skoda garage.

Cheers for that.

I actually live south of Durham, 2 minutes from the A689, which was my favourite motor bike road across to Cumbria. I avoid the A69 like the plague and the A66 is usually a few minutes quicker from here, unless the snow gates are closed of course.

Picking my own Skoda up this morning, so her car is going to get used less from now on.