Fabia Mk3 blower resistor replacement

Hi. Can anyone help with a guide to changing the blower resistor for a 2015 Fabia Monte Carlo. I've found guides and videos for mk1&2 but struggling for a mk3. Also is there a link to chan9the Mk3 cabin filter. Many thanks 😀

• 2 weeks later...

The cabin filter was easy. 

The blower resistor needed the glove box off.  The padding off and clip the old resistor out. It was a fiddle to get the new one back in but the fix is just like the mk2. All done 😀

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
6 hours ago, htm139 said:

Hi

How on earth did you get the glovebox out of a Mk 3 Fabia as it is nothing like a Mk2 and moulded into the whole dash.

Hopefully someone will be along that knows, not me, hopefully I won't need to know for a while yet.  When I've opened the glovebox I notice screws so I expect it unscrews but as these things usually go there are usually one or two hidden screws you don't know about and need exposing - I've just put a post about the hidden driver's door lock cylinder.

I'll look out for the answer but I'm sure I'll forget the details.

Good luck.

There should be five or six screws holding in the glove box. Once they're all undone, the box should come out fairly freely. Look along the top and bottom edges just inside the lid and right inside at the bottom of the bottle well. If you think you've got all of them and the box still can't come out, there's still one left.

Hope this helps. Also once you've released the box don't forget to disconnect the light and possibly the airbag switch (although this might not be required).

• Like 1

Hi

They must have altered it from the early mk3's as the bottom glove box before 2014 is part of the dash and is not removable so I have found out. They probably changed the design due to so many heater fan failures and the whole dash had to be removed too replace the fan. which a garage would charge a fortune for. I have the same problem so I'm just going to carefully cut out a hole in the glovebox with my dremmel and change out the fan and use a rubber glass window gasket too refit the cut out, as it really is a long laborious job to remove the dash.

I was about to to add the airbag switch as I looked inside the glovebox today but HeavyMetalRich has already covered it, and I'm sure there's a hidden screw you get at from the side or back (perhaps you take the side panel off?).

As ours is a 2015 I only know that and don't know of earlier or later variations.

Bit annoying that the blower resistor should be so short lived in a Mk3, hopefully ours being later 2015 they might have got a better batch or different make.

Hi

2008-2014 the bottom glove box is a moulded part of the dash on a mk3 fabia . I wish there where screws that could be removed to take the glove box out but there aren't.

• Thanks 1

Mine was a '67 plate 2017 model and the resistor went after approximately two years. I was shocked when it stopped working. The one in our previous Roomster did six or seven years.

1 hour ago, HeavyMetalRich said:

Mine was a '67 plate 2017 model and the resistor went after approximately two years. I was shocked when it stopped working. The one in our previous Roomster did six or seven years.

To me that sounds terrible I'd expect 10, 15, 20+ years.  I know neighbours and others with cars 15+ and 20+ years old without this issue, one's even a German made car.

4 hours ago, nta16 said:

To me that sounds terrible I'd expect 10, 15, 20+ years.  I know neighbours and others with cars 15+ and 20+ years old without this issue, one's even a German made car.

I think the salty air up here helps things like these on their way a lot faster than would normally be the case.

5 hours ago, HeavyMetalRich said:

I think the salty air up here helps things like these on their way a lot faster than would normally be the case.

Yes but none of the other Skodas on here with this problem that I've seen (IIRC) are from such areas.  And in the original post to this thread the car was only 4 years old.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Quite common on all vehicles. 

I have seen it happen on Ford, BMW's (mini) and a fair few mk2 and mk3 Skoda fabias. 

Really simple to change BUT do not go for cheap, I replaced my Fiesta one with a cheap £10 ebay job and it lasted a few months, replaced with Ford OEM part and its been fine ever since. This was back in 2015. I still have the car now. 

The part number for the resistor is - 6Q0 959 263 A

image.png.9d142ee8ff8339056ce3fa01361611e1.png

Below is the workshop manual on how to replace the resistor. It is very simple. 

Firstly remove the glove box

image.png.63b54cfb7e8f9512cfac17c45ae1ba38.pngimage.png.45a179ac803cb311c7c36ff9f26c5e32.png

Then you will be able to locate the resistor within the fan unit. The diagrams are for LHD vehicles but the process is the same on RHD just flipped. 

image.png.973a5aea43fff38aadfb03a6f4a88eb6.png

Edited by JGrindel

18 minutes ago, JGrindel said:

Quite common on all vehicles. 

I have seen it happen on Ford, BMW's (mini) and a fair few mk2 and mk3 Skoda fabias. 

Might be common on those vehicles but not all vehicles, possibly it's the German made vehicles or parts.

Might be that it's our different life experiences, I've had a various makes of cars spanning many decades of manufacture, none German personally, and neighbours and friends with various makes, models and ages of manufactures (a couple of old Mercs too, and some new Mercs and BMWs) and I can't ever remember anyone telling me of the fan switch packing up or not being able to be used on lower settings, whether they've had the cars for only a one or a couple of years or 20+ years (Japanese cars obviously for that age).

3 minutes ago, nta16 said:

Might be common on those vehicles but not all vehicles, possibly it's the German made vehicles or parts.

Might be that it's our different life experiences, I've had a various makes of cars spanning many decades of manufacture, none German personally, and neighbours and friends with various makes, models and ages of manufactures (a couple of old Mercs too, and some new Mercs and BMWs) and I can't ever remember anyone telling me of the fan switch packing up or not being able to be used on lower settings, whether they've had the cars for only a one or a couple of years or 20+ years (Japanese cars obviously for that age).

Unfortunately all your doing here is talking about your experiences rather than trying to actually help the OP. These items are wear items and are cooled passively by the air entering the heater matrix before the air is either cooled by the AC or heated up by the coolant so the cooling is dependant on the ambient temp, they resistors do get VERY HOT and do fail after years of constant use just like any wear items on cars. Unless you are going to actually help the op please refrain from filling up the forum with useless posts that are just creating bloat to a simple question. 

• Like 1

Which OP?  Other than me who are you posting to in this thread?

38 minutes ago, JGrindel said:

Unless you are going to actually help the op please refrain from filling up the forum with useless posts that are just creating bloat to a simple question.

I do try to help with the original question and later questions, I was replying to HeavyMetalRich's post about longevity.

Who are you replying to, read the posts again as what you've put is now bloat that is not what has been asked about, I was, at one time, going to put the same info on how to remove the glovebox.  Normally I'd give you a clue but as you've been so rude as to try to tell me what I can do here, without you owning the site or being a moderator, I'll leave you to flounder, you're a naughty boy.

Edited by nta16

For info the OP hasn't logged in since last May after asking his question 18 months earlier.

Just as a general point though, Briskoda is a place where a community spirit thrives and as such, there can sometimes be off topic posts that just add a touch of character to the answer.

How boring would the world be if all the answers were of a yes - no type?

• Like 3