Which VCDS I need to buy?

T00M

Hi all. I use WIN 10 and I'm looking for vcds, because I want to do codding and adaptations for my 06 Skoda Octavia. Do You have any recomendations which one I need to buy ? Because most of them works just with WIN 7. Thanks. 

8 hours ago, langers2k said:

Any genuine VCDS cable should work on Windows 10.

A brand new HEX-V2 3 VIN is around £225 and used HEX-CAN USB is likely to be more...

What about non genuine ? Do you have any reccomendations ? 

Erm yeah, support rosstech and the work they do by buying a genuine one...

If it's too expensive, a local member will probably do the coding/adaptions for beer tokens or possibly lend you their cable.

Alternatively, OBDeleven or Carista might be suitable for your needs.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, T00M said:

What about non genuine ? Do you have any reccomendations ? 

1) Don't buy a non-genuine one if you think you MIGHT need support from Ross-Tech.

2) Why give money to rip-offs instead of supporting the guys who spend $$$ developing VCDS?

3) Some rip-offs have malware on the CD they are supplied with...

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

From https://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/old-interfaces/huc.php

Compatibility:  

This interface works with all diagnostic-capable VW, Audi, Seat, and Skoda models from 1990 through 2015.
It does NOT fully support the following vehicles:

2016+ Audi Q7 (Rest-of-World) Chassis 4M (2017+ North American Region chassis F7)
2016+ Audi A4 B9 (Rest-of-World) chassis 8W (2017+ North American Region chassis F4).
2017+ models (including all MQB-A0 cars such as the SEAT Ibiza KJ)

ok my car is 4.2015 so it confused me. i buy it for $ 99 software and it should work?
and i didn't see the ross-tech homepage writing that software for $ 99 as much as VIN 
supports and whether it has any restrictions, time or settings

Either a HEX-V2 or HEX CAN-USB *should* be fine for a MY15 car although the HEX-V2 will work better with UDS modules, be quicker and support newer cars.

The $99 charge is to register a used interface to get support from Rosstech. You will still get software updates even if the interface isn't registered to you. If you buy a brand new interface from a proper distributor, there should be no charge to register.

As for the eBay auction, that's a rental rather than a purchase. Assuming it's genuine, you just need to download the software from Rosstech and use it. There shouldn't be anything else to pay.

6 hours ago, Misko1987 said:

That's not a cable to buy - it's a cable to RENT for 10 DAYS only.

Is this any use to anyone?  Only just started looking at VCDS and OBD2 in general, so still not too sure.

But I do know that a markdown from $600 to $77 seems too good to be true.

It wont work on a mk3 Octavia, but says it works on prev versions.

[Link Removed]

Edited by john999boy
Non OEM link removed.

5 minutes ago, HotRod said:

But I do know that a markdown from $600 to $77 seems too good to be true.

That's because IT ISN'T OEM and just a reminder to all members, discussion regarding non OEM hardware/software is against the Forum Rules.

1 hour ago, john999boy said:

That's because IT ISN'T OEM and just a reminder to all members, discussion regarding non OEM hardware/software is against the Forum Rules.

Thanks for the reminder about not discussing Non OEM, but as I said I am new to VCDS and OBD and have no idea what an OEM is or how to recognise one.

Well the link you posted actually said it wasn't by Ross Tech IIRC. :thumbup:

There has been occurrences of people using non OEM cables and bricking their modules so it's really not worth the risk in using one however cheap they look.

• Like 1