Crossclimates On Scout

A few months ago, I fitted a set of Michelin Crossclimates to my campervan and the difference on wet and sloping grass was massive in comparison to the ContiVan Contacts I took off.

I’m so impressed with them that I’m looking to do the same with the Octavia, getting a set of Crossclimate plus’s fitted next week. 

I’ll get the benefit from them all year round, as I’m down some pretty remote, steep and slippery tracks all year round for kayak access and if we do get hit by snow this winter, they’ve got to be a better option than the P7’s on the car at the moment.

I've had them on my Scout for the past two years and overall  I'm pretty pleased with them. They cope well enough in the slippery stuff but obviously not as well as a full winter tyre and I also find it quite easy to spin the wheels if I try to pull away too enthusiastically on any sort of surface, including dry roads.  They seem to be quite hard wearing - I've done over 18,000 miles on them  and there's loads of tread left, even on the front ones.

Cheers StuartB, good to know the longevity is there. I was tempted to go for full winters, but it would mean changing back over in the spring and I still need the extra grip on occasions during the rest of the year. Hopefully this way should cover most of my needs.

I've got them on my front drive Octavia and when the temperature gets low, they are notably better than the Energy Savers I have done 900 miles on since getting the car.  That is even on tarmac (although there is a fair amount of mud & leaves on the lanes currently).

I have used them for the last 2 years on my last car (2wd Kia Niro) and coped last winter with the snow fall (granted in Kent not Scotland). I got about 20000 miles out of the fronts & there was plenty of meat on the rears after 30000 when I got rid of the car.  However the Niro was around 1600 kg with max torque from 0 revs and front drive only so a bit heavier on the tyres than hopefully my 1.0 Octavia will be.

3 hours ago, Roottootemoot said:

@Kental

Was it Michelin Primacy that were on the Niro when you got it?

Kia UK should have been ashamed to import the cars into the UK with those fitted IMO /IME.  

& Michelin ashamed for supplying them to Kia.

Both the Niro (16" wheel) & the Octavia came on Michelin Energy Saver+ tyres as standard.

Niros with 18" wheels came with Michelin Pilot Sport 4 tyres at the time (67 plate) not sure if they still do. Bit extreme for the performance!!!!!

Edited by Kental
  • Like 1

Had the Crossclimates fitted this morning and I’m looking forward to some ‘proper’ conditions to test them.

I’ve just finished work at 9pm and had to scrape the frost from the car, showing +0.5 degrees. Damp country roads coming home felt more sure footed, than the warmer commute home last week on the same roads, on the Pirellis.

I had them fitted to my vrs the other week. Massive improvement in the lower temperatures, not as good as my Goodyear eagle F1 Asymmetric I had in the dry, but better than my rainsports were.  Very nice and quiet too. Pleased with them so far.

They do seem to kick up a lot of spray behind the car though, so I've got a very dirty boot!

I paid £98 fitted / balanced per corner from my local tyre place (225/40/18 92Y) and also got the £50 cashback off Michelin. Not sure if that offer is still running though,

57 minutes ago, Mikebham said:

I had them fitted to my vrs the other week. Massive improvement in the lower temperatures, not as good as my Goodyear eagle F1 Asymmetric I had in the dry, but better than my rainsports were.  Very nice and quiet too. Pleased with them so far.

They do seem to kick up a lot of spray behind the car though, so I've got a very dirty boot!

I paid £98 fitted / balanced per corner from my local tyre place (225/40/18 92Y) and also got the £50 cashback off Michelin. Not sure if that offer is still running though,

That’s an excellent price you got them for. Different size to mine, but not enough to make mine close to £50 a corner dearer.

I'm having Goodyear Vector G2 4season 'Black Friday' specials fitted tomorrow - £231.20 for all four tyres. Costco also had those Cross Climates but they would have cost me whopping £10 a corner extra.  ( £271.30 for 4 x 225/45/17 inc fitting).

Has to be one of the best bargains I've ever found.    

Edited by Guest

I've been looking at the cross climates as well. Very tempted and can get them for around £95 a corner fitted in 225 45 17. I am tempted to increase the size slightly, would i be able to put on 225 50 17 without issue?

I want as much comfort as i can get in the car

33 minutes ago, SkodaKing said:

I've been looking at the cross climates as well. Very tempted and can get them for around £95 a corner fitted in 225 45 17. I am tempted to increase the size slightly, would i be able to put on 225 50 17 without issue?

I want as much comfort as i can get in the car

I have found a better ride with like for like CrossClimates so I guess they have a softer sidewall being a slightly winter biased tyre

1 minute ago, Kental said:

I have found a better ride with like for like CrossClimates so I guess they have a softer sidewall being a slightly winter biased tyre

Are yours extra load? (XL) f1 auto centres are offering me this size - Michelin Cross Climate + 94W XL (All Season) for £100 each

6 minutes ago, SkodaKing said:

Are yours extra load? (XL) f1 auto centres are offering me this size - Michelin Cross Climate + 94W XL (All Season) for £100 each

Mine are 16” V rated 94 XL for your size Kwik Fit are currently £392.20 for 4

• Like 1

OMG - can't comment on Cross Climates ( assume they're similar ) but All Season Vectors G2 have completely transformed the noise level inside the car. Travelled thru to fitting centre this morning with a couple of passengers, rear seat passenger noticed an immediate difference. Just returned 40 miles on motorway - it's the first time ever I've heard the engine and wind noise. The car used to play tunes over the different road surface on the dual carriageway thru town, today just a constant hum.

I'm stunned at just how much difference there is.   

Edited by Guest

Put a pair of CC+ on the front of mine a few weeks ago. Seem quieter and happy so far. Certainly dont seem to be spinning the wheels as often as before at the end of the road - steep hill and often damp.

Paid £91.44 each all in through black circles - 225 45 r17