Another Skoda to the fold, any help on remap?

andy_197

My car is finaly sorted. I now understand all the :D :D :D after re-maps. It was a bit of a nightmare for both myself and Chipped UK but I think it's been worth it, even if the wife doesn't agree :rofl: . Still she's the one who now tries to race Porsches'.

Cheers to everyone for their time and advice. Great bit in the tech guide about cleaning the MAF. My surging seems to have been a combination of a dirty MAF and a split breather pipe to the cam covers or whatever you call them on the Octy.

Andy

LATEST

I've taken the car back to chippedUK where they found that another tuner had switched the ECU to read only mode thus after the re-map the car had dumped the new map. They've sorted this problem and re-loaded the map, car now pulls like a train :) . Slight hesitation somtimes with the power pulsing every second or so when accelerating :confused: , so I'm going to clean the MAF as recomended and hopefully this will clear it.

The guy's at chipped UK have been really helpful to me, the only real headache is that it's a 6 hour round trip each time to get to them.

I'll post how it gets on.

Andy

PART 1

Hi everyone,

1. New to the site but just bought a Octy vRS so thought I'd join.

2. Just had the car rolling road remaped and power on the dyno is up from 179.6bhp to 228.6bhp :). Car feels a tiny bit quicker and more responsive but I expected it to feel like a whole new car with that power increase :mad:. Is it possible these figures are wrong?

The first run was in third gear and the final was fifth as it was trying to leave the dyno? The dyno has taken this into account. Am I just a bit on an insensitive bloke? Just come from bikes so I guess it'll never accelerate like that but......

I've left off the tuners name as I don't want to start rumors about them if it's just me being useless and insensitive.

Anyone know a dyno in Somerset that I could get a run done to check the power.

So there you go and you thought it was just to say hi, for that matter so did I.

Andy

PART 2

Hi again,

Well took the car out and did some roll on tests with a friend. Unfortunately another vRS wasn't available so we compared a Saab 2.0T aero, 210bhp and 1450kg, so very slightly faster that the octy in standard form.

The Saab pulled away slowly in every gear. In conclusion there's no way my car is putting out 232bhp and is likely as not at 180bhp as Skoda intended. Guess by butt was telling the truth.

Oh well, written to the tuner asking for my money back or for them to sort the car.

Is there any way my ecu has just dumped the new map? I'm just wondering if there's another explanation for the lack of performance before I accuse the tuner of telling porkies.

Thanks for all the help and advice.

Andy

In my opinion, 228bhp from just a remap is a little optimistic.

They say its not about the figures but about the way it drives, it seems you're not happy with that part of it so it may be worth speaking to the tuner again.

What were the torque figues like ?

Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply.

Torque is up from 153.8 to 208.1. Both the power and torque curves are hole free and it has cleared up a couple of flat spots that i used to notice when driving. Peak power is now produced lower at 6250rpm down from 6475 and tq at 5575 down from 5925.

Andy

Your torque figures are questionable IMO, the figure is lower than i'd expect and at higher revs. This likely to do with the RR setup as in the there isn't enough load. This would also affect the power figures as they are derived from the torque.

Torque seems a bit low - mine has been remapped twice, the second time after changing the exhaust and downpipe. The figures are as in my sig. I noticed a substantial increase in performance after both remaps. It now has enormous grunt midrange due to the torque. The power comes in at about 1900 rpm and doesn't tail off until over 5500 rpm :)

Boot the beast in 3rd as you pass the NSL signs at the edge of town and very shortly that slight bend has turned into a corner :eek::eek: It's pulling like a locomotive from 30 to 100 in 3rd :D:D:D

Thanks for all your time,

I'm not sure I want to drive for three hours just to get to a dyno again so I think the answer is going to be to line it up with my friends standard vRS and see if it leaves it behind. If so I'll be a happy chap, I'll let you know the answer.

Thanks again

Andy

Anyone know a dyno in Somerset that I could get a run done to check the power.

So there you go and you thought it was just to say hi' date=' for that matter so did I.

Andy[/quote']

TSR in Bridgwater will allow you to get an at the wheels figure for it. Can see the improvement from stock anyway. I assume with 228bhp claimed, it should push 190 at the wheels on TSRs rollers. Very cheap to get a run there. Usually around a tenner. I paid

Hi again,

Well took the car out and did some roll on tests with a friend. Unfortunately another vRS wasn't available so we compared a Saab 2.0T aero, 210bhp and 1450kg, so very slightly faster that the octy in standard form.

The Saab pulled away slowly in every gear. In conclusion there's no way my car is putting out 232bhp and is likely as not at 180bhp as Skoda intended. Guess by butt was telling the truth.

Oh well, written to the tuner asking for my money back or for them to sort the car.

Is there any way my ecu has just dumped the new map? I'm just wondering if there's another explanation for the lack of performance before I accuse the tuner of telling porkies.

Thanks for all the help and advice, guess I'll use one of the tuners recommended by people on here for a remap now.

Andy

Yup, tuner is ChippedUK.

I've got a reply to my e-mail and they say they're happy to re-do the car and they've never heard of anything like this before. I have to say I've got reservations. Anyone had good or bad experiences with them?

Andy

Does the fact I guessed the tuner despite you giving no indication as to who it was give you a clue that their reputation proceeds them?

I have had many an argument on other forums with ChippedUK over their methods and results and a search on the interent will bring up many unhappy customers. If their is any chance you can get a refund I recommend you do.

Just had a really amusing PM on another forum from the man behind the remap. Here it is for your viewing pleasure:

I find it odd how you have reputed my company on other forums when you dont know me or my company.

We have had maybe 3 problems out of 1200 remaps in the last 12 months yet you tell someone to search the net for info on unhappy customers.

Why ?

We have had a couple of issues on this forums with one proven to be a liar and another who was happy in the end.

Then on briskoda you slander us when again the full story wasnt told.

the owner of the car went to another company before coming to us' date=' they removed his ecu and on the med ecu there is a memory pin which was desoldered, this means the work we did lost from memory once the car was switched off.

this wasnt our fault and something we were unaware of at the time.

we are redoing the work together with repairing the ecu completely free of charge,

i hope this satisifes you fully and you dont feel the need to slander us further.[/quote']

Eddy, Why does it amuse you?

Without going too far off topic; firstly he complains at my suggestion that the OP should do a search on the net. If he's only had 3 problems out of 1200 cars what's he got to hide? Surely it's better that the OP does the research himself and makes his own mind up rather than just take my opinion. Secondly if you choose to believe the explanation regarding the ECU loosing the remap that still doesn't explain the dubious RR results in particular regarding the whp figures as commented on by others in this thread.

The most ammusing aspect for me though was that he choose to PM me on a different forum to this one which I don't even use any more and only got it because I still had email notification activated.

My problem is with the underhanded way you have gone about slating me.

As it goes this person came to us but my mistake he went to another local tuner who removed the ecu setting the car to read only by default.

We mapped the car and got decent results and did exactly what we were paid for.

Only when the customer called us did i check if the dme could revert to the stock map which we found was possible so we got him back in and did the work again, first returning it to original state and then mapping it and removing any fault codes.

We didnt charge for any of this extra work.

Now if thats not 100% customer satisfaction i dont know what is.

The customer was happy, the car is now back to percect and another happy chippeduk customer.

I emailed you on the other forum out of manners, i didnt want people to know what an **** you were, it was you who have shown them your nasty side.

Please explain to us the 'decent' results, a loss of 30bhp at the wheels doesn't sound that decent to me.

I haven't done anything underhanded and you will also find I have made no slanderous comments.

Glad to hear that the OP is now happy though, that's the main thing.

Im glad your happy and the car is now perfect.

Its a shame people like eddyh like to stick the boot in but as we have proven, ChippedUK will not let customers down, we are proud of our work and want every customer to be happy with the work we do.