Tyre Reviews Summer vs All season vs Winter

SurreyJohn

Re his comments on 'for your region and an average 7*oC temperature'.

Cars can have no frost on the glass or a need to scrape or de-ice and yet the ground / road can have frozen water on it.

He really needs to comment on the difference between air temperatures and ground / grass temperatures so road temperatures around freezing.

Like maybe today in places in the UK, wet & Air Temp & Ground temp being a few degrees different, no big deal.

But & 4*oC  or below air temp the ground temp might well, be 1,2, 3, 4 or more degrees lower.

Like he experienced early on cornering after coming down the track at the low temp but no ice / black ice.

Mostly cars 'Temperature' indicators are measuring air above the ground temp by maybe 8" to 24", that is not the Air Temp your Weather Forecasters or TV presenters are talking about. 

Some mention 'Grass Frost',  that is more about Ground Temperature,  likely road temps.

eg

Screenshot 2019-12-04 at 13.13.39.png

Edited by Roottootemoot

What was really interesting was the difference in summer tyres between wet and dry braking at different temperatures

Although he agreed the +7°c rule of thumb is good, I think he should have made more of the fact that summer tyres are poorer in wet below 9 or 10°c

As I see it if you live in wetter part of country (generally the West and Atlantic side) then your crossover point is more like 9 or 10°c

If you live in very dry area then not going to notice having summer tyres on at nearer 3 or 4°c 

Where I live the main roads have been damp (because they are salted) for many days this week, and we have been getting field run off that has formed local ice patches on some roads (the run off clearly washes away the salt), so actually winter tyres would have helped

I think the comment about only getting 1 day of snow has caused the message to go wrong, should have been much stronger on that frost forming section, ideally should be slightly re-edited to highlight this.

• Like 3

I was in Cumbria last weekend and temp sensor was showing 4 degrees at one point, no frost, no ice.  Go round the corner, road is completely white and ice by sides of road.  I ran winters & summers on my Old Oct 3 and will look to do so on my current car when I have funds shortly.

5 hours ago, SurreyJohn said:

What was really interesting was the difference in summer tyres between wet and dry braking at different temperatures

Although he agreed the +7°c rule of thumb is good, I think he should have made more of the fact that summer tyres are poorer in wet below 9 or 10°c

As I see it if you live in wetter part of country (generally the West and Atlantic side) then your crossover point is more like 9 or 10°c

If you live in very dry area then not going to notice having summer tyres on at nearer 3 or 4°c 

Where I live the main roads have been damp (because they are salted) for many days this week, and we have been getting field run off that has formed local ice patches on some roads (the run off clearly washes away the salt), so actually winter tyres would have helped

I think the comment about only getting 1 day of snow has caused the message to go wrong, should have been much stronger on that frost forming section, ideally should be slightly re-edited to highlight this.

I found his point in summary quite interesting in that perhaps having a set of Summer tyres and a set of all-season tyres may actually be better suited for the UK.  Interesting video though, thanks for posting 👍

I was at the tyre fitters at 0830 this morning;  PS4's off, Quatrac 5's on.  Snow forecast next week.  

Edited by penguin17

I would think that all seasons would be ideal for most UK drivers. I like the tyre reviews channel but they do seem to concentrate on performance oriented cars. So vrs Vs 1.0tsi.

Plus people with more boggo cars would likely be less inclined to run 2 sets.

6 hours ago, penguin17 said:

I found his point in summary quite interesting in that perhaps having a set of Summer tyres and a set of all-season tyres may actually be better suited for the UK.

Exactly what I have done for the last 10 years down south here.

Vredestein Quatrac 5's here as well, went back on at the beginning of November.

Thanks AG Falco

• Like 1

On 05/12/2019 at 14:53, penguin17 said:

in that perhaps having a set of Summer tyres and a set of all-season tyres may actually be better suited for the UK.

That is exactly what I do on one of mine. (Premium Contact 6 / Vector 4 Seasons G2) works well for what it is used for.

However on the Octy I swear by the TS860, they are more like an all-season tyre than many all-season tyres but fully winter capable. I see a lot of cold wet icy tarmac and the TS860 excels in  those conditions, a hugely capable tyre that I have had cause to push hard more than once in less than ideal conditions

If I saw more snow, I would pick a different tyre, the Hakkapeliitta range are one I would look at for snow.

On 05/12/2019 at 20:47, MarkyG82 said:

So vrs Vs 1.0tsi. Plus people with more boggo cars would likely be less inclined to run 2 sets.

Tyres have moved on greatly in the last 5 years and for many people in the UK an all-season tyre will be all they need, summer-biased for the south and winter biased further up north.

The problem is cars have moved on too, and 'boggo' cars of today can perform like the vrs's of yesterday.

As ever you pick the tyres (the tyre not just the category) for the conditions you see most and the use you give the car as there are lots of flavours of both 'winter' and 'all-season' tyre, more so than in 'summer' tyres. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, flybynite said:

The problem is cars have moved on too, and 'boggo' cars of today can perform like the vrs's of yesterday.

That's a very good point but I don't expect a regular driver with a 1litre to require a high performance tyre that a typical vrs driver would fit. Tyres have also moved on too.

28 minutes ago, MarkyG82 said:

That's a very good point but I don't expect a regular driver with a 1litre to require a high performance tyre that a typical vrs driver would fit. Tyres have also moved on too.

Exactly so, and that's why, when I chose a new set of tyres for my Fabia 1.2 HTP Combi a few weeks ago, I opted for Maxxis AP2 All Seasons.

I think they are an excellent tyre, good value for money, and I believe that they will more than meet my needs considering my car, my style of driving, my annual mileage and my geographical location. So far I've been really impressed and pleased with my choice.