Timing chain replacement

• 2 weeks later...
53 minutes ago, ~AlanVRS~ said:

This TFSI or FSI? My TFSI was £550 fitted from my mates garage, obviously it's a small chain and one tensioner but can be troublesome with the cam bolt snapping so I swerved the DIY! I'm on the Wirral. 

Cheers for the info Alan mine's the tsi engine.

56 minutes ago, Redmanc99 said:

Yeah, I've had a few similar quotes to what you paid, the joys of motoring hey 🙄

Even worse when the cars only worth like 3k (mine that is) I had the belt and pump changed on mine a few months before doing the chain. Didn't even know they had chains until my mate mentioned the noise. Thought it was the HPFP at first but it was my chain running on the slack tensioner 🙄 if you can be bothered with the trip Unit 20 is local to me, there possibly the best Indy VW/Audi garage in the country. Worth a call just for a quote!

Edited by ~AlanVRS~

Yeah. Per @Rjg i'd be surprised if someone will do the work for less than £1k even in the north of the country.  When I did mine at  time of purchase 4 years ago at the Lion garage in Hinckley it was about £700 for the main timing chain, main timing tensioner, guides, rails, seals and a new bottom timing cover. edit: plus a filter and oil change should be used for the procedure.

That was about 4 or 5 hours work and genuine parts about £300.

IMO, if someone is quoting £550 for your wider scope work, they don't know what is involved or the parts outlay!

The lower chain is the oil pump isn't it?  Not usually a problem.

Edit. timing image attached.

Timing.jpg

Edited by TheClient
  • Like 1

yep and the two parts in question are either the tensioner at about £40 or the chain at about £60........ but how many £6000 engines have been turned to mince meat! edit: I,m sure you're aware but according to VAG there is no issue and there is no maintenance schedule.

Edited by TheClient

Well I have mine at around 103.000 miles on clock and never changed the timing chain or something from that assemble. I have that annoying sound at startup (cold) but it's gone in a couple of minutes. 

Should I worry about timing chain replacement now or I can still go on? 

1.6 FSI