1.9 SDI Gearbox Oil Change Help!

Hi All,

I have a 2003 reg Skoda Fabia 1.9 SDI with 160,000 miles on the clock. I've owned the car for roughly 6 years and have never had any issue with gear changes, they have always been butter smooth. This year now that the cold weather has arrived the gearbox is reluctant to change gear. The gearbox feels stiff and notchy\clunky. It's definitely a change to how it usually feels. I'm being very careful not to force the gear changes. It gets better after about 20 minutes of driving.

I am considering changing the gearbox oil (it's original), but need some advice on what oil it takes? I've done quite a bit of reading but can't find a definitive answer on the right specification. I want to make sure that I put the correct oil in as I don't want to make the problem worse! 

Any tips or things to do / avoid would be really helpful!

Thanks!

Max.

43 minutes ago, Mrrnoname said:

Gearbox Code is "GDR"

Then it's one of the boxes covered by item 6 here, an 02T type, capacity 2 litres, with oil being item 6A part number G 060726A2.  RRP is only a touch over £10 a litre inc VAT for genuine, I got some from here last time I needed it, £20 delivered, for 2 litres. https://www.audipartsdirect.co.uk/product/genuine-audi-manual-gearbox-oil-1l-g060726a2-g060726a2

Various bits of advice:

Ensure you can undo the fill plug if/before draining any oil, this is located aft/behind the offside driveshaft, 17mm hex male tool reqd. It shouldn't be massively tight but access is a little awkward.

The drain plug is below the nearside driveshaft, again, 17mm hex.

To drain as much as possible, do it with warm engine/box, front of car jacked up a few inches higher than the back.

To fill, ideally you want the car dead level side to side and front to back, then fill until it just starts to come out of the fill hole. A piece of plastic pipe on the end of a funnel, from above in the engine bay is the way I've done it, anticipate spillage with rags and catch containers. Do it slowly, a little at a time once you're onto the second litre. Don't be surprised if it doesn't take it all.

Edited by Wino
  • Like 1