Admunsun sat nav UK towns and village names missing on screen

Hello,

I recently bought a mk3 octavita and whilst on holiday in Wales I found there were no village names on the satnav eg brecon, abergavenny etc!

Same story across the uk

Interestingly small villages in France appear guillestre, la grave etc

I have tried updating to the latest map ece a1

But no luck, just frustrating 

Thanks 

First thing is to establish whether you have a MIB1 or MIB2 Amundsen - what is the part number suffix on the map SD card is it 5E0 or 5L0?

5E0 would mean MIB1, 5L0 would mean MIB2.

Using windows 10. The France map is great every little corner is labelled. I've tried the smaller ECE1 2020 map now too but still no more detail of the UK. I have the road names just lots of mystery towns and villages.

Perhaps Google maps is too good!

I use Google Maps and Android Auto, unlike the cars sat nav which helpfully (sarcasm) went blank (black screen) in the middle of Hereford and Worcestershire, Google Maps kept going, got me to the nearest M5 junction, from there good old Mk1 brain cells, got me around Cheltenham and back to Swindon and Reading with ease.

• 6 months later...

You don't, it's on your smartphone. Install it, if it's not already there, connect it via a USB cable or Bluetooth. 

Using Android Auto or Apple IoS alternative. 

Edited by TheWanderer

Perhaps someone can move this thread to Infotainment section as it's not specific to Octavia 3 ?

I get what OP is saying but at the end of the day this is a navigation system.  It's been mentioned Abergavenny and Brecon are two examples of missing names on map but they are in database so if you wish to go to Brecon, just input the name when prompted and the Sat Nav will take you there.

Edited by Guest

• 1 month later...

something odd is going on in the background. A few weeks ago noticed the new maps were available on VW site so downloaded (from both VW site and Skoda site) the new maps.  On VW I chose the larger European Countries Bundle 1 (1st one) and it was called:

Discovermedia2_EU_AS_1430_V12 apparently Updated: : 11/7/19 according to the file description?!?!?

A few weeks later it seemed that the Skoda portal had been updated to 2020/2021 maps so I looked at their maps. The latest file on the skoda site was (for the ECEA1 map) was called STD2_1420.........

So a bit behind VW still even though just updated by Skoda and even though the VW site said it was a map from 11/7/19.

Today I checked and the VW one was the same (1430) with the same 11/7/19 date but the Skoda one is now called STD2_1410_EU_A1_202022.zip

So all the maps on Skoda were 1420 and are now 1410 - maybe they rolled back because of an error in the 1420????   Still doesn't explain why the VW maps are 1430 though and allegedly from 2019.

for me..  Its the VW 1430 map I am using (as it was the higher number (1430) and that is one for me without village names. No idea if the 1420 or the 1410 maps are also village-less??  

Go Figure 🙂

Edited by smipx

The update I downloaded from Skoda portal on 9th June was STD2_1310_EU1_201945. No villages. From VW portal on 29th July I got DiscoverMedia2_EU1_1410_V12. This also has no villages. I have now reverted to the map that came with the car in 2017. Also I have learned how to connect my android phone so that I can see the (much better and more up to date) Google maps on the Amundsen screen. 

Here is the final response to my complaint to Skoda UK (no villages named on UK Map update) , quoted verbatim. I received this response this afternoon only in response to an email asking what progress had been made.

"While I understand you are not happy with how the maps are designed I can advise that this is the map designed on all the new updates. This is not just for you and at this present moment of time I can advise that your comments will be passed back as feedback to the design team and to the 3rd party who design the software for the maps however I can not promise that this will change.

I appreciate that this is not the outcome you was hoping for therefore if you wish to escalate anything further I would advise contacting the Motor Ombudsmen.

Thank you for your patience."

The first response was

"In previous week we had a meeting with our map supplier and we are working on solution. Since we are getting so many complaints and our developers do not have that
  much time to fill out the forms to report the bugs, we will be implementing Map Creator to our Updateportal. So whenever there will be a problem with maps, our SKODA customers can go to this Map Creator and create the data that we are missing in the maps.
  We are now discussing on where and how we will display a button on which our customers will click and it will redirect them to the Map Creator.

Once the Map Creator is active, we will let you know.

image.png.d1ea5f0d6e25f617a670a6f2fe50475a.png   SIMPLY DAFT?

Also,  MapCreator is a product of "Here" maps.  If you go over to Here maps at https://mapcreator.here.com/ and look at the maps - voila - the villages are all there.  Assuming it is "Here" they are talking about then its not the maps its the conversion of the maps to the VW format that is the problem.   Probably a blasted entry in an XML file to toggle village names on / off or something as simple and daft as that.   The XML file could be on the SD card we all have or it could be on the application that VAG map folk use to generate teh maps from the master map.

This is the here map of a random place in the UK. notice all the lovely little villages:

image.png.ddbee50fa85c2c0ccdda13fdfb51644f.png

Maybe you could get back to them and explain that they have not properly understood the issue.  From their reply it seems they think you are complaining about a place or road etc. missing from the map.  This is not the case (as we know) but its more a case of the names are just not dispalyed for any village under a certain size at a particular (probably all) zoom levels. They just didn't get that at all.  If you explain that the villages are there in the database (i.e. you can search for a village in the address section) and then also show them an image of the older maps showing the village names and the newer maps not showing the village names at all then they might actually get what the real problem is. 

I have the new maps still installed on my unit so if you want I can pop over an image of a certain area "not showing the village names" and you could then so the same with your older maps showing all the village names.  For comparison you could also send them an image showing all the village names of similarly sized villages in France or somewhere where it is working correctly.  you could also clarify with them that is is in fact "Here" maps they are talking about and show them that the data is on the master map as above.

If you guide them slowly through the actual problem then they will eventually understand it and will then be able to pass on the "actual" problem to the developers.  they will then have a chance (the developers) to address the issue, if not now then at the next map update. I'm sure they will - they just don't yet actually get what the problem is.  The MapCreator program they talk about is for anothr thing entirely.  that is to correct the names of roads or inform the mappers that a road junction is wrong etc.  it is not to get all the smaller places show up on the map.  Wrong tool for the wrong issue.

Cheers,

Paul

• 8 months later...

Traded our 64 Plate Yeti for a 20 plate Karoq because we could not update the map (but had town and village names). Just hope that the next Amundsen update is more useful and does not have the seemingly random info dotted all over the place. What a **** up. Or was it a tantrum over being caught out with the emissions stunt?