Dsg gear shifter

Skodamanontheroof

4 minutes ago, OldBoyScout said:

Counterintuitive maybe, but not a big deal. You don't buy an auto so you can change gears manually. Possible exception would be a sporty driver who wants faster gear changes, but then you would get steering wheel paddles. I prefer to just let the auto do its job, having set the driving mode to give me the style of driving that I require. Normally I keep it in Eco, and put it into Sport temporarily if I want a burst of extra acceleration by pulling back on the DSG lever.

Do you find that eco mode makes much difference over normal? Find it to be petty much pointless on my kodiaq. Normal mode for 90% of the time does what I require with sport the rest. Only use manual for steep down hill descents particularly when towing but very glad I optioned the paddles even if only for the small amount of use they get. 

7 minutes ago, OldBoyScout said:

Counterintuitive maybe, but not a big deal. You don't buy an auto so you can change gears manually. Possible exception would be a sporty driver who wants faster gear changes, but then you would get steering wheel paddles. I prefer to just let the auto do its job, having set the driving mode to give me the style of driving that I require. Normally I keep it in Eco, and put it into Sport temporarily if I want a burst of extra acceleration by pulling back on the DSG lever.

I prefer using manual mode on longer trips, fair point re. the paddles, but that was a little too expensive as an option at the time. One of the best auto-boxes I have driven was a rental Subaru Legacy - that had a CVT with paddles and with software-generated "steps" in the shift pattern. Used it in manual mode all the time. I prefer using the extra engine-braking going into corners. 

5 minutes ago, Gmac983 said:

Do you find that eco mode makes much difference over normal?

Not noticed a big difference in mpg to be honest, but you do get the ability to coast which I think must help a bit. Acceleration is sluggish in eco in my Octy Scout, but when I need a quick burst I pull back on the DSG lever to put it into Sport.

11 minutes ago, OldBoyScout said:

Not noticed a big difference in mpg to be honest, but you do get the ability to coast which I think must help a bit. Acceleration is sluggish in eco in my Octy Scout, but when I need a quick burst I pull back on the DSG lever to put it into Sport.

Coast mode is active in normal mode as well as in eco on mine (all be it a little less proactive in normal mode) so all eco does is blunt the throttle and gearbox response which just results in getting on the throttle more to overcome that and therfore using more fuel or at least the same as you might use in normal mode with its normal responses. Have tried over a couple of tanks of fuel on varying journeys and found no discernable difference so don't bother with eco. If mine didn't coast in normal there would likely be a bit more of difference I guess. 

Edited by Gmac983

9 hours ago, Skodamanontheroof said:

I actually know someone who drove through their garage door.Must admit this was a concern when we decided to go auto

Seems like this is a bigger risk with a manual car as it is possible to start it in gear, unlike the DSG where it will only start in Park with foot on the brake.

Quick poll? 

Who starts their manual car with their foot on the clutch?

I always have done. 

Sorry abit of topic but kind of relevant to the way this thread is heading. 

Edited by Gmac983

1 minute ago, Gmac983 said:

Who starts their manual car with their foot on the clutch. I always have done. 

I always start my old Octavia Mk2 in neutral with foot off the clutch. I think this is according to instruction in user manual.

1 minute ago, Gmac983 said:

Quick poll? 

Who starts their manual car with their foot on the clutch. I always have done. 

My 2009 Passat would turn over unless the clutch was depressed and gave a message on the dash. I think it is to prevent vibration from the dmf during starting. I found it was quieter on our diesel ford as well.

33 minutes ago, OldBoyScout said:

Normally I keep it in Eco, and put it into Sport temporarily if I want a burst of extra acceleration by pulling back on the DSG lever.

Thats a good point, when driving what I consider to be a normal automatic (the DSG to me is a slick manual clutchless sequential gearbox) it never felt wrong to wrench back the lever to drop a gear when the kickdown would not comply.

In the owners manual for the Octavia 3 it states the following:

"The engine will not start if the engine is started without the clutch pedal (vehicles
with a manual gearbox) or brake pedal (vehicles with an automatic gearbox)
being depressed."

Clearly this does not apply to my old Mk2 57 reg car which will start with foot off the clutch.

Edited by OldBoyScout
corrected a mistake

When I had manual cars I always started the engine after depressing the clutch pedal as it saves the starter motor the extra strain of pushing against the idler gear. Maybe I'be just old school.

• Like 2