Squeak/chirp from passenger side front

So i've started to notice a short, sharp squeak occasionally over bumpy roads and the odd speed bump. Its not loud, more like a tiny chirp that I can't hear with the window down but seems to come from the passenger side front to my ear. It's not every lump in the road or every speed bump but seems to be just at the point of impact. Any idea what it might be? To my untrained eye the rubber bushings for the front suspension all look intact, no splits etc. I tried dabbing the accelerator on/off as I know the engine mounts can be a weak point but and my MK1 VRS clunked its head off doing that but its silent. I thought maybe brakes moving but with my foot gently on the pedal or off there is no difference.

One thing I have noticed, its worse when going down steep roads when its bumpy, going up that same bumpy road its not as noticable if at all. It's also less noticable when a second person is in the car 🤔

• Thanks 1

I have the same problem, but some days its there and some days its not. Which is even more strange. I have 10 bumps to get to the main road, what is weird it will do it on the way out, then on returning nothing!

I've had a good look at everything like you cant notice anything out of place, lose or perished. Tracking is fine, no uneven tyre wear, doesn't pull to one side. 

So snap! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm will give this a try, its really hard to pinpoint exactly where its coming from as when there is a passenger in the car its pretty much silent, although I did hear it when turning left over a bumpy road the other day with a passenger. I also heard it knock a few times yesterday too, instantly reminded me of the knocking I got when my arb drop links were shot on my fabia II 🤔 although they knocked constantly.

Guessing for a door latch, silicone spray grease is the safest? Not sure if there is any nylon/plastic bits.

Edited by Confused_Cheese

• 4 weeks later...

So today when filling up the washer bottle I tried pushing on the front passenger side with the bonnet up. Lo and behold there was a single squeek every time 🤔 couldn't tell what was making it though but was definitely passenger side. Only just had the dealer look and they didn't find anything. Any ideas?

1 hour ago, Confused_Cheese said:

single squeek every time

Shock Absorber. 

This might also explain the difference between going down/up hill.

Thanks AG Falco

• Thanks 1

I get a donkey squeak kind of sound from both front sides of mine, both my front shocks are leaking slightly (MOT Advisory), i'm not sure it's the shocks or the ARB bushes.

When it's warmer weather, it doesn't do it.

When it's really cold, it does it quite a lot, might eventually quieten after some time.

When it's cold ish, it'll do it a little until it frees/warms up i guess.

There's a car park near me which has a speed bump at the exit, almost always squeaks quite pronouncedly there.

I'm planning on getting some chassis-stiffening braces, these: 

https://www.hardrace-europe.com/fitments-3/skoda-1/fabia/3rd-2015-present-1.html

Should help stiffen up the chassis better.

I also want to get a bespoke aluminium skid-pan made and fitted. I've lost mine once already due to potholes and crap roads.

I've had my arb's go a few times on previous cars. Normally sounds different to this, more of a graunchy noise both up and down. On cold days on the first 1-2 speed bumps i sometimes hear it on my fabia too, but as its not persisting over all just a couple I put it down to them being a bit cold/damp.

This ones a bit weirder, short sharp squeak, almost metal on metal sounding but could easily be rubber. It happens mostly on bumpy bits of road more than speed bumps... any large gradual speed bump and its normally silent. A shorter, sharper one or those horrible bump in each lane ones and I only hear it on impact rather than as the car travels up and down if that makes sense. But then, sometimes its random. As in the op, its also less frequent when I have passengers and when going up hills 🤷‍♂️ tempted to blast some silicone spray on some rubber bits, see if it goes away.

• 5 weeks later...