Navigation Database Unavailable Message after SatNav upgrade on a Superb

Help / advice needed if possible: I upgraded the database on my Skoda Superb (bought new 2017) to 19/20 i.e the data within HIGH12_P177_EU_201920. The upgrade went (it seemed) ok and ran slowly through to 100% however having got to 100%, it thought for a while and then the screen message displayed "Navigation Database is unavailable". If I start the Superb from cold, the satnav comes on and starts its checking in the usual way and eventually drops out onto the same message.

I have tried it with and without the original Skoda SD card is slot 1 but to no avail.

Can anyone offer any advice? 

A couple ideas:

Hold down the on/off button on the Columbus (?) unit until it reboots and see if that helps things register.

Download the 2020 map update from the Škoda website and see if that works.

Thanks for responding - I will try the hold down button and see if anything happens although I am not hopeful. The update installed was the 2020 map update from the Skoda website so I am not sure doing it again will help. I suspect that something has gotten corrupted and it might have to be a dealer solution but it would be nice to be able to do it myself.

2016. Superb MKIII L&K. I downloaded the Columbus 2020 update from the Skoda website 10 days ago. My vehicle VIN was required for this. There was no problem in uploading it into the SatNav, and it appears fully functional. I had expected to have to use a Skoda download manager for the downloading but could not find it. So the download was through my PC running Windows 10 and Google Chrome, and the zip file extracted using File Explorer. There was no navigation data SD card with the car when bought from new. The 32GB SD card I used was the type specified by Skoda: "A formatted SD CDA memory card for the FAT 32 file system. For a faster data transfer, we recommend using a Class 10 / SDHC card".

IME there are three areas where it could go wrong:

1. The download. Happened to me once - it seemed to have downloaded all 26Gb but when I put the SD card into the car it didn't recognise the update. I downloaded again and all was well. I didn't get the message you have though, it just carried on using the old database.

2. The extraction from zip file. I use 7zip with a Win10 pc. It's never let me down so would be worth using that if you didn't last time. It's a bit more complicated using a Mac so I always use a Windows machine.

3. The SD card. Like you I used an approved card (though 64Gb in my case). But some people have found their car just doesn't like a particular SD card, even if it works perfectly in any other device. I also seem to recall that some had problems with a micro SD in a holder, so I bought a full-size one which is just used for the updates. FAT32 should be fine. With the Columbus you don't get or need a dedicated Skoda SD card.

In terms of time-saving I would first try a different SD card. If that doesn't work, and you still have the unextracted files, try extracting them using 7Zip. If none of that works, try doing the download again. It's probably worth reformatting the SD card just to make sure it's completely clean before you start. Good luck with it.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for your helpful response.

I think I have now got the SatNav to work (not yet driven it out on the road, so hedging my bets). I downloaded the file again, reformatted the SD drive into an MSDOS format (so my Mac said) and somehow got the Columbus to read the file and do an update. I suspect I could not reproduce what I did but it seems to have worked thus saving me the cost of taking it to Skoda for them to sort out.

Again, thanks for helping me solve this problem.

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

I know this an old post, but was wondering if I can get some help regarding the the newer update on the satnav. Mine is a 2016L&K 280 with canton.

I have the 19/20 version loaded in the usual way IE:- down load from web site trans to 32Gb SD card, all OK.

Now when I did the same for the latest version map 20 it will not load onto canton it says it cant see the SD card. I have tried to load again from scratch, all to no avail.  I am using the same Phillips class 10 card that I have used on all previous down loads .

Members please help as I have now run out of expletives.

Kind regards

Mayoboat

I successfully updated the navigation data on the Columbus from ECE19/20 to ECE20/20 on 11/12/19 as I posted previously. I thought that it might possibly be a help for you, to see the contents of the root directory of the SD card that successfully transferred the data.

Capture.JPG.0016a0717fb8b856fb3881760a2c0356.JPG

Hi Roadbot,

Thanks for the info, I do not have the File WMPinfo, I was wondering if, as the car is 4 years old perhaps it will not update.

Or perhaps I have a virus although computer says NO.  (windows 10 64 bit Version 1909) any help most welcome

metainfo2.txtmetainfo2.txt

Kind Regards

Mayoboat

Not sure where we are on this topic now but I have successfully updated the map and got it working again. I suspect that the original download which was loaded by the satnav was corrupted somewhere but I shall never know! It was the forum which suggested downloading and trying again so thank-you forum.

Hi All especially Martin B,

Have now successfully downloaded 2020 Map updates (down loading in SD slot one in glove box)

I think the problem was that the card when reformatted was FAT32 and Not NTFS, so I hope that my help others

Mayoboat