1.2 TSI, DMF or SMF?

So, no problems or anything but just curious if anyone knows if these cars have a single or dual mass flywheel or if there is any way to check which (without removing the gearbox 😝). I've seen a few people mention things but nobody seems sure, or whether different power variants have different flywheels... although that seems unlikely.

From memory, I think that I checked up on this, and VW Group don't fit a DMF to these engines, but I seem to remember reading that the quality of the clutch assembly is second to none in all the wrong ways and if removing the gearbox I'd be looking to fit a more robust quality than Skoda bothered to source and fit.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, rum4mo said:

From memory, I think that I checked up on this, and VW Group don't fit a DMF to these engines, but I seem to remember reading that the quality of the clutch assembly is second to none in all the wrong ways and if removing the gearbox I'd be looking to fit a more robust quality than Skoda bothered to source and fit.

I had a new gearbox and clutch fitted when my previous gearbox's bearings failed. At first the clutch felt amazing, bite point about halfway through the pedal travel range, and a long range of travel from the first bit of bite to the point where it wouldn't slip. but after 10k miles it has deteriorated* quite a lot. Fairly high bite point with only small amount of travel between all-nothing, it doesn't slip at all though.

*Deteriorated in terms of personal feel, the high bite point doesn't give the most confidence in it, but it does allow for faster gear changes on more spritely driving haha

Hopefully by the time it needs replacing though, i'll be doing a gearbox and engine swap/upgrade. Looks like a 2.0 (from a Polo AW) should fit without any serious modification (at least, the two side mounts should match up, idk about the rear dogbone).

As for OP's question, it's an SMF. No dual mass for the 1.2 or the 1.0's.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, FabiaGonzales said:

I had a new gearbox and clutch fitted when my previous gearbox's bearings failed. At first the clutch felt amazing, bite point about halfway through the pedal travel range, and a long range of travel from the first bit of bite to the point where it wouldn't slip. but after 10k miles it has deteriorated* quite a lot. Fairly high bite point with only small amount of travel between all-nothing, it doesn't slip at all though.

Could this be stickiness or lost motion in the hydraulics? I had a clutch slave cylinder replaced on my 1.2 -- it was making a creaking noise and felt lumpy underfoot.