Octavia factory sport suspension

Hi All,

have recently just changed out my Mk3 estate for a nicely spec’d Mk3 hatch auto. The newer car has from the factory 10mm lower suspension, which I’m finding just a little too harsh.

I’m not too clued up on suspension, but would it just be a case of changing the complete set of shock absorbers over or just the springs which would need changing to bring it back in line with the standard ride?

thanks very much

Edited by Northlodge

10 hours ago, Northlodge said:

I’m finding just a little too harsh.

We'd have to know what you mean by that, because the "correct" answer could be to change any one of springs, dampers and tyres, any combination of 2 of the three, or indeed all 3 depending at least in part on the tyre make and size fitted. You're the one who asked a question with a complex answer...

A lot of guys have changed the springs for H&R and eibach. Yes they are lower but gives a better ride. However if you want standard springs I’m sure you could get some Skoda oem, bilstein, Sachs Or Meyle ones from most places. But as above says. You could find changing wheel sizes. Tyres sizes/makes also makes a difference. Ask find out from the dealer what springs are fitted because they may have fitted eibach springs anyway to lower it. 

15 hours ago, Northlodge said:

Hi All,

have recently just changed out my Mk3 estate for a nicely spec’d Mk3 hatch auto. The newer car has from the factory 10mm lower suspension, which I’m finding just a little too harsh.

I’m not too clued up on suspension, but would it just be a case of changing the complete set of shock absorbers over or just the springs which would need changing to bring it back in line with the standard ride?

What size tyres do you have?

What tyre pressures are you using?

What are the recommended tyre pressures for the tyre size that you are using? (tyre pressures are usually marked inside the fuel filler flap) 

What width rims do you have? (6Jx15 means you have 6" wide rims. 6.5Jx16 means you have 6.5" wide rims, etc. Steel rims usually have this information stamped on the front, alloy rims on the back)

Are you on original springs and shock absorbers, or has someone changed them?

What Skoda part numbers are your front and rear springs and front and rear shock absorbers?

Edited by Carlston

First thing I recommend to anyone in this forum complaining of ride quality on a new car is to check the transport blocks on the front suspension were removed by the dealer.

You have to jack up the front sufficient to let the suspension droop which would then expose the brightly coloured plastic blocks if they are there. 

Realitively rare these days but there was a spate a while back.

Edited by Gerrycan
  • Like 1