Driver assist radar damaged - pheasant!

Hi all, on my way to work this morning a dim-bulb  pheasant decided to kamikaze into the front of my car.

The result is the radar bracket has been smashed but fortunately it looks like the radar itself it OK, I'm also glad that the grill around the sensor popped out instead of being smashed also.

Does anyone know, A: where do I get a new bracket and B: is it an utter beatch to fit?

Many thanks as always guys!

Mark

Fit new bracket, should be ok..many have done this & gone for drive with ACC on & the sensor is ok..if it still flashes up lights on dash when you try to use ACC then you need to re-calibrate..

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, jjc said:

Hi,

You wont want to hear this but I think it has to be re-calibrated which is expensive 😞

John

Thanks John,

I've jest watched a couple of videos on Youtube, one with exactly the same scenario as me! He didn't need to re-calibrate and as mine is intact and still plugged in I'm hoping I don't have to face that horror story..

It's just the bracket that's damaged, it looks like there are three metal legs that go into three circular clips - they're completely missing. The triangular bracket behind looks ok too, I wonder if its only the plugs/fixings that need replacing? failing that I eonder if there is a repair kit available.

If you can replace the legs, do it yourself. I did exactly the same after a pheasant hit my grille.  Fit it and place in the position you remember...essentially level. It may work initially and then throw up a Front Assist Not Available message. it took me about 5-6 gradual adjustments to get it working normally. It did not need to be recalibrated. The cost of recalibration at the Skoda dealer after a windscreen replacement in 2016 ( I think) was £125. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, fabdavrav said:

Fit new bracket, should be ok..many have done this & gone for drive with ACC on & the sensor is ok..if it still flashes up lights on dash when you try to use ACC then you need to re-calibrate..

Thanks fabdavrav, fingers crossed🤐

3 minutes ago, Redboy said:

If you can replace the legs, do it yourself. I did exactly the same after a pheasant hit my grille.  Fit it and place in the position you remember...essentially level. It may work initially and then throw up a Front Assist Not Available message. it took me about 5-6 gradual adjustments to get it working normally. It did not need to be recalibrated. The cost of recalibration at the Skoda dealer after a windscreen replacement in 2016 ( I think) was £125. 

Thanks Redboy - its worth a go I'd say😊

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Redboy said:

After a windscreen replacement wouldn't it be the camera / sensor behind the mirror that needed re-calibrating rather than the grill radar?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Kental said:

After a windscreen replacement wouldn't it be the camera / sensor behind the mirror that needed re-calibrating rather than the grill radar?

Er yes, however these posts are specifically about the radar being hit. I altered my radar after it was hit, to stop the error messages and get Front Assist working again. You’re correct (partially), after windscreen replacement theoretically it may need to be recalibrated. After my 1st screen replacement, the systems actually worked ok with no error messages. I only took it for a ‘recal’ because, Autoglass sent me  a reminder after the screen replacement, specifically pointing out that a recal needed to be done.  My insurers probably also received a copy of the notification,  so I only had the recal done to avoid any loophole which my insurers could use IF I was unlucky enough to write the car off or damage it badly. The second replacement included a recal done by Autoglass. 

• Thanks 1

It was Bambi rather than Fog Horn Leg Horn that decided to attack my radar earlier this year - my radar is behind the badge of the front grill. Initailly all seemed well, it wasn't until much later that the Assist warning appeared.

Just reading above posts. It's all well and good simply replacing the bracket or adjusting the bracket, but the problem is the radar beam extends some distance away so even if it's out by a tiny amount, that will be exaggerated at the end of the beam. If it is out by just a fraction, you may find your car emergency braking simply because a car passes on the other side of the road.

Each to their own but if it were me, I'd feel much safer if not having the system fully recalibrated, then at the very least having it checked out by a professional.

18 hours ago, Scot5 said:

It was Bambi rather than Fog Horn Leg Horn that decided to attack my radar earlier this year - my radar is behind the badge of the front grill. Initailly all seemed well, it wasn't until much later that the Assist warning appeared.

Just reading above posts. It's all well and good simply replacing the bracket or adjusting the bracket, but the problem is the radar beam extends some distance away so even if it's out by a tiny amount, that will be exaggerated at the end of the beam. If it is out by just a fraction, you may find your car emergency braking simply because a car passes on the other side of the road.

Each to their own but if it were me, I'd feel much safer if not having the system fully recalibrated, then at the very least having it checked out by a professional.

Bloody "Fog Horn Leg horn" I say, I say! (Loony Toons)

Looking at mine its just the clips that have been busted but the sensor bracket and rear metal triangular bracket are still intact. Looking on fleabay a new bracket is just under £40 - a bit steep for a bit of plastic but I need it.. 😐

18 hours ago, Scot5 said:

That's your choice. I would counter by saying I am used to Front Assust activations and none of them have been more than 50-100 metres away. I can truly say the system 'beat'me once, by that I mean I was surprised by how quickly it recognised the urgency of the situation and probably prevented me braking extremely heavily. It was a dark winter night. It is only an aid to assist you. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, an update to my busted radar mount courtesy of a kamikaze pheasant. I managed to get the bracket and fittings from a guy on ebay for £15.

I didn't need the bracket just the little push in/twist (pig to do) and used the original bracket still fitted to the sensor and fitted it just over a week ago..

Sadly I'm getting the "Front assist not available" message until to today and the error message miraculously disappeared, yay! I don't know why it started working again but I'm so glad it has, my MOT is due in Feb and I don't know if this is a failure.

cheers

Mark 

3 hours ago, StriderDog said:

until to today and the error message miraculously disappeared, yay! I don't know why it started working again but I'm so glad it has, my MOT is due in Feb and I don't know if this is a failure.

cheers

Mark 

easy..it had a long run & self learnt...& reset itself...which means the unit went back on within tolerances...as it compares its angles to the main gyroscope angles from the unit on the tunnel behind the gearshift....I did a thread on Ross-tech about it & loads of research a few years ago when I had problems with mine....I have VCDS so could active a "zero" of learnt values & test the device.....

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, fabdavrav said:

easy..it had a long run & self learnt...& reset itself...which means the unit went back on within tolerances...as it compares its angles to the main gyroscope angles from the unit on the tunnel behind the gearshift....I did a thread on Ross-tech about it & loads of research a few years ago when I had problems with mine....I have VCDS so could active a "zero" of learnt values & test the device.....

I was really hoping it would somehow fix itself but after a week of the error I resigned myself to probably having to shell out for re-calibration.

I was looking into the car menus last week and the status was showing an error too, yesterday the error was gone from the center LCD panel and looking into the vehicle status an hour ago the warning has disappeared too.:emoticon-0157-sun:

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

Regurgitating an old post.  The radar bracket on my MK3 Superb has corroded and needs to be replaced as the radar was moving all over the place.   Struggling to find the right part and was hoping someone could assist.  There is a code on it PA66-GF30 but I can't find one anywhere.  Also looking for notes on how it should be installed.  Any help appreciated!