Flippin' dipped lights! Replacement issues!

I've read a few threads on this forum about replacing the dipped beam lights on a 65 plate Fabia but it's impossible! I have the SEL with the LED daytime lights.

I bought some Osram (road legal) bulbs, but failed at the whole removing the bulb.

• Took it to a local garage. They failed. They wanted to take the bumper off, so I said no thanks.
  • Called Skoda Bath. They said they could do it with the bulbs I bought but couldn't quote me over the phone!! They said they would also need to remove the bumper and it would probably take between 30-60 mins!!
  • Called Skoda Bristol. They said they could do it, but refuse to install the bulbs I bought because they aren't 'original equipment'.

So much for Simply Smart! Any ideas? 

Replacing headlight bulbs by (1) Dismantle the car. ;) is getting far too common IMO.

On my Octy I needed a new fog light bulb, then discovered the bonnet catch wouldn't release. The apprentice at the local garage helped with that, then insisted on changing the bulb for me. I let him, largely because his hands were much smaller than mine!

It's getting ridiculous with cars and having to take bits off for simple jobs these days. I had a similar problem with our old passat, changing the bulbs reguired major surgery so took my chance while dealing with another vag problem of that period (rusty front wings due to soundproofing foam blocks glued to the inner wing). 

FB_IMG_1580296633622.jpg.0c8c954e1d408abc0b5373c1d43911d5.jpg

• Like 1

Hell!! That's crazy!

I love how the manual stipulates that it's possible for Jo Bloggs, and pretty simple. 

I think I might just take it to Bristol and just use the OEM bulb 🙄

1 hour ago, caprixpack said:

But in contrast my focus, the headlights are held in by one screw and 2 clips and the whole headlight unit can be removed in seconds. 

If only!!

7 hours ago, jonboyuk said:

I've read a few threads on this forum about replacing the dipped beam lights on a 65 plate Fabia but it's impossible! I have the SEL with the LED daytime lights.

I bought some Osram (road legal) bulbs, but failed at the whole removing the bulb.

• Took it to a local garage. They failed. They wanted to take the bumper off, so I said no thanks.
  • Called Skoda Bath. They said they could do it with the bulbs I bought but couldn't quote me over the phone!! They said they would also need to remove the bumper and it would probably take between 30-60 mins!!
  • Called Skoda Bristol. They said they could do it, but refuse to install the bulbs I bought because they aren't 'original equipment'.

So much for Simply Smart! Any ideas? 

I have an SEL (15 plate) with LED DRL's and Projector H7 dipped beams.

You get at the headlight via the wheel arch, there's a little panel (right front), or a hole. Turn the steering wheel to gain better access.

You take off the rubber cap.

Twist the connector (like a bayonet-cap light bulb), then the bulb and fitting/connector come out as one.

You must then pull the bulb out of the connector (this is really hard because there's little holes on the connectors of the bulb which the fitting latches onto to stop it just falling out from vibrations, a flat bladed scredriver might help here)

Put a new bulb in (mind that you put it in the correct way round, or the light pattern won't be right).

Put the fitting+bulb back into the housing, making sure again it's in the correct way round (it should only go in one way at this point)

Twist till you feel a "click" and the bulb should now be secure.

I managed this in a car park at night after losing my front left dipped beam, took ~10 minutes, and i hadn't done it before myself.

It's not the best access but it's doable at the very least.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This does not sound right, I thought since 201?, in Europe at least, every mandated light had to be able to be changed at the side of the road using no or minimal tools, by the driver - for the very reason that it is not very practical to expect any driver to whip off a bumper at the side of the road.

Edit:- this posting was being written while the above posting was posted.

Edited by rum4mo
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, FabiaGonzales said:

I have an SEL (15 plate) with LED DRL's and Projector H7 dipped beams.

You get at the headlight via the wheel arch, there's a little panel (right front), or a hole. Turn the steering wheel to gain better access.

You take off the rubber cap.

Twist the connector (like a bayonet-cap light bulb), then the bulb and fitting/connector come out as one.

You must then pull the bulb out of the connector (this is really hard because there's little holes on the connectors of the bulb which the fitting latches onto to stop it just falling out from vibrations, a flat bladed scredriver might help here)

Put a new bulb in (mind that you put it in the correct way round, or the light pattern won't be right).

Put the fitting+bulb back into the housing, making sure again it's in the correct way round (it should only go in one way at this point)

Twist till you feel a "click" and the bulb should now be secure.

I managed this in a car park at night after losing my front left dipped beam, took ~10 minutes, and i hadn't done it before myself.

It's not the best access but it's doable at the very least.

Thanks so much for describing that. When I had a go, I (and the garage I saw this morning) got as far as "Twist the connector (like a bayonet-cap light bulb), then the bulb and fitting/connector come out as one."

I literally can't do it. The garage struggled too, even while *gently* trying to twist with some long nosed pliers. When you say like a bayonet, you mean push the fitting towards the car, while twisting anti-clockwise?

I took a pic of the one that is relatively easy to access...

20200121_172412_LI.thumb.jpg.1ebdb6c20197c2ccdbf457798d91db4a.jpg

So grab either side of the bulb (3) push towards car (1) while twisting in the direction of (2)? 

I did try this, but maybe I've not got the knack...?!

14 minutes ago, rum4mo said:

This does not sound right, I thought since 201?, in Europe at least, every mandated light had to be able to be changed at the side of the road using no or minimal tools, by the driver - for the very reason that it is not very practical to expect any driver to whip off a bumper at the side of the road.

Edit:- this posting was being written while the above posting was posted.

You'd think so wouldn't you? Slightly perturbed by the Bath branch suggesting I'd have to pay them to remove the bumper to access it!

Just now, jonboyuk said:

Thanks so much for describing that. When I had a go, I (and the garage I saw this morning) got as far as "Twist the connector (like a bayonet-cap light bulb), then the bulb and fitting/connector come out as one."

I literally can't do it. The garage struggled too, even while *gently* trying to twist with some long nosed pliers. When you say like a bayonet, you mean push the fitting towards the car, while twisting anti-clockwise?

I took a pic of the one that is relatively easy to access...

20200121_172412_LI.thumb.jpg.1ebdb6c20197c2ccdbf457798d91db4a.jpg

So grab either side of the bulb (3) push towards car (1) while twisting in the direction of (2)? 

I did try this, but maybe I've not got the knack...?!

It does take a bit of force, twisting anti-clockwise to take it out. I didn't have to push it in to remove the bulb+connector.

3 minutes ago, FabiaGonzales said:

It does take a bit of force, twisting anti-clockwise to take it out. I didn't have to push it in to remove the bulb+connector.

I guess I'm just afraid I'll snap it if I apply too much force. So literally, it's just grab and twist. Maybe my hands are too big?

Just now, jonboyuk said:

I guess I'm just afraid I'll snap it if I apply too much force. So literally, it's just grab and twist. Maybe my hands are too big?

I've got long and thin hands. They were quite 'handy' for the task haha ('scuse the pun, couldn't help it!).

I was afraid i would damage it but it was fine.

My dealer has changed bulbs for me before (DM Keith in Hull), though i did already have it in for a service, and bought a couple of other parts from them at the same time. They did it for me free of charge, though also kindly reminding me that they hold no liability if the 3rd party bulbs die at 2am while im going fast (legally) round some windy back-roads.

Though I am getting to be a quite well known customer there now haha, being there about 5 times in 2 weeks having entire new gearboxes and clutches and bearings done kinda has that effect!

30 minutes ago, FabiaGonzales said:

I've got long and thin hands. They were quite 'handy' for the task haha ('scuse the pun, couldn't help it!).

I was afraid i would damage it but it was fine.

I had another jimmy around with that one I photographed and with a bit of a push (which is very hard in a tight space) I managed to release it!!

However - that was the one that wasn't dead 😂 I just wanted to understand the concept before attempting the side where's there's absolutely fudge all space for your hand (the n/s light). How did you manage that one? Did you go up through the arch hole?

I'll try again when it's light!

5 minutes ago, jonboyuk said:

I had another jimmy around with that one I photographed and with a bit of a push (which is very hard in a tight space) I managed to release it!!

However - that was the one that wasn't dead 😂 I just wanted to understand the concept before attempting the side where's there's absolutely fudge all space for your hand (the n/s light). How did you manage that one? Did you go up through the arch hole?

I'll try again when it's light!

Nice!

As for the right hand side i believe it's the same process, except the twisting direction is reversed (so clockwise to release, anti-clockwise to reinstall). You go in via the same hole in the wheel arch, the hole might be covered by a plastic panel (which in the UK should probably be on the left side as that gets far dirtier).

13 minutes ago, AGFalco said:

Plenty of info here:-

Note the tool in the photo above.😏

Thanks AG Falco

I need that tool!!! That might be the answer :) Save me the hassle of faffing around with random garages! Thanks!

1 hour ago, jonboyuk said:

Thanks matey, I'll give it one last go tomorrow before taking it to the Dealer!

2 hours ago, FabiaGonzales said:

As for the right hand side i believe it's the same process, except the twisting direction is reversed (so clockwise to release, anti-clockwise to reinstall).

Same both sides and same as a bayonet cap light bulb in the house.

I put a small amount of grease on the lugs, marked up as number 2 in red above, to help with further bulb changes.

Thanks AG Falco

After all that, I was driving past my Skoda garage in Bristol. I popped in anyway and they ended up changing them for me - free of charge :) Props to them!!