Golf Gtd to Octavia vrs 245

Hi all I currently drive a 2016 golf gtd hatchback however due to another new arrival we now need an estate. originally I looked at a golf R estate however the price and theft stories have put me off so I'm looking at the Octavia vrs 2017 onwards. Has anybody made a similar move who can share their opinion on the switch? Are there any options I should look out for? Any common faults I should be aware of? Obviously the vrs will be quicker but how does the drive compare and the ride? I've heard lots of talk on this forum that the standard seats a rubbish, why is this? Sorry for all the questions but this will be my 1st skoda and hopefully this will be our only car of quite a few years.

Thanks in advance 

Can't comment on the Golf comparison. 

The ride is OK on the non adaptive suspension. I would imagine it is improved significantly with adaptive in comfort mode. 

Road noise is not great on rough surfaces. Softer / quieter tyres helps slightly. 

The alcantara seats make a big difference to the feel and appearance. I think in terms of shape the cloth ones are similar if not the same. You get a greater level of electric adjustment with the alcantara so possibly can achieve a better position. 

My 'original' manual 245 estate is a great car - all the performance I need on the road, 45mpg when I want, massive boot, high spec and tows the caravan with ease. It's that good I'm in the process of buying it as the lease is almost up. 

The vrs seats are some of the best sports seats on the market, dozens of people have commented how good my seats are and there just the standard ones. 

It will be very much like your golf gtd but with a petrol engine. Ride and the way it drives will be very similar 

Perfect thanks for the replies. Reading the threads they seem to be related to the standard vrs with manual seats whereas the 245 gets electric, I'm glad because I really like the look of the standard seats. I just need to play the waiting game now for a blue 245 dsg estate to appear locally, problem is I'm impatient. 

2 hours ago, CodeMonkey23 said:

Perfect thanks for the replies. Reading the threads they seem to be related to the standard vrs with manual seats whereas the 245 gets electric, I'm glad because I really like the look of the standard seats. I just need to play the waiting game now for a blue 245 dsg estate to appear locally, problem is I'm impatient. 

No factory orders anymore.

It’s only the Challenge model now that has the electric seats.IMO the standard seats are good enough,the Challenge ones have more Alcantara and the electric adjustment and memories,but that only matter if you have different size drivers swapping over a lot..

Anyway,all you can do now is trawl round dealers cars to see if there is anything to to suit you in spec and price.

Edited by *JP*

12 hours ago, CodeMonkey23 said:

Shame was interested to know the price. I'll have to keep my eye on autotrader and see what comes up. I did look at the cupra especially the 4drive but I dont like it

The Cupra ST 4 drive,apart from obviously being a bit faster,is set up for a more sporty drive with lower suspension and sharper steering,but costs more like for like,and isn’t as spacious of course.

The so called bucket seats in the Cupra were too hard for us.

My perfect 1 car garage is a RS4/RS6 so the closest realistic car to that was the Golf R estate but even that was too much for my budget set bumpy the wife lol so next logical choice was the cupra 4drive but I didn't like it, I'm not a fan of seats full stop and in reality they're not that much cheaper than the golf. I've always liked the vrs, I wanted 1 before the golf but the misses didn't want an estate at that point I just wish Skoda did the 245 with AWD that would be perfect 

7 hours ago, CodeMonkey23 said:

My perfect 1 car garage is a RS4/RS6 so the closest realistic car to that was the Golf R estate but even that was too much for my budget set bumpy the wife lol so next logical choice was the cupra 4drive but I didn't like it, I'm not a fan of seats full stop and in reality they're not that much cheaper than the golf. I've always liked the vrs, I wanted 1 before the golf but the misses didn't want an estate at that point I just wish Skoda did the 245 with AWD that would be perfect 

Does she mind being called "bumpy the wife"?

On 01/02/2020 at 17:04, CodeMonkey23 said:

The May 2017 onwards (MY18) vRS245 has been called the Launch Edition or Original 245, it has the same equipment as the current Challenge model albeit without keyss & DCC.

This is the model with electric alcantara seats, this model was NOT produced in Blue. The manual adjustment lumber support has very few positions it can be set/stay in only really 2, not a problem if your younger

Good luck with your search