Soon to be new owner

As the title says, within the next couple of months, I'm looking to purchase an Octavia.

I still have a few options on the table (ford focus, astra....maybe) but I'm leaning heavily in the direction of an octavia.

2015-2017 1.2 tsi petrol is what I have my eye on. so, with that being said, do any of you fine folks have advice on what to look out for?

Any problems, faults, niggles, foibles, I should be aware of.

I'm just looking for a reliable car, that's going to last at least the next 8-10 years, without to many problems.

Thanks in advance,

Dave.

I’ve got a 2014 1.4 tsi, (same basic engine as the 1.2) done 65 k miles now. No issues whatsoever for me so far it’s only needed routine servicing. There’s not many 1.2’s around and I think around 2016 it was replaced with the 3 cylinder 1.0 tsi engine.

For what it’s worth I know someone running a 1.0 as a taxi that’s done 120k miles in 2 years with no issues.

Personally I think this tsi range of engines is excellent. Some people on here  have reported turbo actuator faults, and there’s plenty of threads slagging the Octavia suspension/noise/quality off, so have a decent test drive first.

Ive done trips of 2000 miles + across Europe in mine and love it, but maybe I’ve got low standards and don’t expect it to corner like a Porsche 911. 😁.

I would recommened to buy with manual transmission, have heard alot of problems with DSG.
I would change manual transmission oil regularly. There’s no service interval, because ”filled for life”, but i believe that changing manual transmission oil makes it last longer.

Xenon lights are better than halogen.. Well it’s expensive to replace bulbs, but still worth it, i have still original bulbs in MY15 octavia. They look cool and you’ll see better in front of you :D

Electric folding mirrors; i like this feature on my Octavia, it helps if there’s tight parking places so nobody hit mirrors accidentally.

1 hour ago, Superhero572 said:

I would recommened to buy with manual transmission, have heard alot of problems with DSG.
I would change manual transmission oil regularly. There’s no service interval, because ”filled for life”, but i believe that changing manual transmission oil makes it last longer.

Xenon lights are better than halogen.. Well it’s expensive to replace bulbs, but still worth it, i have still original bulbs in MY15 octavia. They look cool and you’ll see better in front of you :D

Electric folding mirrors; i like this feature on my Octavia, it helps if there’s tight parking places so nobody hit mirrors accidentally.

IMO no need to change the manual transmission oil regularly

21 minutes ago, benterrier said:

IMO no need to change the manual transmission oil regularly

I got mine changed at 180.000km and oil looked bad and wasnt as fluid anymore as it should. Gears change now smoother too :) Cost only 100€ more at Skoda service.

It’s not difficult to do myself, so im probably going to change between 60.000km :) 

I’m planning to drive at least 180.000km more with this car, so doing anything to make it last haha :D 

Edited by Superhero572

Would the word regularly be directed at the Haldex  4x4 system. Straight forward manual boxes different thing. I have never changed the oil in a  manual box. Never had to check as long as the box is dry and haven't had any problems.

1 minute ago, benterrier said:

Would the word regularly be directed at the Haldex  4x4 system. Straight forward manual boxes different thing. I have never changed the oil in a  manual box. Never had to check as long as the box is dry and haven't had any problems.

I was thinking the Haldex oil would need changing more often the 180,000 km.  

Just now, Kental said:

I was thinking the Haldex oil would need changing more often the 180,000 km.  

Every 3 year no km limits said dealer for haldex. I need change mine this summer :) 

Well.. 3 years is long time so i would change earlier if a lot of driving/towing etc 🤔

1 minute ago, Superhero572 said:

Every 3 year no km limits said dealer for haldex. I need change mine this summer :) 

Well.. 3 years is long time so i would change earlier if a lot of driving/towing etc 🤔

Wow you do a lot of miles.  So you have changed the manual gearbox oil earlier than the Haldex oil, I would have thought the other way round.

14 minutes ago, Kental said:

Wow you do a lot of miles.  So you have changed the manual gearbox oil earlier than the Haldex oil, I would have thought the other way round.

Well, thats kinda true.

Haldex oil were changed last time 2017, with 87.000km. It wont take many months for next service so i decided to do it then.

So i have driven around 100.000km with haldex oil.

I drove 180.000km before first gearbox oil change :D 

Maybe i need to change them myself earlier if i find freetime :D 

Edited by Superhero572

Well, thats kinda true.

Haldex oil were changed last time 2017, with 87.000km. It wont take many months for next service so i decided to do it then.

So i have driven around 100.000km with haldex oil.

I drove 180.000km before first gearbox oil change :D 

Sorry I thought your car was 3 years old in the summer & you were still on the original Haldex oil & you had done over 180,000 km in 2.5 years.

Just now, Kental said:

Sorry I thought your car was 3 years old in the summer & you were still on the original Haldex oil & you had done over 180,000 km in 2.5 years.

It’s MY15, registered late 2014 ✌️
I have only driven 80.000km myself since i bought it 1,5 year ago :D 

It’s MY15, registered late 2014 ✌️
I have only driven 80.000km myself since i bought it 1,5 year ago :D 

Only!!!!  That's still 53,000 km per year

7 hours ago, Dave-H said:

2015-2017 1.2 tsi petrol is what I have my eye on. so, with that being said, do any of you fine folks have advice on what to look out for?

Any problems, faults, niggles, foibles, I should be aware of.

Just been through a similar car search to help my son find a small engined Octavia (he's 6ft 5" and finds the Octavia comfortable). I know the later EA211 engine is the one to go for and we wanted the 1.2tsi 4cylinder version (just before the 1.0 3cylinder version was introduced). At 2015 it should be the EA211 cam belt engine (oil filter down near the sump) but it's worth making sure it's not the earlier EA111 cam chain 8v engine (oil filter top left above alternator)  as this was in the Octavia until about 2015 -The earlier EA111 engine had cam chain & turbo actuator issues and was prone to ignition lead problems .

The EA211 is a great engine with reasonable power considering the 1.2 size and has proven very reliable especially mated to the 6 speed manual box.

Things to note:-

• No Dual Mass Flywheel
  • Reliable external clutch slave cylinder
  • Engine has a cam belt - although main mechanical water pump is not driven by it
  • Probably will be fitted with stop/start - check the battery as they seem to suffer when stored for a while in the dealer network and make sure it's a AGM or EFB battery

My son now has one - It's a great cruiser doing only about 2000rpm at 60mph. Economy is pretty good considering it's a petrol - my son seems to be getting around 50mpg on a run - we found a low mileage 2016 1.2tsi S model. Considering it's the poverty spec it integrates well with his technology!

Only fault thus far (touch wood) has been blocked rear washer jets - cleared with a pin. Brown rusty sludge came out to start with so clearly there is something in there that can rust so possibly a design fault!!

MPG and fuel level after a 182 mile drive:-

received_178534116886945.jpeg

received_1013138365725430.jpeg

Edited by bigjohn

6 hours ago, Dave-H said:

I would suggest looking for cars built after May 2015, which is when the 2016 model year started. The 1.2 TSI engine was upgraded from 105 to 110 PS and (I think) from Euro 5 to Euro 6 emissions.  Also the infotainment system was upgraded from MIB1 to MIB2 with a bigger screen and optional SmartLink/Android Auto/Apple Carplay support. If the car doesn't have SmartLink as standard it can be enabled by a dealer for about £140. In spring and summer 2015 there was an offer which added cruise control, and auto wipers and headlights to SE models.

1 hour ago, bigjohn said:

I know the later EA211 engine is the one to go for and we wanted the 1.2tsi 4cylinder version (just before the 1.0 3cylinder version was introduced). At 2015 it should be the EA211 cam belt engine (oil filter down near the sump) but it's worth making sure it's not the earlier EA111 cam chain 8v engine (oil filter top left above alternator)  as this was in the Octavia until about 2015 -The earlier EA111 engine had cam chain & turbo actuator issues and was prone to ignition lead problems .

I don't believe that engine has ever been used in the Mk III Octavia in the UK. And the 1.0 engine that came later has been described very favourably by owners on Briskoda.

21 minutes ago, Rodge said:

I don't believe that engine has ever been used in the Mk III Octavia in the UK. And the 1.0 engine that came later has been described very favourably by owners on Briskoda.

I agree the 1.4 has always been the EA211 on the mkIII Octavia but I thought the early 1.2's until July 2015 were the EA111 (105ps) and the later one until May 2016 was the EA211 (110ps). I stand to be corrected though.

Easy to identify - if when you lift the bonnet you see an oil filter on the front left up top just above the alternator then it's the old EA111

[EDIT] I think you are correct re EA211 always being fitted to the mkIII - it's 105ps that threw me - The EA111 1.2 was fitted to other Skodas until mid 2015 (Yeti and Rapid) and also had 104/5ps - after this when fitted with the EA211 power went up to 110ps

Edited by bigjohn
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, bigjohn said:

• No Dual Mass Flywheel

This right here. Definitely some I don't need in my life. I'm assuming 1.2/1.4 petrol doesn't have them.

Also, no DPF either.

15 hours ago, bigjohn said:

Re DPF - don't forget that the later MY19 (Sept 18?) direct injection Skoda cars now have an OPF (petrol particulate filter)

Clearly this doesn't affect any 1.2tsi!

Edited by bigjohn

11 hours ago, bigjohn said:

Re DPF - don't forget that the later MY19 (Sept 18?) direct injection Skoda cars now have an OPF (petrol particulate filter)

Clearly this doesn't affect any 1.2tsi!

I think Peugeot are introducing a PPF too. Hopefully it won't be as problematic as their DPF.

So chaps, and ladies too. 

I have two octavias in mind.

both 2015.

A 1.4 with nearly 48000 miles on the clock and full service history, 

and a 1.2 with 17000 miles and a full dealership history.

£200 difference between the two.

The 1.2 looks better on paper, but 1.4 caught my eye for the bit of extra oomph......just the milage is putting me off slightly.

Anyone have any opinions?

Probably going to look at both next weekend.