Possible faulty battery

RichardPB

Hi, Every morning when I start my car, I see a warning message saying 'Manoeuvre Braking currently unavailable'. This stays on for a couple of seconds and then goes off. It doesn't reappear for the rest of the day.

Some mornings I have also noticed that when starting, the engine is slow to turn over.

I therefore suspect that I have a faulty battery which is losing charge overnight. I understand that for Manoeuvre Braking to work it needs over a certain voltage from the battery.

The battery on my car is a Moll which I know have been problematic.

Has anyone else had similar issues which has resulted in their battery being replaced?

Thanks.

My Karoq also comes up with the same message occasionally. I had my MOLL battery changed under warranty last month, but as I say, I still get the Manoeuvre Braking message so I’m not sure it’s connected.

Popped into local dealer on the way home to ask about the two issues I was having. As soon as I mentioned the Manoeuvre Braking message, he said that it was likely to be a problem with the battery.

He asked me what battery was in it, and I said MOLL. He knew straight away it was going to be the battery.

It's booked in next week and he said that they will likely change it for a Varta one.

• Like 1

For those that aren't aware, it is worth popping your bonnet now to see if you have a MOLL battery, they are all being replaced under warranty.

Better to do it now than to leave it too late, or to wait for it to leave you stranded.

• Thanks 1

That is a pity, Moll used to be a good battery brand, well the Moll in my 2000 VW Passat 4Motion lasted about 10 years, which seem good to me after years of having a VX Cav GSI 4X4 with AC Delco batteries that "upset" the factory alarm system after 4 years and same again with the next one! Similar experience with Fords though their Motorcraft batteries tended to go open circuit while being charged by the car after a few years and out of the blue - a bit annoying, a bit annoying for my wife as that meant a jump start by AA twice round about the same age of battery each time, and after starting easily and driving 10 miles then stopping to shop after returning from work!

30 minutes ago, silver1011 said:

...it is worth popping your bonnet now to see if you have a MOLL battery, they are all being replaced under warranty.

Thanks for the heads-up.  I read on here of a TPI on a single batch of faulty Moll batteries, but I hadn't realised they were all being replaced under warranty.  Would you happen to have a link to this information please, that I could present to my dealer?  The Moll battery on my 2017 Yeti showed borderline standing voltage during the 2019 annual service, but my dealer declared it functional.  However, the standing voltage has since reduced to the point where stop/start no longer functions and I want to give my dealer no "get-out" of replacing the battery during the 2020 annual service.  Cheers :thumbup:

Unfortunately the information is limited. You're right though, the issue was related to certain batches of bad MOLL batteries, but there are now an increasing number of posts, including this one where Skoda dealers are replacing batteries anyway.

Another option is to ring Skoda Assist and tell them your vehicle has failed to start (even if it hasn't), they'll pop out and if they see a MOLL battery, and believe you're having issues they'll replace it with one from off their van stock.

If it helps the TPI is as follows, it doesn't mention certain batch numbers, simply that it is tested...

TPI 2053989/3 for MOLL batteries fitted to vehicles, Checked manufacture of battery fitted to vehicle found MOLL fitted. Test battery using VAS6161 confirmed battery defective. Replaced  battery as per TPI.

Edited by silver1011
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Took my car in to have the battery tested last week. Battery test showed the battery as defective after first test. Battery replaced with a new Varta one.

Regarding the 'Manoeuvre Braking currently unavailable' warning, the technician said that the warning was appearing because of a combination of Low battery voltage and environment conditions.

Not certain what environment conditions but my car starts much better in the mornings and I haven't had the warning message since.

While I was at the garage, my car has been flagged for a recall to have the Oxygen Sensor software re-calibrated. Has anyone else had this?