Octavia VRS Mk II Facelift Steering wheel controls?

Hi,

We are looking to buy a MkII (2009-2012) petrol VRS. I had thought that one of the upgrades from the earlier to later facelifted MkII's was that you got steering wheel controls for radio and display, however, looking at a recent 2010 VRS the steering wheel doesn't have any, even tho the seller says it has Bluetooth connectivity. Could someone shed some light on this for me? 

I don't know if there are any "rules" ie if it was built after xyz then it will always have 123.

I do know that there is more than one type of screen in the dashboard. The one you want is often referred to as "maxidot" the easiest way to see if it has this or the simpler system is the door open warning. Maxidot will show you a top view with the door open, the other just a red symbol on the dash.

The maxidot system also allows you to change settings in the car that would otherwise need the vag specific software and cabling such as door lock behaviour, anti-hijack locks, timing of the walk-you-home lights etc.

As far as Bluetooth, I recently bought a 2010 with a snazzy big screen radio, advertised as having Bluetooth. Though Bluetooth is mentioned in some of the menus, but it has no Bluetooth connectivity! So I'd advise you to actually see if it works like you want to when looking at a potential.

My 2010 example doesn't have the maxidot, no steering wheel controls, and no Bluetooth.

3 minutes ago, Daniel_Bos said:

I don't know if there are any "rules" ie if it was built after xyz then it will always have 123.

I do know that there is more than one type of screen in the dashboard. The one you want is often referred to as "maxidot" the easiest way to see if it has this or the simpler system is the door open warning. Maxidot will show you a top view with the door open, the other just a red symbol on the dash.

The maxidot system also allows you to change settings in the car that would otherwise need the vag specific software and cabling such as door lock behaviour, anti-hijack locks, timing of the walk-you-home lights etc.

As far as Bluetooth, I recently bought a 2010 with a snazzy big screen radio, advertised as having Bluetooth. Though Bluetooth is mentioned in some of the menus, but it has no Bluetooth connectivity! So I'd advise you to actually see if it works like you want to when looking at a potential.

My 2010 example doesn't have the maxidot, no steering wheel controls, and no Bluetooth.

Thanks Daniel

Some useful info regarding Maxidot, but with regard to Bluetooth, who knows!  I guess I'll have to consider making the 80 mile round trip to go and have a look, it's not a deal breaker, although it would be nice to have Bluetooth built in 😉

Back to the original question...

Only the VRS with DSG gearbox got a multi function steering wheel however it is an easy retro fit to a non DSG car, you just have to remove the DSG paddles and blank them off or live with them. I have done it on my 2010 VRS to go along with the retro fitted maxidot display and bluetooth.

• Like 1

There are 2 maxidots. My pfl has a white maxidot but does not support the steering wheel controls on the screen for radio station/telephone etc, nor changing lots of options as mentioned above. In essence it has a 3 part screen - a small part at the top with a line below, the main part with a line below and then a small part at the bottom that shows mileage.

The other version (more modern) has a 4 part screen - with 2 small parts at the bottom instead of one. This is the one that support the MFSW allowing the radio and telephone stuff to be displayed on the main part of the screen.

It will make sense if you see them side by side.

Older one;

http://mr-fix.info/skoda-octavia-ii-reset-service-reminder-indicator/

Newer one;

https://www.google.com/search?q=skoda+octavia+vrs+binnacle&client=firefox-b-d&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwj7uJGWhdTnAhUzpHEKHc_yD5IQ_AUoAXoECAwQAw&biw=1366&bih=654#imgrc=Iaqpc2Vp610H7M

• Like 1

2 hours ago, munster said:

There are 2 maxidots. My pfl has a white maxidot but does not support the steering wheel controls on the screen for radio station/telephone etc, nor changing lots of options as mentioned above. In essence it has a 3 part screen - a small part at the top with a line below, the main part with a line below and then a small part at the bottom that shows mileage.

The other version (more modern) has a 4 part screen - with 2 small parts at the bottom instead of one. This is the one that support the MFSW allowing the radio and telephone stuff to be displayed on the main part of the screen.

It will make sense if you see them side by side.

Older one;

http://mr-fix.info/skoda-octavia-ii-reset-service-reminder-indicator/

Newer one;

https://www.google.com/search?q=skoda+octavia+vrs+binnacle&client=firefox-b-d&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwj7uJGWhdTnAhUzpHEKHc_yD5IQ_AUoAXoECAwQAw&biw=1366&bih=654#imgrc=Iaqpc2Vp610H7M

Hmmm.

Isn't that just the difference between the "multifunction display" and the maxidot? Rather than two maxidot versions?

• Like 1

On 15/02/2020 at 20:05, Daniel_Bos said:

Hmmm.

Isn't that just the difference between the "multifunction display" and the maxidot? Rather than two maxidot versions?

Not quite sure what you mean mate TBH. That was how it was explained to me when I did the retrofit. My maxidot doesn't support the phone function buttons on the steering wheel and doesn't show that information on the maxidot screen.

The newer maxidot does allow the phone info to be shown and the buttons to scroll through through it, it also allows you to go into settings and change way more than my maxidot.

Don't know if that helps or hinders you mate.

Just trying to help thats all.

On ‎15‎/‎02‎/‎2020 at 20:05, Daniel_Bos said:

Hmmm.

you're correct - you either have maxi dot or you don't - there aren't 2 versions of maxidot  -to be able to see you nav arrows, phone details etc. will need coding through VCDS.

to answer OP's original question no, not all FL mk2's automatically have a MFSW - specific models and even then I believe it was an additional option. same for Bluetooth this had to be a spec'd option and just because they say phone on the main unit doesn't mean it has Bluetooth  best way to check is look under the drivers seat for a box - if it's there is has it, obviously you can also try connecting your phone.

don't believe what is written in adverts - especially from dealers, always check for yourself.

15 hours ago, munster said:

Not quite sure what you mean mate TBH. That was how it was explained to me when I did the retrofit. My maxidot doesn't support the phone function buttons on the steering wheel and doesn't show that information on the maxidot screen.

The newer maxidot does allow the phone info to be shown and the buttons to scroll through through it, it also allows you to go into settings and change way more than my maxidot.

Don't know if that helps or hinders you mate.

Just trying to help thats all.

Is it possible your maxidot doesn't show the phone controls etc because you don't have all the phone control hardware fitted?

No mate I spoke to one of the chaps on here and in order to do that I would need to change my binnicle for the FL one which would also mean a different connector cable and the whole thing coded. He is in Norfolk though so it is a no go for me.

Phone can be controlled from the Bolero screen so no great biggie.