Bye Bye Yeti, Hello Niro

Llanigraham

1 hour ago, eribaMotters said:

Are you planning on to continue to tow the caravan. I'd guess with your Bailey you are close to the limit of what you could tow.

Colin

Keeping the 'van which is why we had to buy a new Niro, as the previous one wasn't Type Approved to tow. 
Our 'van only weighs 1075kg max, so it is well inside the towing limit of 1400kg and within the guidelines, plus it has a better nose weight of 100kg, compared to the Yeti.

Edited by Llanigraham
  • Like 1

Sounds promising. I did not realise your van weighed so little.  I will be interested to see how you get on.

The petrol side of towing has come as a revelation to me with the VAG 1.5 engine. I'm finding it far more flexible than the diesel and still getting a true 32 to 37mpg with 1200kg on the back, although it is a low profile van. 

Colin

Ken Fowler, we couldn't have Graham's Yeti experience leaving Briskoda, could we? 

I really want a plug-in hybrid with a raised driving position so am interested to hear Graham's Niro experience.  Don't go - let us know! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, awfabia said:

I really want a plug-in hybrid with a raised driving position so am interested to hear Graham's Niro experience.  Don't go - let us know! 

So do I, and really look forward to hearing Graham’s Niro review.

• Like 3

I've only driven their demo model and whilst it is higher than a normal car I don't think it is quite as high as the Yeti. It is certainly easy to get in and out. 
Rear passenger space seems bigger, but you can't take the seats out, since the battery pack is underneath them.
Boot seemed to be bigger, but then that isn't a big concern of ours.
Lots of toys, even on the "basic" 2 model. I suspect they will take a bit of getting used to, but I do like the rear camera. 
And people moan about the Handbook for the Yeti, well the Niro one is over 300 pages long! I've downloaded a copy just to see what I'm getting and it is just as confusing as ours.

Have to say that the dealer we are buying from has been excellent, even though they are part of a chain here in South Wales. The first one we nearly bought he didn't realise wasn't Type Approved for towing and was quite embarassed when I had to tell him after I had found that out. He tried to get us 2 suitable ex-demo models but they had already gone. I then spoke with the company that are now suppliers to the CSMA (Griffin Military & Diplomatic) and although they don't list Kia they would have been able to get me one at 18% discount. I went back to the dealer with that figure and they couldn't quite meet it BUT they are including fitting a tow bar and electrics so there isn't much in it and I am willing to spend a little bit just for the goodwill from the dealer. And they are less distance away than Sinclair Skoda so another (small) saving once a year!

Edited by Llanigraham
  • Like 1

Where I work has 4 Nero ( unfortunately Plug in Hybrids) work cars, and have had a few drives, was quite impressed with it.

Solid build quality, slightly soft of firm ride, coped will with potholes, LOTS of toys perhaps too many that will be used all the time ( that explains the HUGE  manual).  They were Auto's and liked the handbrake being a foot pedal, you could actually feel when it was being applied and released.

Would I personally have one, Yes if they weren't Hybrid.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Roottootemblowinootsoot said:

Driving the self chargeing Niro is no different from driving a petrol 1.6 automatic.               

Other than good power without high fuel consumption.

(No plugging in unless you get a Niro PHEV or a e-Niro.)

The attraction of the Niro PHEV is that it is plug in so as my average daily mileage is less than 30 miles it should just run on the battery and I can charge it each night - off road parking next to garage (full!!) with power - installing a fast charger. However, I really like the Volvo XC40 T3 Auto which would undoubtedly use more fuel but the height etc. might suit me better and I much prefer the lighter interior rather than the black of the Niro. In Ireland they get the choice of a light grey interior but “it is not available in the UK” according to Kia (UK). 

Anyway I have some time to decide so will keep checking reviews and listen to owners reports.

• Like 1

That is very much the advantage if the cost of the car and the way you use it works out to suit.

For those using for Business it is going to be the tax advantage from April regardless of them plugging in or not.

As to Fast Chargers rather than just 3 pin plugs you need to see just how fast a Home Charge point actually is.

In Scotland the Charging Points are installed free and around the UK there are Tariffs for Electric cars & Homes & offpeak with the likes of SSE.

Edited by Roottootemblowinootsoot