Is it me or the car

5 hours ago, Leeroy1986 said:

Did you put the cross climates on at your own accord or did you request the lease company to do it for you. Yeah mine is speed dependent too if I go down motorway at 70 mph at 2300 rpm I feel a slight vibration but I think its from the surface because if I hit a really smooth piece of road its calms down but slightly there whether it's a rough point on the engine as it's a 3 cylinder as well I'm not sure, maybe I'm expecting mercedes Benz quality from a budget vehicle. 🤔

My own accord.  I have All Season Tyres on all 3 of our cars.  On many cars I find the vibration amplifies or diminished by surfaces. 

5 hours ago, Roottootemblowinootsoot said:

@Kental

?

Are you saying that for 2 weeks you could have been driving with the tyres at 50psi if they were not re-set at the PDI, or at just whatever the tech or fitter set the tyres at before handover?

The car wasn't bouncing along so I am pretty sure it wasn't that high.  If it had wondered, bounced or floated I would have checked pressures.

@themanwithnoaim Only the incompetent get caught out having not checked tyre pressures before hand overs.

I get goodwill. But then i get Manufactures warranty claims or extended warranty claims honoured if valid.

Lets hope they ignore your cars non factory approved engine management when it comes to a warranty claim.

Maybe you will get a deaf, blind and stupid master tech.

With tyre pressures If they can not get the most basic service item right you do not trust the rest of their work.

Edited by Roottootemblowinootsoot

I don't use dealership's other than to buy/rent new cars (& then ONLY through carwow), all of the aftercare is done by a Skoda Service Centre.

Yes my Service Centre master tech, does turn a blind eye to what is physically fitted but, turned off, cos they don't need to brown- nose Skoda UK, no bonuses or extra discounts applicable to a Service Centre so, they look after the customer, give them what they want.

My Master Tech's eyes were great when SUK would have turned down a warranty claim for pads & disks after only 4-1/2k miles, I'd seen the build up of metal on the pad causing a groove in the disc. But, his magic eye sight, saw a brake fluid leak requiring new brake calipers, discs & pads due to consequential damage.

Personally, I think my Master Tech's eye sightv will suit me & whatever car I drive for a long, long time

• Haha 1

Good on him or her, usually no skin off their nose or money out of their pockets.

As long as Skoda UK do not bother with a loss adjuster if your car needs a new DSG or just a MCU.

They are pretty good at starting with a search on Social Media when they are getting paid to save VW Group a couple of thousand or more.

15 minutes ago, Roottootemblowinootsoot said:

Good on him or her, usually no skin off their nose or money out of their pockets.

As long as Skoda UK do not bother with a loss adjuster if your car needs a new DSG or just a MCU.

They are pretty good at starting with a search on Social Media when they are getting paid to save VW Group a couple of thousand or more.

They had look over a suspected DSG oil leak today & concluded it's only a over temperature/pressure weep from & I quote "exuberant use" 😂😂😂😂 they know me so well

My car did this. And the booming/resonance. And the poor steering. And fading brakes. I noticed the ride and booming the day after I bought it. Awful. 

I tried to resolve it, fitted 4 new tyres, adding more and more soundproofing, various tyre pressures, kept it for 10 months and then got rid of it. 

Sorry. 

Edited by MC Bodge

1 hour ago, MC Bodge said:

My car did this. And the booming/resonance. And the poor steering. And fading brakes. I noticed the ride and booming the day after I bought it. Awful. 

I tried to resolve it, fitted 4 new tyres, adding more and more soundproofing, various tyre pressures, kept it for 10 months and then got rid of it. 

Sorry. 

The booming dont bother me, it's just the buzzy vibration through steering wheel. I've varied my tyre pressures as well which helps a little but it's like having my hands on the engine rather than the steering wheel when driving along. Was your a 1.0 tsi?

15 minutes ago, Leeroy1986 said:

The booming dont bother me, it's just the buzzy vibration through steering wheel. I've varied my tyre pressures as well which helps a little but it's like having my hands on the engine rather than the steering wheel when driving along. Was your a 1.0 tsi?

1.4TSI estate, 2016. 

16" rims, Rainsport tyres - soft. 

Edited by MC Bodge

On 18/02/2020 at 05:23, Leeroy1986 said:

Will do. I think problem is the michelin energy saver tyres and the car seems to be sensitive to tyres if that sounds right. Never known a car like it for being funny, gonna nickname her christine

I suspect it is the choice of tyres too, the clue is in words energy saver, they are designed to (marginally) save fuel, but of course can't defy the laws of physics, so something else has to give (and it sounds like comfort).  They are also summer tyres, so going to be be harder in cold weather (and Eco tyres tend to be harder still)

What size wheels / tyres do you have.   A lower profile tyre may look good in a billiard table smooth showroom, but isn't going to be comfortable on a rutted UK road, and sounds to me like you notice the ripples in the road.   I ask because if it drives you nuts, then may as well get smaller wheels and higher profile tyres (preferably not with eco biased summer tyres)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, SurreyJohn said:

I suspect it is the choice of tyres too, the clue is in words energy saver, they are designed to (marginally) save fuel, but of course can't defy the laws of physics, so something else has to give (and it sounds like comfort).  They are also summer tyres, so going to be be harder in cold weather (and Eco tyres tend to be harder still)

What size wheels / tyres do you have.   A lower profile tyre may look good in a billiard table smooth showroom, but isn't going to be comfortable on a rutted UK road, and sounds to me like you notice the ripples in the road.   I ask because if it drives you nuts, then may as well get smaller wheels and higher profile tyres (preferably not with eco biased summer tyres)

They are 205/65/16 and are michelin energy saver which came with car. Yeah I do as I think in sensitive to vibration, not so much sound though, the booming from inside the car dont bother me at all. I just thought with them being michelin they should ride well but as you say energy savers do have their downsides

13 minutes ago, Leeroy1986 said:

They are 205/65/16 and are michelin energy saver which came with car. Yeah I do as I think in sensitive to vibration, not so much sound though, the booming from inside the car dont bother me at all. I just thought with them being michelin they should ride well but as you say energy savers do have their downsides

Not the worlds most common size,

I would change them for Goodyear Vector 4-season Gen 2 (car version, don't buy the cargo version which is for vans, also available in that size)

Michelin don't make cross-climate in that size

If your car is a lease or PCP and going back, then store the energy saver tyres in your garage or shed, so you can have them refitted before you return it

Edited by SurreyJohn

13 minutes ago, Leeroy1986 said:

Are you sure they are not 205/55/16?  65 profile would make them nearly 6% out which is quite a lot.  The extra weight and higher speed will be confusing matters.

40 minutes ago, SurreyJohn said:

Not the worlds most common size,

I would change them for Goodyear Vector 4-season Gen 2 (car version, don't buy the cargo version which is for vans, also available in that size)

Michelin don't make cross-climate in that size

If your car is a lease or PCP and going back, then store the energy saver tyres in your garage or shed, so you can have them refitted before you return it

My identical car (apart from metallic) has 205 55 16 tyres so yes Cross Climates are available.

53 minutes ago, MarkyG82 said:

Are you sure they are not 205/55/16?  65 profile would make them nearly 6% out which is quite a lot.  The extra weight and higher speed will be confusing matters.

I do stand corrected yea 205/55/16 

Although a change in tyres might help do not in anyway think your issues are caused by the tyres because they are not.

It's just how the Mk3 MQB suspension and steering are designed and insulated.

2 hours ago, Leeroy1986 said:

I do stand corrected yea 205/55/16 

In that case you have much wider choice of tyres,

If you want to stay with Michelin, I suggest Cross climate plus

2 hours ago, Leeroy1986 said:

I had a mk2 octavia few years ago and I dont remember it being as harsh as this one, whether it's like most people say built to a budget

We've had our current Mk2 for 8 years, and a Mk1 some years earlier.

Our Mk3 lasted a year. The motorway refinement and reliability issues destroyed the ownership experience.

We still have our Mk2. It has plenty of harsh plastics inside and even the steering wheel is not leather.  So yes built to a budget but the ride, refinement and drive is perfectly acceptable even at motorway+ speeds.

The Mk3 has a more upmarket interior and upgraded tech but I think the cost savings were done in the wrong places which makes the ride unrefined with high levels of noise and harshness.

• Like 1