Retrofitting heated seats

Apologies if this has already been asked, if you install heated seats to an Octavia 2013 onwards vintage can you control it from the OEM button panel near the climate control.  I was hoping to source the control unit off ebay and use it to control the retro installed heat seat panels.

Any links etc gratefully received, thanks in advance.

Matt

You won’t be able to use the OEM climate panel and aftermarket heaters, you’ll need a pair of front seats with genuine heaters in and a cable set. There is a build thread in the guides section that looks at this. You will also have to take into consideration the BCM but as a general rule if you have an SE-L or vRS or above you should be fine on that front.

• Like 1

https://www.cars-equipment.com/en/shop/seat-heating-parts-comfort-5/oem-3aa959772-seat-heating-control-unit/

Did you mean this control unit Eddie? Ie could I feasibly use the OEM control panel - wired to this and then use that to control heat pads in the seats?

17 minutes ago, matthew richards said:

https://www.cars-equipment.com/en/shop/seat-heating-parts-comfort-5/oem-3aa959772-seat-heating-control-unit/

Did you mean this control unit Eddie? Ie could I feasibly use the OEM control panel - wired to this and then use that to control heat pads in the seats?

That is a relay and is used in most Vag cars to control the heated seats, there is a wire that goes to the bcm and that allows the relay to work.

power supply comes from fuse box and is switched by relay

On the Mk3 the relay is not used and the BCM is fully in control of power to each seat. So if your bcm doesn't have the pins you would need to change it

• Like 1

• 3 years later...
On 25/02/2020 at 22:46, Wangarai said:

@matthew richards this is the guide you need. Note, there is now an Octavia harness available so you don't need to modify the Golf Mk7 wiring connectors that I had to.

https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/464025-vrs-heated-leather-seat-retrofit/?tab=comments#comment-5208464

Hi. I bought that harness, but I dont know how to connect it. 
https://www.cars-equipment.com/en/shop/seat-heating-parts-comfort-5/wiring-for-front-seat-heating-retrofit-2/
My car is a LHD Nov’13 Octavia mk3 with this bcm

Address 09: Cent. Elect. (J519)       Labels:| 5Q0-937-08X-MV1.clb
   Part No SW: 5Q0 937 084 S    HW: 5Q0 937 084 S
   Component: BCM MQBAB M   H14 0112  
   Serial number: 00011313701384

I want to install heated seats, but I need to know how connect the harness to bcm

the harnness has got the next wires:
For left seat, I think:

- Brown with ring comnector for ground

- Red/green with a medium size femake connector maybe for +12v 

- purple wire with a small female connector

- white wire with a small female connector that has a split to the another seat connector 

for right seat: 

- brown wire too

- red/white with a medium size female connector maybe for +12v

- black/green with a female small connector. 
- the white wire. 

Also it has an extra red wire about 80cms lenght and two diferent female connectors in both sides.

Can I connect this harness to my bcm and activate heated seats bit in module 09 or do I need an extra control unit like this:

thanks in advance. 

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, STU3Y said:

Hi Guys,

Can anyone tell me, does the control panel have component protection and need pairing with odis after install?

The control panel does not have component protection - but it will need coding 

On 17/01/2024 at 17:37, ApertureS said:

The control panel does not have component protection - but it will need coding 

Hi,

What coding is required? And can it be done with obdeleven 

36 minutes ago, STU3Y said:

Hi,

What coding is required? And can it be done with obdeleven 

Copy the coding from original + changes to heated seats

Yes it can be done with obd11

you also need to carry out flap end stop calibration after

12 minutes ago, ApertureS said:

Copy the coding from original + changes to heated seats

Yes it can be done with obd11

you also need to carry out flap end stop calibration after

Where exactly I look to find the original coding?

• 1 month later...

OK so today i installed the wiring and control panel. 

I am still waiting for the seats pads to arrive.

Once I installed the new control panel with heated seats buttons, I tested the buttons and they lit up as expected and displayed the seat levels on the infotainment display.

There was also an option for heated steering wheel.

I noticed that the sync buttom my new panel seemed to be operating like a left hand drive (passenger one controlled both dials). 

I assume my unit was from LHD. I changed the setting to RHD, but didn't do anything. Randomly I plugged the old unit back in and coded RHD again, then plugged the new one in and it seemed to solve the issue. Don't ask me how?.

The problem I have now is, after the sync started working the heated seat level no longer displays in the infotainment screen. 

Any ideas?