factor fit towbar

prometheus

Does anyone know the roomster scout comes with a factory fitted tow bar, i picked up my 2011 roomster scout today and was suprised to find a towbar in with the spare wheel in with the moulding that takes the jack ext. :) and there is a removable panel in the bumper held on with 2 screws.

Yes ! 

My 2007 Roomster Scout had a factory fit towbar fitted as standard - I went to a nationwide towbar fitted who examined the back of the car then said he could fit me in the next day despite previously saying he was fully booked. 

When clearing the boot the next morning I also found a towbar in the moulding ... the crooked git had clocked that it was already fitted.

Mine also has a full length black and white panel between the clocks, the swinging headlights and cornering fog lights. 

Edited by b1ackb1rd

1 hour ago, b1ackb1rd said:

Yes ! 

My 2007 Roomster Scout had a factory fit towbar fitted as standard - I went to a nationwide towbar fitted who examined the back of the car then said he could fit me in the next day despite previously saying he was fully booked. 

When clearing the boot the next morning I also found a towbar in the moulding ... the crooked git had clocked that it was already fitted.

Mine also has a full length black and white panel between the clocks, the swinging headlights and cornering fog lights. 

what do mean by full length black and white panel between the clocks, i will have to check out the lights now as well 😛

33 minutes ago, prometheus said:

what do mean by full length black and white panel between the clocks, i will have to check out the lights now as well 😛

Mine has a full black screen with white writing - I'll be fitting the canbus adaptor soon, that will allow satnav directions to be displayed

3 hours ago, prometheus said:

Does anyone know the roomster scout comes with a factory fitted tow bar, i picked up my 2011 roomster scout today and was suprised to find a towbar in with the spare wheel in with the moulding that takes the jack ext. :) and there is a removable panel in the bumper held on with 2 screws.

Cool I look forward to seeing the changes , I also want to change the swing head unit for something a little better 

Now I am confused , removed the blanking plate on the bumper to expose the electrics and towball fitting only to find its not been cut out, suppose I will have to remove the bumper to see if the car really does have the tow bar fitted 

4 hours ago, NZ100 said:

Hi P, your confused,  I'm confused. 

I had a 2008 Roomster Scout and they never came with tow bar as standard,  you would have had to ask for it to be fitted.

i just assumed as the towball was in with the factory kit the rest of it was installed lol 😛

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, b1ackb1rd said:

May simply be a replacement bumper? 

you could be right fella, may have to take the bumper off to see whats there , i believe there should be a control unit behind the left panel in the boot.

will have to do some investigation when i get time and its not raining cats and dogs :)

36 minutes ago, beemerboy9 said:

Do you mean a towbar for towing a trailer or a towing eye for being towed (or towing another car) in an emergency?

no for towing a trailer, the factory towbar hitch is in with spare wheel but the bumper has not been cut out so it can be installed.

I am going to ask the dealer next week if there are the records for when the car was first manufactured

Do you have a trailer electrical socket?

If not then someone has just chucked a removable swan-neck into your boot.

5 hours ago, J.R. said:

it is possible the swan nect was placed in the boot but its a brand new factory item still with the keys attached, i cannot see any electrics but i wont know until i pop the bumper off

You mat see the towbar module behind the n/s boot trim.

You could also look at the build codes in your service book for a factory fitted towbar- there are websites that will tell you what they mean

• 1 month later...

Whilst fettling the tailgate I tried to fix a dead parking sensor, well after a fair bit of anglo-saxon it became apparent that the bumper had to come off.

This is the factory fit towbar and 13 pins electrics as proved by the build codes, and this is after a HUGE amount of cleaning - I will be fitting mudflaps asap !

2 hours ago, b1ackb1rd said:

Whilst fettling the tailgate I tried to fix a dead parking sensor, well after a fair bit of anglo-saxon it became apparent that the bumper had to come off.

This is the factory fit towbar and 13 pins electrics as proved by the build codes, and this is after a HUGE amount of cleaning - I will be fitting mudflaps asap !

cheers ofr that buddy, i had the iner panel off mine yesterday and i can confirm there are no electrics heading into the bumper apart from the parking sensors 😞

i will have to take the bumper off to see of the actual towbar is present, is it hard to get off ??

On 01/03/2020 at 13:01, J.R. said:

The electrical socket on the factory fitted towbar is behind the cover on the lower bumper, which the OP cannot remove.

• Thanks 1

On 25/02/2020 at 16:01, prometheus said:

Now I am confused , removed the blanking plate on the bumper to expose the electrics and towball fitting only to find its not been cut out, suppose I will have to remove the bumper to see if the car really does have the tow bar fitted 

I am confused, how were you able to remove the blanking plate if its "not been cut out"? Surely if you've removed it, then by its very nature it has been cut out?

Here is the cut out / blanking plate / cover in situ...

IMG_0623.JPG

Once removed...

IMG_0650.JPG

IMG_0654.JPG

What are the screws you mention? There are no screws. Unless the cover has become loose or the securing tabs have broken off and the previous owner has screwed it on instead?

Detachable swan necks aren't just randomly thrown in the boots of used cars, so if you have the outline of a removable panel, like this, then it is highly likely you'll have the receptacle for the towbar...

Skoda Roomster Roomster Scout Tdi Cr 105 - Large 7

Skoda Roomster Roomster Scout Tdi Cr 105 - Large 9

Skoda Roomster Roomster Scout Tdi Cr 105 - Large 10

Edited by silver1011

On 22/02/2020 at 19:12, prometheus said:

Standard...

image.png.c767066e170f8affc2dbe772fcf7cb56.png

Maxidot...

image.png.846d8c165a69fa05e20dea2f4a0e30bb.png

The swan neck panel the bumper of my Scout is held in place by two screws, half a turn and it pops out. 

You don't need to have this panel to see whether you have a towbar fitted, just put your hand up underneath the bumper and you'll be able to feel it. - there's a gaping gap between the inner wheelarch and the bumper, big enough for me to be able to reach the parking sensor. 

I think the easiest and cleanest way to see if you have a factory fitted towbar is to look on the build code sticker (in the boot, or your service book)