Sat Nav Updates

Hi all,

Been trying to update the maps on my 2016 Superb III without success.

I have downloaded the 2020 files to my windows pc then dragged the folder across to my SD card, which has been formatted to FAT 32.

When I load the SD card and update the version, the system says not data available, check device or data source.

Any help or advice much appreciated.

Regards

Tony

Hi

The Satnav updates are a bit of a dark art until you get used to them. There are threads on here about it and it is worth a search if you are struggling.

It sounds as if you haven't unzipped the files. Are you using Win10? If so, there is a utility called 7-zip which you can download (or it might already be installed). Unzip the folder and transfer the unzipped folders / files to your SD card or USB. Then it should work in the car. 

If you use Apple there are a few more steps, which are explained in the previous threads on the subject. Good luck with it. 👍

• Like 2

John,

Sorry for seeming a little thick but how do I put the two directories and file in the ROOT of the USB/SD?

Is this before unzipping the transferred files and do the files need to be put into the directories?

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Tony

Hi,

generally when you unzip the files you end up with two directories MIB1 and MIB2 plus some files. these need to be copied to the root of the update card, sometimes depending on what to use to do the un-zip it will place the files in a directory relating to the zip file name. If you copy this to the card the system will not find the update as it will not "burrow" down the directory structure as it expects to find the files in the root. Hope that helps. 

John

Did the Satnav update for a Columbus 9.2 inch  to ECE2020 yesterday. All went ok so this was my experience of how to do it.

Firstly, I was using a Windows 10 PC to download and prepare the update. No extra software required.

1. Went on to the Skoda update portal, put in my VIN and the ECE2020 maps update was available.

2. Downloaded the map to my PC. It was 26 GBytes and took about 2 hours on my average 32Mbps broadband connection

3. This gave me a zipfile called HIGH12_P184-EU_2020.zip
4. I unzipped this to the hard drive of my PC (Right-click on the file and select "Extract All")

5. This took a while but I ended up with a new folder with the same name as the original zip file (minus the .zip at the end)

6. Inside this folder were two subfolders - Mib1 and Mib2 - and a file called metainfo2.txt. These 3 items are all that you need.

7. Took a 32 GByte USB Flash drive, formatted it to FAT32 and connected to the PC.

8. I selected the three items from step 6 above (i.e. the folders Mib1, Mib2 and the file metainfo2.txt ) and copied these to the Flash drive

9. This process took about another 2 hours

10.Connected the Flash drive to the USB socket in the car.

11. Switched on ignition, opened Satnav, tapped the settings icon, then "Version information", then "Update (SD/USB")

12. It took a few minutes but then it started to upload the data with a percentage display showing progress

13. It took about 40 minutes to complete the upload - ignition has to be on so best to do this whilst driving somewhere.

That was it - all done successfully but note the time it takes to download, copy to USB, and install in the car,

Edited by BOD20
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Guys,

Thanks for all the advice, I'm still struggling, especially as I have to "borrow" a pc each time as I try to resolve this issue.

Bod 20, thanks for the step by step process, this will help my towards getting my maps updated. I will endeavour to try this when I next get access to a PC. I will keep you updated.

Thanks

Tony

Hi,

give me a PM and I can give you my address, send me a SAE with a SD card in it and I will put all the files on it then all you need to do is put it in the car and hit update

John

• Like 1

go to the vw site and use there updater it is all automatic and it formats your sd card and download the new up date for you i tried the skoda updater and the files always get corrupted and wont load you just have to look for the identical sat nave that vw use. the vw download tool is 

VW DiscoverCare just do a google search for it

• 2 weeks later...

hi all my satnav is a columbus and i just use a USB stick but you can use a SD card if you want it will format it and download the update and install it to the memory card or USB then you just put it in and it will up date it my car has the hard drive so it just goes on to that. Not sure if it will run from the SD card if your map runs from that. just go to the settings on map and update from there.

• 1 year later...

I'm having a basic problem with this: all the update images on the Update Portal seem to be corrupt. I've tried all available decompression tools under MacOS, Linux and (yuk!) Windows. They all agree that none of the image files are valid compressed images. Where do I go (apart from a dealer, and I foresee £ signs if I do that!)

1 hour ago, MartiniB said:

@koborn

then download from VW's or Seat's portal

Amundsen (Mib2) -> https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/498473-amundsen-mib2-map-updates-202223/

Columbus (Mib2H) -> https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/498563-columbus-map-update-2022-mib12-high/

No, you misunderstood. That's exactly what I did. The resultant downloads would not uncompress using any available system (didn't try it on the Android phone, due to lack of space!). I finally got it to work using a M$ Surface tablet (Win10 on a laptop wouldn't do it - claimed "empty archive" as did all other systems I tried - Mac and Linux). The Surface caused other problems as it's locked down and has no accessible USB or SD socket, and won't talk to local or remote storage servers. But hoops were jumped and I finally got an uncompressed copy somewhere I can use it!