Remaps

Mexico75

Hi, I know this has probably been answered elsewhere, but will a stage one remap invalidate my Skoda warrenty? 

I'm new to tuning new cars, everything I've done before has been 20 years out of warrenty and involved boring out the block and sticking twin Webbers on it. Now you need a PhD in advanced computer programming and a computer. 

Short answer= yes.

Long answer= do a load of searches on here it has been discussed many times with some choosing to take the risk but most waiting till after warranty is over.  There is at least one tuning company that offers cover for the engine and gearbox post remap but I can remember who.

• Like 1

I waited until my warranty was over before I had the vRS remapped (Revo Stage 1).  This was because Skoda were very clear that my warranty would be voided in its entirety.

However, someone on here recently posted a comment from Skoda saying that the warranty contract remains, but any components affected by the remap would not be covered, or words to that effect, which I thought was really interesting.  Annoyingly, that thread is currently eluding my ability to find it for the moment.

EDIT:  Found it - post by Doctor_Strange in the 'Anyone think remaps are worth it?' thread (Octy III forum):

'Had a much more logical reply from Rainworth dealership:

Thank you for your enquiry, the contractual warranty can only be declined if a component or components on your vehicle fail as a result of the re-map being carried out.

Any non-related claims shouldn’t be an issue'.

Gaz

Edited by IamGaz
Quote found
  • Like 1

• 6 months later...

i have a question about remaps of a TDI.

Is my understanding correct that by increasing the torque with the remap, you need lower rpm to archive the same speed as before the remap. So after the remap the car should in turn be a bit more quiet and the mpg should be better? Does that makes sense?

More power and torque transfers into more output from the same input. Therefore less input now gives the same output as before, hence the better economy. 
only problem is most people use the same input for more output and negate the economy boost. 
Its wee buns really. 

7 hours ago, Motion said:

, you need lower rpm to archive the same speed as before the remap. So after the remap the car should in turn be a bit more quiet and the mpg should be better? 

Lower rpm for same speed? No.

Less throttle input? Yes.

Is probably the same as what you asked but wanted to clarify just in case.

If you change your driving style to match the acceleration and speed you did before then you should see better mpg. If you drive with the same input as before then you will likely see better performance and maybe slightly better mpg.

As under said above, most people tend to enjoy the car more after a remap causing you to use more fuel. I know I do.

6 hours ago, UndertheRadar said:

More power and torque transfers into more output from the same input. Therefore less input now gives the same output as before, hence the better economy. 
only problem is most people use the same input for more output and negate the economy boost. 
Its wee buns really. 

If you have a spare 30 minutes would you mind knocking up a perpetual motion machine for me? and if that works out than maybe a time machine?

When you use units like power, torque & output (being motion & acceleration)  then you really should say "throttle input" because the input to the system would be energy from the fuel.

38 minutes ago, J.R. said:

If you have a spare 30 minutes would you mind knocking up a perpetual motion machine for me? and if that works out than maybe a time machine?

When you use units like power, torque & output (being motion & acceleration)  then you really should say "throttle input" because the input to the system would be energy from the fuel.

Depends on your budget!!

• Like 1