Help please lumpy idle

Hey y'all, haven't been on here for a while, still got my mk1 and its been a great motor. Up until now it's been driving perfectly, then it started getting a knocking noise which its had for a while, I've had drive shaft replaced. Knocking noise is now gone, but it now has a lumpy idle (going between about 1000-1500rpm) and EPC light is on and brake performance isnt what it was, its like the old days before abs/ebd, you need to use a heck of a lot more force to get the same braking performance.

Its got 3 fault codes:

P2101 throttle actuator control motor circuit range/performance

P0171 system too lean (Bank 1)

P0106 manifold absolute pressure/barometric pressure circuit range/performance problem

Please can any of you kind peeps translate that into what is likely causing the problem? Many thanks in advance!

Edited to add was serviced recently (air filter, oil filter, oil etc), and all fluids are at max (coolant, pas, brake, oil etc). The last mot reported that the front exhaust has a minor leak of exhaust gases flexi pipe, could this be related to the lumpy idle and epc light?

Edited by SkodaFabiaOwner

Oh no really, thanks, this is all since having the driveshaft done, they didn't open the bonnet though. Could it have been kinked somehow near the caliper? It was never left dangling though. There is no fluid on the ground and brake fluid is at max, if hydralic cable was split I would have thought there would be loss of fluid? Cheers

I  occasionally stall my Fabia Mk1 for no obvious reason; the car then runs under- throttled and under- powered. After stopping and parking for a while all becomes as normal

. I used an OBD11 fault code finder to check the engine which returned just the one fault code P0322 -"Ignition/Dist Engine Spreed Input Circuit -No Signal". Is this something there is a simple fix for please-

The servo is what the brake fluid reservoir is attached to. It's a round black drum. There is a plastic vacuum pipe that comes from it to the intake manifold and they are notorious for cracking. Your symptoms could definitely be caused by this.

Edited by TMB

It could indeed cause those codes. You could possibly have more than one fault but start with the pipe as they fail all too frequently.

What model is your Fabia?

• Thanks 1

I had to replace mine and the pipe was about £30 from Skoda. They are usually just a push fit into the servo and a hose clip or other connector on the other end.

Edited by TMB

Thanks TMB does your advice cover my problem/fault code symptom too?

I recall many years ago when windscreen wipers were vacuum operated that they had a vacuum bleed from the inlet manifold to a reservoir , a leak there  affected both wipers and the air/fuel mix.  

my Problem can start at the first start attempt, or twice has stalled when at rest at traffic lights for instance, and feels as though only using 3 cyinders(i.e lacking power, slow to reach3-4K revs when revving)- and of course performed perfectly when describing to a friend! A recent suspected exhaust renewal fault was checked at the garage, but none found. I bought the fault code finder which returned the T0322 fault code- the only code found.

17 minutes ago, ianmcd said:

I recall many years ago when windscreen wipers were vacuum operated...

Yeah, and the faster you drove the slower they went 😄

Thanks so much TMB and Sepulchrave you guys know your stuff!! Checked the pipe and it had indeed popped off, the cynic in me thinks it was pulled off by the individual doing the driveshaft change as the pipe was dusty apart from a hand size amount rubbed off and it was fine before and not straight after. They were probably hoping for more work. I've cleared the fault codes, braking performance is back and all good, cheers again for saving me from another bill I could do without, all the best mate!! Such helpful people on here... 👍

Edited by SkodaFabiaOwner
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 5 months later...