Oil usage

I have had an Amber oil warning appear on the dash of my sportline 1.5 tsi superb. I have checked and it does seem a bit low. The car is only 7 months old and done 9000 miles. Is this normal usage? Not particularly been driven hard and I made sure I ran it in properly. Be interesting to see if anyone else has had this 

@Madone

The owners manual did tell you that the Oil consumption could be slightly higher in the first 5,000 km,

& that oil consumption could be as much as 0.5l in 1,000 km.    (They have said that for years for all engines, sometimes it is actually the case.)

As @2wheelsgood said, the oil level at hand over from the PDI is not guaranteed to have the oil and max capacity.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/470119-check-oil-level-warning-query

Edited by Roottootemblowinootsoot
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
40 minutes ago, Steviedakota said:

1l between services is normal for these engines, just keep an eye on it.

It's not 'normal' I'd rather say it's possible, and within spec.

We have lots of examples of ea888 engines never using a drop between services, mine included.

Edited by digifish

4 hours ago, digifish said:

It's not 'normal' I'd rather say it's possible, and within spec.

Is  'normal' not the same as 'within spec'?

Anyhoo, previous Passat 1.4tsi non ACT and our two current 1.4 ACT engines nearly always take a litre every 15,000km or so.

16 minutes ago, Steviedakota said:

Is  'normal' not the same as 'within spec'?

Anyhoo, previous Passat 1.4tsi non ACT and our two current 1.4 ACT engines nearly always take a litre every 15,000km or so.

Not really. Normal is not using any, or much oil. The spec allows quite significant consumption.

I am calling normal the Modal consumption, the spec is wide to cover their backsides. 

Engines that do use oil are not broken, but its not normal either.

Edited by digifish

3 hours ago, MartiniB said:

1l on 2k Km 😞

QeAAAgLNjeA-1920.jpg

Do I read wrong or you fill in up to 8-10l at each oil replacement?

It seems to me very important...🤔

@MartiniB Oh, that's pretty low. VAG recommandations are only 15000Km. Do you have specific reasons to shorten the distance between 2 replacements this way ?

Edited by Bap33

On 26/02/2020 at 19:16, Madone said:

I didn't check it to be honest. Would have been more mindful if the car was mine and not a company car. Sounds fairly typical then, I'll top it up and keep an eye on it for future usage. Thanks for the responses 

Probably a bit late now, but make sure you top up with oil that meets the VW508.00 specification (0W20). This assumes the car hasn't yet had its first service.

Be sure to also ask the dealer what oil they use on the cars first service. It seems to vary on the 1.4 TSI, 1.5 TSI and 2.0 TSI engines that left the factory with 0W20, some dealers use the same oil again, others use VW504.00 / VW507.00 (5W30) instead, like mine did.